Auralic Aries

reignofchaos

Anyone heard or tried this device?

6moons audio reviews: AURALiC Aries

Seems like a thoroughly audio optimized arm cortex a9 based computer with femto clocks for low jitter and an optimized linear power supply. Supports both USB and SPDIF outputs with support for pretty much every format under the sun. Very soon it will support direct read of hard drives. (Right now it only feeds off a NAS) Comes with a remote and also has an ipad app.

This device appears to be a very very good optimized computer replacement. The price at 1499$ seems quite fair for all the engineering and software involved. A bonus is that it appears to be very good looking too.

I have been following this as well !. They have a cheaper option as well and the compromise is in the clock and the powersupply..the 2 things which might make this a better option than a Mac mini

What i liked is it takes the computer out of the equation and can read directly from NAS disks ..and in the future HDDs directly.

I have been following this as well !. They have a cheaper option as well and the compromise is in the clock and the powersupply..the 2 things which might make this a better option than a Mac mini

What i liked is it takes the computer out of the equation and can read directly from NAS disks ..and in the future HDDs directly.

Yep its good for folks who are too lazy to build and optimize an audio pc from ground up. Even for folks who already have an audio pc, its not a bad idea just for the clock accuracy which as anyone who has been serious about digital audio knows is make or break.

I might snag one once native usb hard drive playback is put in along with .iso support.

Actually any USB Class 2 compliant dac will work for PCM. So virtually any XMOS chipset dac should be compatible.

For DSD though, the dac needs to support the DOP protocol to work. Personally I'm not a fan of the Vega - having heard it once or twice, its a bit lean sounding to my ears.

Thanks ROC. I have never heard the Vega. Basing it on reviews I have read. I have always had the Burr Brown 1704 chip in my dac. But they don't make them anymore. Planning to get into computer audio one of these days. My present shortlisted DAC is Metrum Hex.

RoC, have you heard the Hex or anything in $2500 to $3500 price range preferably with DSD which you would recommend to audition?

Personally I'm not a fan of the Vega - having heard it once or twice, its a bit lean sounding to my ears.

Audio-GD have the PCM1704 chips in their top two models. Maybe worth a dekko. One is a pure DAC while the other is DAC + preamp.

I have always had the Burr Brown 1704 chip in my dac. But they don't make them anymore. Planning to get into computer audio one of these days.

From what I recall, the BB 1704 DAC Chip has a robust, full bodied sound, which I like.... Unlike the ESS Sabre DAC Chip which I find sounding lean.

Ofcourse a LOT depends on the rest of the circuit and the final voicing which is always done to match the House Sound of that manufacturer / brand.

To that end, I believe its more relevant to get a handle on each Brand's House sound, than the specific circuit implementation.

Having said that, I would like to propose you guys look at the CHORD 76 HDSD DAC or it younger sibling the Hugo. Super sound all round.

I am using it, and anyone interested is welcome for a listen. (Mumbai).

I also know of a Pre Owned Chrod 76 DAC ( Non DSD) on sale here in Mumbai, at an attractive price. ( Nope, mine is NOT for sale :) )

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back