Need help with 5.1.2/4 and Multi Room Audio, Budget:1.5 to 3 Lakhs.

_Satish_

Hi,
This is my first post here, glad I found it at the right time. Our new homes ceiling work starts in couple of weeks.

I usually do a through research on anything I want to buy/build, and its the fun part. But in case of the speakers and AVRs, the knowledge required is overwhelming. I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.
So I seek you guidance and help in making the right choice.

Usage: Movies, and TV shows. Dialogue clarity is very important.
Room size: It's a 26*12.5" hall. A 5-6 feet wide partition will separate the living (12.5*12*) and dining.

Looking for a VFM setup, so the wide range in budget.

When I first started my research for an AVR, it stopped at Denon AVR-X4500h, from there I couldn't get accurate info on
  • If I need an expensive receiver like that for a small space like mine.
  • If it's not an overkill, what kind of speakers. Are bookshelves fine.
5.1.2 or 5.1.4?
  • Either way, I don't want lot of speakers around. So can I have the Atmos speakers setup in the ceiling?
  • TV Unit design can be changed, and if absolutely necessary the partition can be moved to make the living 12.5"x13 instead of 12.5*12.

Multi Room Audio
For multi room audio ( Same source playing in all rooms), what is the recommended number of speakers for each room? Will I need a separate Amp for each room or one will do?
How much does each speaker cost for multi room audio? I'm planning to have them hidden in ceiling similar to the ones in cars.

Thank you for taking time to read the long post :)

PFA, Floor plan and the render of the living room. Interior work hasn't started yet, so modification are possible.

PS: I live in hyderabad, any store/sellers recommendations are welcome. Unfortunately I was out of station during the hifi vision show :(

Screenshot-2019-09-10-at-1.36.39-AM.jpg

Attachments

• DWG-12.jpg
    DWG-12.jpg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 52
Hi Satish

Welcome to the forum. With false ceiling you can very well install in-ceiling speakers. 5.1.4 will be good for atmos. Since you have mentioned modifications are possible and that you do not want lot of speakers laying around, please check in-wall speakers as well. Avr you can also check at Marantz 6013 and using the saved money you can plan for a 3 channel power amplifier for the LCR. Also having dual subwoofers will help in achieving a smooth and tight bass.Good luck with your search.Speakers for starters you can check Polk,Dali,Qacoustics,etc. subwoofers Bic,svs,xtz,rythmik etc.

@Love4sound has summed it up quite well. But, by looking at your attached image, I feel 5.1.4 might not be much effective for your seating position since there is no significant space behind your sofa. 5.1.2 would suffice. Also, try to isolate power lines from speaker wires in rooms where you would want to place speakers. Marantz 6013 is a very good suggestion and can handle 5.2.2 in your living room and power a couple of speakers in zone 2. For the given price range, choosing speakers for other rooms is mostly a trade-off between looks (convenience or ambiance) and sound quality. You can go for small bookshelves or ceiling/in-wall speakers. Others can chime in on this and provide a different perspective :)

Will be sufficient.
Check Yamaha RX-A 880.
Certain on wall speakers can be used. Will maintain the aesthetics.
Hall is big with openings. One powerful subwoofer is must.
Total volume the sub has to fill is above 4000cuft.( Considering the height to be 10ft) As the kitchen seems to be open.

Good luck.

If I need an expensive receiver like that for a small space like mine.

+1 for Marantz SR6013, good choice.. Denon x 3600 is the newest release, which can do 9.2 out of the box.. For your room size, since you sit against the back wall, you can have one pair of heights slightly above your listening position and one more pair above the fronts, Front heights..

5.1.2 or 5.1.4?

You can also settle down for 5.1.2, if you prefer inexpensive route.. Denon x 3500 would be a good choice..

Either way, I don't want lot of speakers around. So can I have the Atmos speakers setup in the ceiling?

5 speakers (standard layout) around your listening position, at ear-level and one (or) two pairs of in-ceiling / BS above your listening position for heights..

If it's not an overkill, what kind of speakers. Are bookshelves fine.

Try to listen to speakers aval for demo in your town and you may settle for one among the brands that you liked..

PFA, Floor plan and the render of the living room. Interior work hasn't started yet, so modification are possible.

If you could share actual pics of your room, would be better.. Most sides of your present layout opens to other rooms.. Would you be willing to swap sides?.. It is atleast better to have L-C-R portion of speaker with symmetrical walls.. Hence..

Since you have mentioned modifications are possible and that you do not want lot of speakers laying around, please check in-wall speakers as well.
Hi @Love4sound , Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't know that in wall speakers was an option, with only 4" depth requirement they are perfect :). Thanks a lot.
you can plan for a 3 channel power amplifier for the LCR
Why do I need a separate amplifier for LCR? What are the advantages?
Also, any idea about the price of Marantz 6013? Denon AVR-4500 and 6013 are almost same on Amazon. On the Denon owners thread people were quoting 95-115k for 4500.

@ktks1,
From what I have read so far today, 5.2.4 is recommended over 5.2.2, how about 5.2.4 with Atmos enabled speakers at the rear? PFA pic for reference.

For multi room audio, I'm looking for ceiling speakers. If they go beyond budget, I will hold off on the purchase. But, I want to finalise the speakers so that I can have the cut made in the ceiling. I'm guess I can buy dummy speaker covers.

Between ceiling and book shelves, which are better for multi room audio? Are book shelves better for bedroom since some part of the usage might be lying on the bed?

@elangoas

Denon x 3600 is the newest release, which can do 9.2 out of the box
I was considering getting it from UK, price difference wasn't much when compared 4500. So did not consider it.

"BS above your listening position for heights"
BS?

You can also settle down for 5.1.2, if you prefer inexpensive route.. Denon x 3500 would be a good choice..
Will go for a staggered purchase if it goes beyond budget.

Most sides of your present layout opens to other rooms.. Would you be willing to swap sides?

It is atleast better to have L-C-R portion of speaker with symmetrical walls
I initially considered having the TV on the wall containing the main door as it would also give me more distance. But all the interior designers we consulted recommenced the current position for the TV. Look and convenience wise, we also like it.
Also, we would not be able to place the TV and the LCR in the centre as we have the main door on that wall.

If you could share actual pics of your room, would be better..
Its just walls at the moment, attaching some more renders.

Once again, thank you all for the recommendations and suggestions :)

Attachments

• PHOTO-2019-05-31-17-42-10.jpg
    PHOTO-2019-05-31-17-42-10.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 37
  • PHOTO-2019-09-04-11-57-09.jpg
    PHOTO-2019-09-04-11-57-09.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PHOTO-2019-08-09-18-03-19.jpg
    PHOTO-2019-08-09-18-03-19.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2019-09-10_at_11_39_23_PM.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-09-10_at_11_39_23_PM.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi @Love4sound , Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't know that in wall speakers was an option, with only 4" depth requirement they are perfect :). Thanks a lot.

Why do I need a separate amplifier for LCR? What are the advantages?
Also, any idea about the price of Marantz 6013? Denon AVR-4500 and 6013 are almost same on Amazon. On the Denon owners thread people were quoting 95-115k for 4500.

The more power speakers get the better they perform.A power amplifier drastically improves the sound quality compared to AVR. 95k for 4500 is grey market price. I got mine for 116500 but the lowest quote i got was 110000. 6013 grey market price is 70-72k and should be available for 90-95k.

I was considering getting it from UK, price difference wasn't much when compared 4500. So did not consider it.

Ok great.. If that works out cheaper for you then fine..

Book Shelf speakers

Will go for a staggered purchase if it goes beyond budget.

I initially considered having the TV on the wall containing the main door as it would also give me more distance. But all the interior designers we consulted recommenced the current position for the TV. Look and convenience wise, we also like it.
Also, we would not be able to place the TV and the LCR in the centre as we have the main door on that wall.

Ok..

From what I have read so far today, 5.2.4 is recommended over 5.2.2, how about 5.2.4 with Atmos enabled speakers at the rear? PFA pic for reference.

For multi room audio, I'm looking for ceiling speakers. If they go beyond budget, I will hold off on the purchase. But, I want to finalise the speakers so that I can have the cut made in the ceiling. I'm guess I can buy dummy speaker covers.

Between ceiling and bookshelves, which are better for multi room audio? Are book shelves better for bedroom since some part of the usage might be lying on the bed?

5.2.4 is definitely recommended for a more enveloping sound. But since your seating is very close to the wall, getting the most of your surround speakers will be a challenge. You can try for bipole speakers for rear surround channels as they diffuse the sound to give a better surround effect.

For multi-room:
1. Ceiling speakers if you are worried about space and ambiance.
2. Bookshelves if you want better sound.

@elangoas , For symmetry, Can we use a thick curtain that will be hidden between the ceiling and the beam in the centre of the room.
If yes, any recommendations?

Anyone here done that before?

@elangoas , For symmetry, Can we use a thick curtain that will be hidden between the ceiling and the beam in the centre of the room.
If yes, any recommendations?

Anyone here done that before?
Speakers with directivity wave guide help to reduce asymmetry to a certain extent.
As the dispersion angle reduces from 180° to say around 90°
And with this comes the added benefit of higher sensitivity.
Which is very important in a HT.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back