AudioTechnica TT

madman29

Hi everybody,
Finally I am looking for a new turntable, and as I had a technics SL-D3 (DD-TT) I will prefer to buy a Direct drive table. I would love to buy an Audio-Technica AT-PL120. Does anybody know a dealer of AT? Is it at all available in India? If yes, what is the price? I have checked the net and found that it sells for around $205 at Amazon, though the company quoted price is $399.
Also I have a dealer in Kolkata selling Sherwood PM-9805 for around Rs.10,000 which looks quite impressive (almost like the Audio-Technica model). It is belt driven but with Pitch control and other bells and whistle a direct drive TT is supposed to have. The problem is there is no review of this model anywhere. Does anybody own this model? Can anybody tell me anything about this model:confused:

Hi everybody,
44 hits and and not a single word makes me sure that Audio-Technica TT is not available in India. But I have found a site which sells AT-PL 120 and can courier it to India at any home address.

Audio-Technica | AT-PL120 Direct Drive Professional | AT-PL120

The price including carring charge is Rs.16000 approx. Does anybody have any experince buying these things over net? Do I have to pay customs/import duty when it reaches India though I am buying it for personal use.:confused:

Hi everybody,
44 hits and and not a single word makes me sure that Audio-Technica TT is not available in India. But I have found a site which sells AT-PL 120 and can courier it to India at any home address.

The price including carring charge is Rs.16000 approx. Does anybody have any experince buying these things over net? Do I have to pay customs/import duty when it reaches India though I am buying it for personal use.:confused:

You have to pay customs duty for any item whether for personal or professional use. The only way you can avoid duty is to get a permit from the customs authorities BEFORE you order for the item. That too if the item is in a list they have which is exempt from duty.

Generally the courier should pay the duty and take it from you. Check with the courier company that B&H uses before you order.

There are a number of members who have and are purchasing items through the net. I am not too sure about the way these things will be packed and sent all the way from US or Europe.

I usually purchase the item online when I am travelling, and carry it as personal baggage when I return. Last time I purchased a DVD player. I carried it in my hand all the way fussing over it as if it was a new born baby.

Audio Technica looks like a professional turntable. You should check with some shops that sell professional equipment. They may have stock or may be ready to import it for you against an order.

I think that can be a good place to start. I know a few professional audio store in Kolkata. But yesterday I came to know that someone in Kolkata wants to sell his quartz lock - direct drive tt by Technics. Will give it a audition this week. The model no. is SL-Q303. Any comments on the model anybody?

Hi everybody,
Finally I am looking for a new turntable, and as I had a technics SL-D3 (DD-TT) I will prefer to buy a Direct drive table. I would love to buy an Audio-Technica AT-PL120. Does anybody know a dealer of AT? Is it at all available in India? If yes, what is the price? I have checked the net and found that it sells for around $205 at Amazon, though the company quoted price is $399.
Also I have a dealer in Kolkata selling Sherwood PM-9805 for around Rs.10,000 which looks quite impressive (almost like the Audio-Technica model). It is belt driven but with Pitch control and other bells and whistle a direct drive TT is supposed to have. The problem is there is no review of this model anywhere. Does anybody own this model? Can anybody tell me anything about this model:confused:

Hi,
I was looking at the AT-PL120 as well, but am now looking at getting a stock, new Technics SL1200 mk2 and modding it to save myself from the customs hassle and the possible 'DOA' situation. As far as I've read, the AT is almost a clone of the SL. Maybe someone who's using an SL could chime in with their thoughts.
Cheers!

Hi everybody,

Hi,

I was looking for the AT-PL50 model and contacted the Singapore office. They informed me that Vikas Corporation is the authorised distributor for Audio Technica products. I got a mail from Mr. Vikas that the model AT-PL 50 is not a regular item and there should be minimum order or 20 pieces and the delivery lead time is 60 days for the item. The approximate price for AT-PL50 is Rs. 15000 + VAT + frieght charges.

Your model may be available with them. modeYou can contact Mr. Vikas through mail or phone. Contact details are below:

Contact person: Mr. VIKAS SADARANGANI

TEL : 91-222-3808750 -51

FAX:91-222-3872106

email: [email protected]

Hope this information will be useful to you. I have also sent you a PM about these details.

Last edited:
Don't do it !!!

This is another mid-fi compromised turntable. Any turntable that is square (or near square) does not have the arm mounted per optimum geometry. With such carelessness on part of the manufacture I can only imagine the rest of the turntable is also carelessly designed.

If you can streatch your budget a bit, get a Rega planer P1 turntable. Its not direct drive but that good because direct drive sucks.

The P1 arm is mounted properly taking best geometry. Its rectangular.

When it comes to sound quality I am quite sure the P1 will blow away this audiotechnia thing.

If you are after best sound quality go for the Rega P1 (or better).

If you are more impressed by techie looks then go for this audio whatever thing.

Last edited:
I am a fan of Turn Tables. I right now have one PHILLIPS Hi Q International System with me. But I want to buy a new one. My Budget is 10-15K. Please suggest me which one I should go for and from where I can source, the new TT should support my ONKYO 3100 5:1 HT.

Hi everybody,

Hi,

Avoid this model.It is a clone of Technics( in looks).Part quality is nowhere near to Technics Sl series turntables.Same applies for Sherwood and many entry level TTs.Please avoid them.

Regards,

Sachin

I think that can be a good place to start. I know a few professional audio store in Kolkata. But yesterday I came to know that someone in Kolkata wants to sell his quartz lock - direct drive tt by Technics. Will give it a audition this week. The model no. is SL-Q303. Any comments on the model anybody?

HI,

Technics SL-Q303 is a nice mid level TT, better than most of entry and mid level TTS.Motor is Quarts lock as Sl-1200 series.You should get a fairly maintained TT @ around 7000/-(cartridge included).

Regards,

Sachin

I second sachu. Dont go for Shrewood or Audio Technica. They were my choices too, when I was looking for TT last year. Finally I got a pre-owned Kenwood Direct Drive for Rs.6K. I am really happy with that. Either wait for some good pre-owned TTs or if your budget permits better go for new pro-ject TTs

I think you should see in the pre owned TT market as the budget you have mentioned will buy some entry level denon tts which are not good. If you can up your budget a bit you can go for Project tts.
To me nothing beats a SL1200.:cool:

Wait..if you can - I am giving ad for my Pioneer Direct Drive TT with NEW shure catridge......
( Mods ,if you feel this is unnecessary/unwanted ad please delete this post.)

@hemant: Yes its unnecessary and I am going to delete it because I am also interested in your TT so better no one knows :) Just kidding, as long as you aint selling it in this thread its fine

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back