Audiophile Optical Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using this cable in Bangalore? Would love to try out a couple if possible before committing.

MaSh

Hi Mash,
Audioquest may be a good quality cable no doubt but they are too expensive to justify their cost IMHO. I am sure there may be other good quality cables available at a lesser cost.

I bought profigold optic cable from Jamstick online store located in Bangalore
Mobile-+91 99675 53013
Whatsup-95914 66633
www. Jamstick.com
They have both profigold and audioquest , monoprice, bandridge, valueline
All the best
+1 for monoprice optical. Have heard them many times. I found it better than AB and BR.

Okay managed to get a belkin and an unbranded white colour cable to compare . Bluerigger sounds much more open, better highs. Belkin was next best, on the warmer side. Unbranded was well so so.

One thing for sure, all cables even optical are not same. There were 4 pairs of ears in the room, non audiophiles, just music lovers. We listened to same song , full song on each cable, same volume. Difference was clear.

Hunt continues.

MaSh

Last edited:
I don't understand how digital cable can make diff all digital cable has to do is pass signal 0 or 1, my internet cable coming from dealer DP to home is hell cheaper and it pass 100mbps connection.
So i really doubt until digital cable is faulty its gonna make any diff.

i was also intrigued and did not believe it earlier. i m however now convinced after i did some experiments myself.

normally in spdif buffering is not done at the receiver side, music is played instantly as and when data is received.

For just one second of music, 56 lacs 1s and 0s have to be transmitted via spdif. (56,44,800 to be precise). they all will arrive at the receiver end, no issues in that. however all these 56 lacs should arrive exactly in 1 second, nothing more nothing less. let's say instead of 1 second they arrive in 1.03 seconds then you will hear more bass , and thicker sounds and let's say it arrives in 0.97 second then you will hear more highs giving an impression of high end.

These 56 lacs 1s and 0s are highly affected by the speed of sendor.
they are also affected by the plastic used in optical fibre.
they are also affected by conversion connector if any used. e.g. toslink to mini or vice versa.

i was also intrigued and did not believe it earlier. i m however now convinced after i did some experiments myself.

normally in spdif buffering is not done at the receiver side, music is played instantly as and when data is received.

For just one second of music, 56 lacs 1s and 0s have to be transmitted via spdif. (56,44,800 to be precise). they all will arrive at the receiver end, no issues in that. however all these 56 lacs should arrive exactly in 1 second, nothing more nothing less. let's say instead of 1 second they arrive in 1.03 seconds then you will hear more bass , and thicker sounds and let's say it arrives in 0.97 second then you will hear more highs giving an impression of high end.

These 56 lacs 1s and 0s are highly affected by the speed of sendor.
they are also affected by the plastic used in optical fibre.
they are also affected by conversion connector if any used. e.g. toslink to mini or vice versa.
Wow, that's amazing info. So is the speed of transmission altered on purpose to give it a brand signature?

MaSh

difficult to say if it is done purposefully or not. i don't think purposefully but it might be due to the nature of the electronics.
And even if the transmitter speed is fine, the cable can change the speed.

And it's not just one constant speed we are talking about. the constant does not remain constant and changes over time, over and over again. Drift as we call it.

Last edited:
difficult to say if it is done purposefully or not. i don't think purposefully but it might be due to the nature of the electronics.
And even if the transmitter speed is fine, the cable can change the speed.

And it's not just one constant speed we are talking about. the constant does not remain constant and changes over time, over and over again. Drift as we call it.
Amit , if you find a difference enjoy it and mention it in case others want to try it..no need to defend it technically :)

I'm sharing my experience of the Audioquest Carbon optical cable. They are braided, hence stiff and don't bend easily (Please don't try to bend optical cables, apparently they break :)). The sound is very clear and transparent, if I may say so. Using revealing gear, they sound a bit thin and harsh, even after burn-in. I've used it with my Chord Mojo, since the mojo has a thick, laid back sound sig, they pair well. They sell for around Rs.11k at the av store website.

One very good cable is Micca premium optical. unfortnately its scarcely available on amazon india and abroad. it is not very expensive. i found it very neutral and extremely good. they sound neither thin nor thick.
i don't think any plastic optical can get better.

Last edited:
Have picked a mass-market Optical Cable for now. Hunt will continue for a better cable if there is one.

Thread can be Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back