Audyssey Multi EQ or Marvell Qdeo processing - What is more important

iRock

Folks...
in my search for budget AVR's - I have came across cross road and need help from experts...

My budget can afford me Denon 1912, Onkyo HT-RC 360 (or 609)

Onkyo has very nice video processing - Marvell Qdeo 4k up scaling (only few receivers in this budget range have this) and has Only Audyssey 2 EQ.

Denon has Audyssey Multi EQ but does not have any video processing at all.

AVR will be mated to Polk blackstone set (I am currently testing it with Onkyo and I am liking it sonically) and my main usage will be in India with AVR being used for driving 46-50" flat panel with decent amount of TV usage involved daily.

Biggest question is - what is more important - Video processing or Audyssey Multi EQ ???

Please help....

There are lots of IFs and BUTs in the answer.

At the outset, Audyssey and and Video Processing are two different technologies. One deals with speaker set up, and the other deals with processing of video signals on a regular basis.

Usually you use a Audyssey just a couple of times in the life of the receiver. Once when you set up the receiver and speakers and maybe 2 or 3 times more as all the units burn in. On the other hand, video processing is used every day, whenever you see a movie.

Now come the IFs and BUTs. If you see Blu-Rays predominantly, you do not need any upscaling at all. If you use a decent media player or a Blu-Ray/DVD Player that has it's own upscaling engine, you no not need an upscaler in the receiver.

So take your pick.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think some of the Audessy implementations have Audessy DSX or Audessy Volume or Audessy Dynamic Eq which are used all the time as these process sound. In this case the Audessy is more of a necessity (to the best of my knowledge the receivers which posses Audessy Multi Eq possess some of the above implementations of Audessy).

Last edited:
I think some of the Audessy implementations have Audessy DSX or Audessy Volume or Audessy Dynamic Eq which are used all the time as these process sound. In this case the Audessy is more of a necessity (to the best of my knowledge the receivers which posses Audessy Multi Eq possess some of the above implementations of Audessy).

Quite possible. At the same time, the process does not make much sense if there is no feedback. The only way Audyssey can get constant feedback is to have the microphone connected all the time. What it could be doing is to maintain a set of parameters in an internal memory and use those parameters to adjust the sound. Since this is a no-feedback mechanism, how much value it has is questionable. A cleaner method is to rerun Audyssey every two odd months so that the receiver and speaker combination is set and reset properly.

Cheers

There are lots of IFs and BUTs in the answer.

Usually you use a Audyssey just a couple of times in the life of the receiver. Once when you set up the receiver and speakers and maybe 2 or 3 times more as all the units burn in. On the other hand, video processing is used every day, whenever you see a movie.

Cheers

Thanks Sir...

Generic question I am facing is - does any of these video up-scaling help in Indian TV viewing scenario's. Cause mostly that is where issue lies.. Not all channels are broadcast in HD which would have been Ok on smaller screens...

By keeping Video up conversion "ON" helps watching SD channels?

I was actually talking of the (i) Audessy Volume which acts like Dolby Volume and normalizes volume across sources) (ii) Audessy DSX which has some sound enhancements like Dolby Prologic IIxn and (iii) Audessy Dynamic Eq (maybe something like THX Re-Q)

These do some sort of sound processing if I am not mistaken and allow you have a sound field like the other surround modes. Do these also need feedback ?

I was actually talking of the (i) Audessy Volume which acts like Dolby Volume and normalizes volume across sources) (ii) Audessy DSX which has some sound enhancements like Dolby Prologic IIxn and (iii) Audessy Dynamic Eq (maybe something like THX Re-Q)

These do some sort of sound processing if I am not mistaken and allow you have a sound field like the other surround modes. Do these also need feedback ?

Based on the Manual of receiver and Audessy forumns - these two technologies do NOT need feedback.

It does apply some kind of processing to sound output though.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back