USB-C and Audio

venkatcr

USB-C and Audio
Some time ago, Charu (my wife) got a high-end tablet from Samsung. Around the same time, I laid my hands on a brand new Dell XPS13 laptop.

The interesting thing about the Samsung tablet is that it does NOT have a 3.5 mm audio jack. It claims to send all audio through its USB-C port. We got our hands on a USB-C to 3.5 mm audio adaptor. This is essentially a small cable that has a USB-C male on one end and a 3.5 mm female jack on the other. This, I realised later, is popularly called USB-C Dongle. Anyhow, the first dongle we got did not work. So we returned it to the vendor and got a ‘higher version’ of the same brand. That worked. This got my grey cells working overtime to help me understand what was happening here.

First , The Audio Ports
Jacks that transmit audio data from a host to a receiver have been around for a long time. On earphones or headphones, the original 6.5 mm connector has been around since 1868 and is still used in many devices. The ubiquitous 3.5 mm connector is around since the 1960s and is a universal part of nearly every device that works on audio.

The 3.5 mm audio jack and plug are simple devices. They have a maximum of four connection points (sometimes also called poles), each reserved for a specific purpose. These are L+, R+, GND, and M+. The L+ and R+ carry audio signals for the left and right channels, while the M+ carries the signal from the mike in a direction that is opposite to what L+ and R+ use.

This simple device has no feedback mechanism. For example, if you connect a headphone with a mike to a 3 pole connector, your voice will just not be carried forward. Similarly, there is no communication between the host and the receiver on the kind of connection that is made.

The L+ and R+ connections also carry the current that is needed to power the drivers when you are using headphones. Some people claim this is a cause for noise and jitter.

Now, The USB
The Universal Serial Bus, or USB, has gone through multiple iterations and standards. Not long ago, computing devices had a confusing myriad of connections – one for display, one for the printer, one for hard disk, and so on. USB is an attempt to unify all these to a single connection type. The latest and the most prevalent is the USB Type C popularly called USB-C. We will focus our discussions on this.

Compared to the audio jack, USB-C is a very advanced and sophisticated connection. It is capable of carrying data at high speeds and has mechanisms for communication between the host and the device – the two ends of the USB-C cable. Its design was finalized in 2014. It quickly adopted the USB 3.1 specification in 2016 and progressed to 3.2 in September 2017. It introduced the SuperSpeed+ transfer modes using two lanes with data transfer speeds of 10 and 20 Gbits/s. It is the first and only connector that incorporates all the features of the USB 4 standard released in 2019 that takes data speeds to 40 Gbits/s. The USB-C has four distinct capabilities:
  1. Connector reversibility. Irrespective of how you insert the male plug, all features of USB-C will work.
  2. Alternate Mode. The USB-C, from its beginning, has been designed to be programmable to be used for non-USB functions such as video transmission.
  3. Two-way power charging. USB-C can transfer power from the source to the device irrespective of where they are in the chain. For example, when a smartphone is connected to a laptop, the laptop charges the smartphone. When you connect a power source, the same cable and receptacle on the laptop are used to power the laptop.
  4. Audio Conversion. Using a DAC, the USB-C connector can be used to transmit analogue signals. This article is about this particular feature, and I will talk about this in length later.
The USB-C shape and construction
The USB-C receptacle and plug (female and male) are oval-shaped. The USB-C port measures 8.4 mm wide, 2.6 mm high, and 6.65 mm deep. It has 24 pins labelled A1-A12, and B12-B1 laid out in such a way (along with redundancy) that the male connector is flippable. All USB-C cables must be manufactured to carry a minimum of 3A current (at 20V,60W). Some cables can also carry a 5A current (at 20V, 100W). These cables must have a special e-marker inside that tells the devices how much power to transfer. In May of this year, the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has released new specs that enables the USB-C to carry 240W (50V, 5A). Again, cables must have e-markers that identifies them as Extended Power Range cables. The e-markers are critical as the devices could burn the cables otherwise.

So next time you buy a USB-C cable, you have to
  1. be clear of your requirements.
  2. understand the capabilities of your devices in terms of power and data transfer.
  3. buy a cable that is marked clearly of its own capabilities.
Buying a cable from a known brand also makes sense. Unknown brands could put an e-marker inside but compromise on the quality of the cable. You may end up burning the cable and destroying your devices. By default, USB-C will transfer data at 480mbps. With the right combination of devices and cable, you can achieve up to 20 Gbits/s.

Some Laptops released this year use the USB-C port to power and charge the laptops. USB-C has the capability of completely replacing a large number of other connectors including USB-A, USB-B, HDMI, Display Port, and the 3.5 mm audio jacks.

The USB-C Pins
1639301780757.png
(The USB-C Receptacle - Image courtesy of Microchip)

1639301795276.png
(The USB-C - Image courtesy of TI)

The pins are configured as follows:
  1. 4 ground pins (GND)
  2. Four shielded differential pairs (or 8 pins) for Enhanced SuperSpeed (TX1, TX2, RX1, RX2)
  3. 4 power pins (VBUS)
  4. 2 configuration channel pins (CC1, CC2, (VCON))
  5. 2 sideband use pins (SBUs)
  6. 2 differential pairs (or 4 pins) for high-speed data (D+, D-). These provide backward compatibility to the first generation of USB-C.
The Power and Ground Pins
The VBUS and GND pins are used to transfer power from source to receiver. The default voltage is 5V, but VBUS allows you to negotiate up to 20V of voltage. With a maximum current of 5A, the USB-C can deliver up to 100 W of power. As mentioned before, new specs enable these pins to carry 240W (50V, 5A)

RX and TX Pins
These are the transmitter and receiver pins that move data at very high speeds. These can be used to follow the USB 3.0/3.1 protocols that allow speeds up to 20 Gb/s. Just bear in mind that the minimum feature set of USB-C does not support 3.0/3.1 protocols. In these cases, these pins can be programmed to be used for other functions. The default data transfer speed is 480mbps which use the D+and D- pins.

The CC and CC1 Pins
These are called configuration channel pins that perform several tasks including plug/cable detection, device detection, plug orientation, and current status. A small chip inside the cable tells the CC pins their capabilities. This is used by the device to understand how to communicate with the device on the other end in terms of data transmission, power delivery, and alternate mode.

The VCONN Pin
The VCONN pin delivers 5V 1W power. This is used by the cable to power its e-markers to communicate with the CC and CC1 pins. Once this is done, the receptacle and plug are in sync in terms of what power and data the cable can carry. This is used by PD Chargers to deliver higher charging power to devices such as smartphones and laptops. It must be noted that the CC1 and CC2 pins assume the role of both CC and VCONN. This is needed to allow the USB-C plug to be inserted either way.

The Sideband Pins
The SBU1 and SBU2 are used to correspond to low-speed signal paths that are used only in alternate mode.

USB 2.0 Differential Pins
The D+ and D- is a differential pair placed to provide backward compatibility to USB 2.0. In addition, these pins are connected to provide a flippable connector.

Alternate Mode
image_2021-12-12_150511.png
(The USB-C Alternate Mode - Image courtesy of Microchip)

In Alternate mode, USB-C is slowly becoming the connector of choice to connect video sources (players, PCs, etc) to display devices including projectors.

In an Alternate Mode, the pins highlighted above are used. In this mode, the source and device can negotiate with each other to use these pins for the transfer of video as well as higher throughput in data and power. This way, the USB-C can work in place of DisplayPort, HDMI, and MHL. Apple’s Thunderbolt is an example of a USB-C that delivers the best of its features – 40Gbps data transfer, 2x4K video, up to 100W power and several other protocols.

Differential Signalling
In general, information is transmitted electrically using single-ended signals. Only one conductor carries the signal. The receiving circuit compares this to a fixed reference voltage to understand the information. In contrast, differential signalling uses two complementary signal paths (using conductors) to transmit the information. The two conductors carry equal voltage but of opposite polarity. The receiving circuit calculates the difference between the two signals to understand the information being sent. The conducting pair could be a twisted pair, a ribbon cable, or paths in a circuit board. The advantages include reduced crosstalk, double the output, longer cable runs, cancellation of noise, etc.

Differential signalling works in the analogue domain such as balanced audio, and, digital signalling as in RS-422, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.

Now, USB-C and Audio
USB-C is capable of transporting both analogue and digital audio. For analogue audio, an internal DAC is needed in the source device. If you are using a smartphone or a laptop, or any device that has a 3.5mm audio jack, internal DACs exist.

For audio analogue signals, the USB-C pins are used as follows.

Pin NameUser NameAnalogue Audio FunctionLocation on 3.5 mm jackMin/Max VoltageNotes
A6/B6D+Right ChannelRing 1-3.0 to +3.0Analog audio right channel A6 and B6 are shorted together.
A7/B7D-Left ChannelTip-3.0 to +3.0Analog audio left channel A7 and B7 are shorted together.
A8/B8SBU1
SBU2
Mic or AGNDRing 2 or Sleeve-0.4 to +3.3Audio ground or microphone. Needs a detection switch in the system to route the signals properly.
A5/B5CCConnected to ground through 1k resistors for adapter presence logic.
A2/A3 A10/All B2/B3 B10/B11TX+/TX-
RX+/RX-
Not used.
A4/ A9 B4/B9VBUSNot used unless the adaptor also offers power for charging.

What is needed to make this work is a USB-C to 3.5 mm adaptor. This should have an e-marker inside that tells the source device that a 3.5 mm audio device is connected.

Internal DACs
Unless you are buying a very specific smartphone or laptop (such as LG G7 ThinQ, Asus ROG Zephyrus, HP Spectre x360), internal DACs are limited in capabilities. In most cases, they are limited to 16 bits and 44.1 kHz and is meant more for voice calls, conference calls, etc. Expecting these to play music at audiophile quality will be in vain. In addition, internal clocks will have lower quality and accuracy leading to possible jitter.

Though the connection is moving from 3.5 mm to USB-C, listening to music using an internal DAC will not be very satisfying.

USB-C and Digital Audio
At the same time, the USB-C is capable of transmitting pristine digital audio files. Modern specs for 3.0 and above support up to 32-bit/384kHz. In addition, these specs offer Multi-Function Processing Units including sample rate converters, clock entities, digital effects like compression and reverb, channel mixers, acoustic echo cancellation, and active noise cancellation. Most important, since the data is being transported in digital form, an external DAC can use a better clock to eliminate jitter.

Audio data can be transferred using two methodologies. In Asynchronous transfer, the audio device’s oscillator synchronizes the USB clock and links it to the speed of the DAC. This way, the risk of jitter is minimized. The issue with using a clock inside a smartphone is that this device has many high-frequency clocks and power signals – not the ideal place to execute a DAC function for audio.

In Isochronous transfer, the audio data is sent as packets and is assembled into a continuous stream externally by a DAC. If an error is detected, the external DAC can instruct the device for a re-send. In addition, the external DAC can use a clock that is impervious to the host device’s clock shenanigans.

USB Audio Classes
USB Audio Classes (ADC) were first defined in 1998. From version 1.0 then, they have progressed to 3.0 now. The most basic function is for an external device to identify itself as an audio device to the host. Though D+ and D- are the pins over which this information along with audio data is transmitted, there are differences in implementation and what exact information is transmitted is still vague. For example, though I connect an audio device to my One Plus 3, just nothing happens. I then have to go to the phone settings and enable USB On The Go (OTG). This enables the phone to recognize the external device as one that can accept digital data such as hard disks. OTG does not specifically identify an audio device, just one that can accept digital data. What happens next depends on what you do – transmit data or play a song. When you play a song, the phone routes it through the USB-C and leaves it to the external device to do what it wants with the data.

Devices being released in 2021 have slowly started implementing ADC 3.0 when the full functionality of the specification will be available.

ADC breaks down into three parts – Audio Control for functions such as volume and EQ, MIDI Streaming for MIDI data, and Audio Streaming for PCM audio. Most Android running Lollipop or later support some subset of 1.0 at the minimum. Some new phones being released this year support 2.0 and even 3.0.

The basic difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is speed. ADC 1.0 caps data speeds at 8.2Mbps. ADC 2.0 uses up to 196.6Mbps. These are enough for high-quality stereo music. ADC 2.0 can also support multiple channels. USB ADC 1.0 supports 32-bit/96kHz or 16-bit/192kHz. Android caps this at 24-bit/48kHz. Version 2.0 takes this to 32-bit/384kHz, although this consumes more power at both ends. Version 3.0 keeps the same speed and specs as Version 2.0. It reduces the need for excessive power. But more importantly, it offers robust procedures to reduce or eliminate packet errors. This makes the audio data less susceptible to jitter and skipping.

Unfortunately, neither Android nor the manufacturers have implemented anything new, so we are still stuck with 16-bit/48kHz. Their focus has been on enhancing the charging mechanism so that smartphones and laptops get charged faster.

How To Use USB-C Audio
There are multiple ways to use USB-C for audio.
  1. Have an earphone or headphone that has a USB-C connector. This assumes two things. One is that the source device has an internal DAC and that it can transmit analogue signals via USB-C.
  2. If the source can also transmit digital audio files, get an earphone or headphone with built-in DAC and amp. In this case, the earphone or headphones will have all the paraphernalia including an onboard battery, DAC, and, in some cases an amp. Such earphones and headphones are made by companies such as Belkin, Sennheiser, One Plus, Master & Dynamic and others.
  3. Use a standard wired earphone or headphone with a USC-C to 3.5mm dongle. Again, these are of two types. One is where the dongle is simply a connection type convertor. This assumes that the device does send an analogue signal through USB-C and can recognize that a passive audio device has been connected. In the second category, you will have an active dongle that will have the necessary e-marker, DAC, and sometimes an amp also. Because of the chaotic implementation of standards by the manufacturers, there is no guarantee that a smartphone or some other device does transmit analogue audio signals even if it has a DAC inside. With Android 4 and above and with Windows 10, the chances of USB OTG is quite high. Some apps are available that verify the availability of OTG on your smartphone.
  4. Use Bluetooth to transmit the audio to an external device such as earphones, headphones, DAC, amplifier etc. Since Bluetooth uses compression, the best you can get is a lossy signal. New transmission protocols such as AptX, LDAC, etc., promise nearly lossless compression. But again, these are not universally implemented.
Available Accessories
There are two broad categories of accessories that are available to use on devices that do not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. One is, as mentioned before, an analogue or digital dongle. Two is, of course, Bluetooth.

Analogue or Passive Dongle
These are available in the market for less than Rs.300. In addition to the innumerable Chinese brands, there are also better-known brands such as Anker, Ugreen and others who make this. I had the Ugreen passive model that did not work with either the tablet or Dell XPS13. The fault was with the devices and not the dongle.

Active Dongle
Now, this is a field that is as interesting as desktop DACs. There are hundreds of manufacturers and all the ones who make good desktop DACs are either offering one or have plans to do so. At the same time, some early entrants have taken a good position in the market. On one side they all have either a USB-C male plug or a receptacle for USB-C. On the other side, most of them have a 3.5mm audio jack. Some of them also have a 2.5 mm balanced jack, or even a 6.35 mm jack.

The current king of the pack seems to be DACport HD from a company called Centrance. Available for US$180, this has been praised by ASR and Stereophile. Other good dongles are available from companies such as Ovidius, Questyle, Venture Electronics, Hidizs, Astell& Kern, TempTech, Shanling, Audio Quest, etc.

Two reasonable priced dongles that have good reviews and are easily available in India are Avani and Abigail. This is offered by a brand called ‘NotByVE’. Some crazy guy went to the factory that makes dongles for Venture Electronics and looked at their other dongles. He tested a lot and arrived at these two as the best low priced dongles.

Bluetooth
This is my preferred method, though the sound quality may not be that good. As I mentioned before, my need is restricted to watching a movie, a TV show or some you tube video for a short time before going to sleep. I don’t want to be physically connected to my Dell XPS13.

Bluetooth devices with excellent DAC and amps have been around for some. Companies such as FiiO, Ifi, Earmen and others have gained quite a standing in this. Unfortunately, most of these are over-specified, expensive, and bulky for my requirement. I was looking for a very small BT receiver that has a reasonable DAC and, if possible, an amplifier also.

My first choice was the FiiO µBTR. This does not seem to be available even from the FiiO’s website. I also looked at the BTR3K from FiiO. It was too expensive for my needs and too bulky.

I finally narrowed down my choice to TaoTronics TT-BA07. I have ordered this after reading about it on the Net. It does seem to get good to very good reviews. I should have this in my hand on 31st December, and I will then know how good or bad it is.

Bottom Line
If you are after audiophile recording and music, nothing beats a wave or FLAC file played by a good player and routed through a decent DAC and amplifier. This is still the first and only option for most of us music lovers.

If you are interested in listening to music via streaming, the world is completely new and standards and protocols are still being set. Whether you take streaming or Bluetooth, there will be some loss in the sound because of the compression techniques used.

At the same time, nothing stops you from using a streaming service (or Bluetooth) for everyday music listening, and then settling down for a couple of hours in front of your music system and hearing your favourite tracks with all the bells and whistles we expect. That is what I do.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1639301876368.png
    1639301876368.png
    344 KB · Views: 5
Good thread. I do see USB C as a connector as a great addition both my Mac and Windows now has a USB C output and can be used for data, display and power .. but at the same time there this connector can use 2 protocols for transmission ie the 1. USB ie native USB at higher speeds and 2, Thunderbolt 3 which developed by Intel and Apple and is far more versatile

the comparison between the two here

USB 4.0 has all the specs that is being offered by Thunderbolt and more. Also, in the recent past, Intel has handed over the specs of Thunderbolt (3) to the USB-IF. In other words, Thunderbolt will become a sub-set of USB 4. All devices with USB-C that support UBS 4 will be compatible with Thunderbolt devices including data speeds, display, and power. And, vice versa. Hopefully by the end of 2022, all this confusion will disappear, and we will have universal connectivity.

Right now, USB 4 and Thunderbolt are available on motherboards that support the Intel platform. Once they become available on AMD platforms, it will be become truly universal in the PC market. Major mobile manufacturer and Qualcomm are already working on releasing USB 4 in the mobile market also.

Recently, Intel (and Apple) released Thunderbolt 4. The major difference is the support of 2x4K or 1x8K video. This will also be incorporated into USB.

Intel really cannot go against the industry if they want to survive. They are nowhere in the mobile market and are slowly losing ground to AMD in the PC market. Though they took a lead in connectors working with Apple, their action of releasing Thunderbolt 3 to USB speaks volumes of their intentions.

What Apple does and what it's intentions are are a different matter. They will want to protect their market and clients by being unique. They now have their own processors. What they do with USB or any other connection methodology remains to be seen. If they support USB-C, it will be great. But I doubt they will do that.

Cheers

Apple does support USB-C .
The new M1 PBs do have Thunderbolt 4 ports which defaults to USB3 and is compatible with USB4. I was able to test it out for USB3 anyway since I do not have any T4 devices.

I thought thunderbolt is still an Intel IP and apple helped them out only to make sure their own ecosystem speed expectations are met

Where can I see what more USB4 offers over thunderbolt 3/4 ? from what I see tts the other way around. USB4 is still slower than T3 although at those speeds most of our current needs are anyway met hence may be more relevant in the future,

thunderbolt-4-comparison-01.jpg

The post is a bit too technical for me to understand but since I am a user of USB I though I will post.

Wife's Samsung phone does not have a headphone out. Only USB. so I got a converter from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07PQP7719/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Now since I was using a USB DAC, I though that this should sound better but then I wondered how as it definitely does not have an inbuilt DAC in it. Did not test it extensively, so don't know if this kind of connection offers better sound. On a cursory hearing, it sounded fine on my cheap earphones.

As far as power from USB is concerned, I have faced quite a bit of problems with my Oculus Rift S which is powered by a USB from the computer. Getting an external USB extender with its own power supply helped to a certain extent but problem of disconnection still exit.

The post is a bit too technical for me to understand but since I am a user of USB I though I will post.

Wife's Samsung phone does not have a headphone out. Only USB. so I got a converter from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07PQP7719/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Now since I was using a USB DAC, I though that this should sound better but then I wondered how as it definitely does not have an inbuilt DAC in it. Did not test it extensively, so don't know if this kind of connection offers better sound. On a cursory hearing, it sounded fine on my cheap earphones.

As far as power from USB is concerned, I have faced quite a bit of problems with my Oculus Rift S which is powered by a USB from the computer. Getting an external USB extender with its own power supply helped to a certain extent but problem of disconnection still exit.
i believe a convertor like that is just taking the output of phones DAC from the USBC into a phone jack

I stand corrected.. it has one."
  • 【High Fidelity Audio】HI-res Rate: 96 kHz / 24-bit. Built-in high quality Realtek DAC Chip ensure stable and no loss transmission of audio signal, with the audio adapter, you can enjoy the best listening experience."

Last edited:

then I wondered how as it definitely does not have an inbuilt DAC in it.
What does not have a DAC? The dongle? It does have a 24/96 DAC and the specs says it accepts only digital signals.

Actually, if the speakers happen to present an EVEN load (ie. as purely resistive as possible, with minimal capacitance and inductance) and if the OPTs are expertly configured (which is very difficult and expensive) tube amplifiers can deliver music which can be breathtaking. A poorly designed tube amp can be as bad as a poorly designed solid state amplifier.

Incidentally, high sensitivity is a very misleading term....a high sensitivity speaker could present a very complex impedance while a low impedance loudspeaker might be a very benign load. So, as far as tube amps go, "sensitivity" cannot be used as a determining factor for selection of a loudspeaker.

By the way, ProAc speakers are said to be tuned using.... vacuum tube amplifiers... and ProAc are no light weights when it comes to speaker design....

The post is a bit too technical for me to understand.....
I have spent nearly a week removing the complicated technical parts from my draft, and making it simple to understand. Just re-read the article, and you will understand it better.

Cheers

USB-C and Audio
Some time ago, Charu (my wife) got a high-end tablet from Samsung. Around the same time, I laid my hands on a brand new Dell XPS13 laptop.

The interesting thing about the Samsung tablet is that it does NOT have a 3.5 mm audio jack. It claims to send all audio through its USB-C port. We got our hands on a USB-C to 3.5 mm audio adaptor. This is essentially a small cable that has a USB-C male on one end and a 3.5 mm female jack on the other. This, I realised later, is popularly called USB-C Dongle. Anyhow, the first dongle we got did not work. So we returned it to the vendor and got a ‘higher version’ of the same brand. That worked. This got my grey cells working overtime to help me understand what was happening here.

First , The Audio Ports
Jacks that transmit audio data from a host to a receiver have been around for a long time. On earphones or headphones, the original 6.5 mm connector has been around since 1868 and is still used in many devices. The ubiquitous 3.5 mm connector is around since the 1960s and is a universal part of nearly every device that works on audio.

The 3.5 mm audio jack and plug are simple devices. They have a maximum of four connection points (sometimes also called poles), each reserved for a specific purpose. These are L+, R+, GND, and M+. The L+ and R+ carry audio signals for the left and right channels, while the M+ carries the signal from the mike in a direction that is opposite to what L+ and R+ use.

This simple device has no feedback mechanism. For example, if you connect a headphone with a mike to a 3 pole connector, your voice will just not be carried forward. Similarly, there is no communication between the host and the receiver on the kind of connection that is made.

The L+ and R+ connections also carry the current that is needed to power the drivers when you are using headphones. Some people claim this is a cause for noise and jitter.

Now, The USB
The Universal Serial Bus, or USB, has gone through multiple iterations and standards. Not long ago, computing devices had a confusing myriad of connections – one for display, one for the printer, one for hard disk, and so on. USB is an attempt to unify all these to a single connection type. The latest and the most prevalent is the USB Type C popularly called USB-C. We will focus our discussions on this.

Compared to the audio jack, USB-C is a very advanced and sophisticated connection. It is capable of carrying data at high speeds and has mechanisms for communication between the host and the device – the two ends of the USB-C cable. Its design was finalized in 2014. It quickly adopted the USB 3.1 specification in 2016 and progressed to 3.2 in September 2017. It introduced the SuperSpeed+ transfer modes using two lanes with data transfer speeds of 10 and 20 Gbits/s. It is the first and only connector that incorporates all the features of the USB 4 standard released in 2019 that takes data speeds to 40 Gbits/s. The USB-C has four distinct capabilities:
  1. Connector reversibility. Irrespective of how you insert the male plug, all features of USB-C will work.
  2. Alternate Mode. The USB-C, from its beginning, has been designed to be programmable to be used for non-USB functions such as video transmission.
  3. Two-way power charging. USB-C can transfer power from the source to the device irrespective of where they are in the chain. For example, when a smartphone is connected to a laptop, the laptop charges the smartphone. When you connect a power source, the same cable and receptacle on the laptop are used to power the laptop.
  4. Audio Conversion. Using a DAC, the USB-C connector can be used to transmit analogue signals. This article is about this particular feature, and I will talk about this in length later.
The USB-C shape and construction
The USB-C receptacle and plug (female and male) are oval-shaped. The USB-C port measures 8.4 mm wide, 2.6 mm high, and 6.65 mm deep. It has 24 pins labelled A1-A12, and B12-B1 laid out in such a way (along with redundancy) that the male connector is flippable. All USB-C cables must be manufactured to carry a minimum of 3A current (at 20V,60W). Some cables can also carry a 5A current (at 20V, 100W). These cables must have a special e-marker inside that tells the devices how much power to transfer. In May of this year, the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has released new specs that enables the USB-C to carry 240W (50V, 5A). Again, cables must have e-markers that identifies them as Extended Power Range cables. The e-markers are critical as the devices could burn the cables otherwise.

So next time you buy a USB-C cable, you have to
  1. be clear of your requirements.
  2. understand the capabilities of your devices in terms of power and data transfer.
  3. buy a cable that is marked clearly of its own capabilities.
Buying a cable from a known brand also makes sense. Unknown brands could put an e-marker inside but compromise on the quality of the cable. You may end up burning the cable and destroying your devices. By default, USB-C will transfer data at 480mbps. With the right combination of devices and cable, you can achieve up to 20 Gbits/s.

Some Laptops released this year use the USB-C port to power and charge the laptops. USB-C has the capability of completely replacing a large number of other connectors including USB-A, USB-B, HDMI, Display Port, and the 3.5 mm audio jacks.

The USB-C Pins
View attachment 65182
(The USB-C Receptacle - Image courtesy of Microchip)

View attachment 65183
(The USB-C - Image courtesy of TI)

The pins are configured as follows:
  1. 4 ground pins (GND)
  2. Four shielded differential pairs (or 8 pins) for Enhanced SuperSpeed (TX1, TX2, RX1, RX2)
  3. 4 power pins (VBUS)
  4. 2 configuration channel pins (CC1, CC2, (VCON))
  5. 2 sideband use pins (SBUs)
  6. 2 differential pairs (or 4 pins) for high-speed data (D+, D-). These provide backward compatibility to the first generation of USB-C.
The Power and Ground Pins
The VBUS and GND pins are used to transfer power from source to receiver. The default voltage is 5V, but VBUS allows you to negotiate up to 20V of voltage. With a maximum current of 5A, the USB-C can deliver up to 100 W of power. As mentioned before, new specs enable these pins to carry 240W (50V, 5A)

RX and TX Pins
These are the transmitter and receiver pins that move data at very high speeds. These can be used to follow the USB 3.0/3.1 protocols that allow speeds up to 20 Gb/s. Just bear in mind that the minimum feature set of USB-C does not support 3.0/3.1 protocols. In these cases, these pins can be programmed to be used for other functions. The default data transfer speed is 480mbps which use the D+and D- pins.

The CC and CC1 Pins
These are called configuration channel pins that perform several tasks including plug/cable detection, device detection, plug orientation, and current status. A small chip inside the cable tells the CC pins their capabilities. This is used by the device to understand how to communicate with the device on the other end in terms of data transmission, power delivery, and alternate mode.

The VCONN Pin
The VCONN pin delivers 5V 1W power. This is used by the cable to power its e-markers to communicate with the CC and CC1 pins. Once this is done, the receptacle and plug are in sync in terms of what power and data the cable can carry. This is used by PD Chargers to deliver higher charging power to devices such as smartphones and laptops. It must be noted that the CC1 and CC2 pins assume the role of both CC and VCONN. This is needed to allow the USB-C plug to be inserted either way.

The Sideband Pins
The SBU1 and SBU2 are used to correspond to low-speed signal paths that are used only in alternate mode.

USB 2.0 Differential Pins
The D+ and D- is a differential pair placed to provide backward compatibility to USB 2.0. In addition, these pins are connected to provide a flippable connector.

Alternate Mode
View attachment 65181
(The USB-C Alternate Mode - Image courtesy of Microchip)

In Alternate mode, USB-C is slowly becoming the connector of choice to connect video sources (players, PCs, etc) to display devices including projectors.

In an Alternate Mode, the pins highlighted above are used. In this mode, the source and device can negotiate with each other to use these pins for the transfer of video as well as higher throughput in data and power. This way, the USB-C can work in place of DisplayPort, HDMI, and MHL. Apple’s Thunderbolt is an example of a USB-C that delivers the best of its features – 40Gbps data transfer, 2x4K video, up to 100W power and several other protocols.

Differential Signalling
In general, information is transmitted electrically using single-ended signals. Only one conductor carries the signal. The receiving circuit compares this to a fixed reference voltage to understand the information. In contrast, differential signalling uses two complementary signal paths (using conductors) to transmit the information. The two conductors carry equal voltage but of opposite polarity. The receiving circuit calculates the difference between the two signals to understand the information being sent. The conducting pair could be a twisted pair, a ribbon cable, or paths in a circuit board. The advantages include reduced crosstalk, double the output, longer cable runs, cancellation of noise, etc.

Differential signalling works in the analogue domain such as balanced audio, and, digital signalling as in RS-422, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.

Now, USB-C and Audio
USB-C is capable of transporting both analogue and digital audio. For analogue audio, an internal DAC is needed in the source device. If you are using a smartphone or a laptop, or any device that has a 3.5mm audio jack, internal DACs exist.

For audio analogue signals, the USB-C pins are used as follows.

Pin NameUser NameAnalogue Audio FunctionLocation on 3.5 mm jackMin/Max VoltageNotes
A6/B6D+Right ChannelRing 1-3.0 to +3.0Analog audio right channel A6 and B6 are shorted together.
A7/B7D-Left ChannelTip-3.0 to +3.0Analog audio left channel A7 and B7 are shorted together.
A8/B8SBU1
SBU2
Mic or AGNDRing 2 or Sleeve-0.4 to +3.3Audio ground or microphone. Needs a detection switch in the system to route the signals properly.
A5/B5CCConnected to ground through 1k resistors for adapter presence logic.
A2/A3 A10/All B2/B3 B10/B11TX+/TX-
RX+/RX-
Not used.
A4/ A9 B4/B9VBUSNot used unless the adaptor also offers power for charging.

What is needed to make this work is a USB-C to 3.5 mm adaptor. This should have an e-marker inside that tells the source device that a 3.5 mm audio device is connected.

Internal DACs
Unless you are buying a very specific smartphone or laptop (such as LG G7 ThinQ, Asus ROG Zephyrus, HP Spectre x360), internal DACs are limited in capabilities. In most cases, they are limited to 16 bits and 44.1 kHz and is meant more for voice calls, conference calls, etc. Expecting these to play music at audiophile quality will be in vain. In addition, internal clocks will have lower quality and accuracy leading to possible jitter.

Though the connection is moving from 3.5 mm to USB-C, listening to music using an internal DAC will not be very satisfying.

USB-C and Digital Audio
At the same time, the USB-C is capable of transmitting pristine digital audio files. Modern specs for 3.0 and above support up to 32-bit/384kHz. In addition, these specs offer Multi-Function Processing Units including sample rate converters, clock entities, digital effects like compression and reverb, channel mixers, acoustic echo cancellation, and active noise cancellation. Most important, since the data is being transported in digital form, an external DAC can use a better clock to eliminate jitter.

Audio data can be transferred using two methodologies. In Asynchronous transfer, the audio device’s oscillator synchronizes the USB clock and links it to the speed of the DAC. This way, the risk of jitter is minimized. The issue with using a clock inside a smartphone is that this device has many high-frequency clocks and power signals – not the ideal place to execute a DAC function for audio.

In Isochronous transfer, the audio data is sent as packets and is assembled into a continuous stream externally by a DAC. If an error is detected, the external DAC can instruct the device for a re-send. In addition, the external DAC can use a clock that is impervious to the host device’s clock shenanigans.

USB Audio Classes
USB Audio Classes (ADC) were first defined in 1998. From version 1.0 then, they have progressed to 3.0 now. The most basic function is for an external device to identify itself as an audio device to the host. Though D+ and D- are the pins over which this information along with audio data is transmitted, there are differences in implementation and what exact information is transmitted is still vague. For example, though I connect an audio device to my One Plus 3, just nothing happens. I then have to go to the phone settings and enable USB On The Go (OTG). This enables the phone to recognize the external device as one that can accept digital data such as hard disks. OTG does not specifically identify an audio device, just one that can accept digital data. What happens next depends on what you do – transmit data or play a song. When you play a song, the phone routes it through the USB-C and leaves it to the external device to do what it wants with the data.

Devices being released in 2021 have slowly started implementing ADC 3.0 when the full functionality of the specification will be available.

ADC breaks down into three parts – Audio Control for functions such as volume and EQ, MIDI Streaming for MIDI data, and Audio Streaming for PCM audio. Most Android running Lollipop or later support some subset of 1.0 at the minimum. Some new phones being released this year support 2.0 and even 3.0.

The basic difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is speed. ADC 1.0 caps data speeds at 8.2Mbps. ADC 2.0 uses up to 196.6Mbps. These are enough for high-quality stereo music. ADC 2.0 can also support multiple channels. USB ADC 1.0 supports 32-bit/96kHz or 16-bit/192kHz. Android caps this at 24-bit/48kHz. Version 2.0 takes this to 32-bit/384kHz, although this consumes more power at both ends. Version 3.0 keeps the same speed and specs as Version 2.0. It reduces the need for excessive power. But more importantly, it offers robust procedures to reduce or eliminate packet errors. This makes the audio data less susceptible to jitter and skipping.

Unfortunately, neither Android nor the manufacturers have implemented anything new, so we are still stuck with 16-bit/48kHz. Their focus has been on enhancing the charging mechanism so that smartphones and laptops get charged faster.

How To Use USB-C Audio
There are multiple ways to use USB-C for audio.
  1. Have an earphone or headphone that has a USB-C connector. This assumes two things. One is that the source device has an internal DAC and that it can transmit analogue signals via USB-C.
  2. If the source can also transmit digital audio files, get an earphone or headphone with built-in DAC and amp. In this case, the earphone or headphones will have all the paraphernalia including an onboard battery, DAC, and, in some cases an amp. Such earphones and headphones are made by companies such as Belkin, Sennheiser, One Plus, Master & Dynamic and others.
  3. Use a standard wired earphone or headphone with a USC-C to 3.5mm dongle. Again, these are of two types. One is where the dongle is simply a connection type convertor. This assumes that the device does send an analogue signal through USB-C and can recognize that a passive audio device has been connected. In the second category, you will have an active dongle that will have the necessary e-marker, DAC, and sometimes an amp also. Because of the chaotic implementation of standards by the manufacturers, there is no guarantee that a smartphone or some other device does transmit analogue audio signals even if it has a DAC inside. With Android 4 and above and with Windows 10, the chances of USB OTG is quite high. Some apps are available that verify the availability of OTG on your smartphone.
  4. Use Bluetooth to transmit the audio to an external device such as earphones, headphones, DAC, amplifier etc. Since Bluetooth uses compression, the best you can get is a lossy signal. New transmission protocols such as AptX, LDAC, etc., promise nearly lossless compression. But again, these are not universally implemented.
Available Accessories
There are two broad categories of accessories that are available to use on devices that do not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. One is, as mentioned before, an analogue or digital dongle. Two is, of course, Bluetooth.

Analogue or Passive Dongle
These are available in the market for less than Rs.300. In addition to the innumerable Chinese brands, there are also better-known brands such as Anker, Ugreen and others who make this. I had the Ugreen passive model that did not work with either the tablet or Dell XPS13. The fault was with the devices and not the dongle.

Active Dongle
Now, this is a field that is as interesting as desktop DACs. There are hundreds of manufacturers and all the ones who make good desktop DACs are either offering one or have plans to do so. At the same time, some early entrants have taken a good position in the market. On one side they all have either a USB-C male plug or a receptacle for USB-C. On the other side, most of them have a 3.5mm audio jack. Some of them also have a 2.5 mm balanced jack, or even a 6.35 mm jack.

The current king of the pack seems to be DACport HD from a company called Centrance. Available for US$180, this has been praised by ASR and Stereophile. Other good dongles are available from companies such as Ovidius, Questyle, Venture Electronics, Hidizs, Astell& Kern, TempTech, Shanling, Audio Quest, etc.

Two reasonable priced dongles that have good reviews and are easily available in India are Avani and Abigail. This is offered by a brand called ‘NotByVE’. Some crazy guy went to the factory that makes dongles for Venture Electronics and looked at their other dongles. He tested a lot and arrived at these two as the best low priced dongles.

Bluetooth
This is my preferred method, though the sound quality may not be that good. As I mentioned before, my need is restricted to watching a movie, a TV show or some you tube video for a short time before going to sleep. I don’t want to be physically connected to my Dell XPS13.

Bluetooth devices with excellent DAC and amps have been around for some. Companies such as FiiO, Ifi, Earmen and others have gained quite a standing in this. Unfortunately, most of these are over-specified, expensive, and bulky for my requirement. I was looking for a very small BT receiver that has a reasonable DAC and, if possible, an amplifier also.

My first choice was the FiiO µBTR. This does not seem to be available even from the FiiO’s website. I also looked at the BTR3K from FiiO. It was too expensive for my needs and too bulky.

I finally narrowed down my choice to TaoTronics TT-BA07. I have ordered this after reading about it on the Net. It does seem to get good to very good reviews. I should have this in my hand on 31st December, and I will then know how good or bad it is.

Bottom Line
If you are after audiophile recording and music, nothing beats a wave or FLAC file played by a good player and routed through a decent DAC and amplifier. This is still the first and only option for most of us music lovers.

If you are interested in listening to music via streaming, the world is completely new and standards and protocols are still being set. Whether you take streaming or Bluetooth, there will be some loss in the sound because of the compression techniques used.

At the same time, nothing stops you from using a streaming service (or Bluetooth) for everyday music listening, and then settling down for a couple of hours in front of your music system and hearing your favourite tracks with all the bells and whistles we expect. That is what I do.

Cheers

I recently used the Usb C for audio purposes. I connected My Samsung Note 10 as Roon Endpoint to my USB DAC (Denafrips Terminator) and SQ was much better than my M1 Mini as Endpoint (both Via USB A and C outputs). I wasn't able to get the the Same USB C working with Fiio Q3 for Headphone amplification. I returned Q3. Samsung Phone with in built battery power could be the reason for my observation that USB C for audio on smartphone better than M1 Mini USB outputs.
How does USB 3.0 compare with USB C and Thunderbolt Ports ? Not for Speed but for Audio quality purposes ? and what about Jitter ?

Anyways, Very good Info, TFS! It is not a surprise that Europe Proposes for single port for Smartphones that is USB C , including iPhones.
well, improved wireless option could be still better.

What does not have a DAC? The dongle? It does have a 24/96 DAC and the specs says it accepts only digital signals.
Oh I missed that. Tried it out today on my phone which has both 3.5 mm jack and USB C port. Tidal via USB Audio Player Pro. This should bypass the android 48 Khz limit. To be honest, I could not hear a difference in audio between the USB port and the 3.5 mm but that is me and the quality of the earphones is quite average. USB out to my Zen DAC sounds pretty nice.

I have spent nearly a week removing the complicated technical parts from my draft, and making it simple to understand. Just re-read the article, and you will understand it better.

Cheers
Read it again. Thanks for the post.

i believe a convertor like that is just taking the output of phones DAC from the USBC into a phone jack

I stand corrected.. it has one."
  • 【High Fidelity Audio】HI-res Rate: 96 kHz / 24-bit. Built-in high quality Realtek DAC Chip ensure stable and no loss transmission of audio signal, with the audio adapter, you can enjoy the best listening experience."
Thanks, I missed it too. This was something that I got for my wife and the only requirement was that it works as advertised. Did not go into the details.

How does USB 3.0 compare with USB C and Thunderbolt Ports ? Not for Speed but for Audio quality purposes ? and what about Jitter ?
USB 3.0 offer 5 Gbits/s straight off the bat. That means that it can transfer a full Wave file of roughly 250MB in less than 0.8 seconds. If the DAC on the other end has a buffer, then the audio becomes completely free of any jitter or noise.

Version 3.0 supports 32bit/384khz audio. It offers robust procedures to reduce or eliminate packet errors. This makes the audio data less susceptible to jitter and skipping. Look at the specs of a matching DAC (DACport HD From Centrance)

Max Resolution32-bit (also supports 16-bit and 24-bit)
Max Sample Rate384 kHz, DSD (also supports 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.2 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.4 kHz)
USB InputUSB 2.0, asynchronous, fully compatible with USB 3.1
ClockTwo custom, mil-spec clocks, 10 ppm precision, 1 ps jitter
Frequency Response20Hz…40kHz +/-0.2dB
Dynamic Range112 dB, re +14.5dBu, max gain
THD+N0.002% (FS, 1kHz)
Noise Floor7 µV RMS (A-weight), max gain

These specs are some of the best in the world of audio reproduction.

Cheers

I thought thunderbolt is still an Intel IP and apple helped them out only to make sure their own ecosystem speed expectations are met

Where can I see what more USB4 offers over thunderbolt 3/4 ? from what I see its the other way around. USB4 is still slower than T3
Yes, the Thunderbolt IP is owned by Intel. At the same time, they have released the specs and usage to everyone without any copyright charges. In addition, Intel has started shifting to USB-C, particularly USB3 and USB4.

USB4 and T3 both have 40Gbits/s speed. The issue is with implementation. Intel forces its vendors to support that speed in all devices - motherboard, cable and end devices. USB-C is more voluntary. Manufacturers have not yet adopted the speeds and specification fast enough. Specs wise, there is hardly any difference between the two excepting for two grey areas - support of 4K video and networking. Hopefully that will be resolved in the new specs of USB4. Once that is done, Intel should put its might behind USB, and give up on Thunderbolt.

https://www.dignited.com/53093/usb4-vs-thunderbolt-3/

Apple, on the other hand, may give up on USB completely. Their plans are to abandon any receptacles on their new phones. Charging will be wireless and data transfer will also be Bluetooth or wireless.

Cheers

I wish the DAC manufacturers start using the USB C/USB 3.0/3.1 inputs for their DACs... It seems by using the USB AOC cables, we can completely eliminate all electrical noise and jitter from the USB audio - all by using a simple USB AOC cable...

Yes, the Thunderbolt IP is owned by Intel. At the same time, they have released the specs and usage to everyone without any copyright charges. In addition, Intel has started shifting to USB-C, particularly USB3 and USB4.

USB4 and T3 both have 40Gbits/s speed. The issue is with implementation. Intel forces its vendors to support that speed in all devices - motherboard, cable and end devices. USB-C is more voluntary. Manufacturers have not yet adopted the speeds and specification fast enough. Specs wise, there is hardly any difference between the two excepting for two grey areas - support of 4K video and networking. Hopefully that will be resolved in the new specs of USB4. Once that is done, Intel should put its might behind USB, and give up on Thunderbolt.

https://www.dignited.com/53093/usb4-vs-thunderbolt-3/
Thanks !
Apple, on the other hand, may give up on USB completely. Their plans are to abandon any receptacles on their new phones. Charging will be wireless and data transfer will also be Bluetooth or wireless.

Cheers
While I dont care much for iPhones, but taking USB out of Macs would be a downright bummer for most as external docks/storage etc are still expandability options which most people use in some way or the other. many folks charge their devices also via USB out .

@venkatcr I have marked this to read later. Quite a detailed one indeed :)

My tryst with USB-C audio started with HTC - U11 I bought in 2017. It came with a USB-C in-ear headphone specifically made for it with noise cancellation and could be tuned with the phone menu to your hearing - like a EQ. That was a wonderful phone for that time. Still have that HP rewired to lowly 3.5mm plug for use with my current Nokia 8.3. The drawback was only HTC HP will work with it.

Later on moved to Google Pixel 3a XL and Nokia 8.3 5G and their USB-C port can drive my iFi Nano DSD USB DAC.

Directed by the EU ruling the new iphones may all be USB3/4 my wifes ipad mini charges thru an USB 3 cable now..so there is still hope :)

Just read in the news today. EU has mandated that all devices (phones, headphones and BT devices) have to be designed to be charged by a single charger using USB-C by the autumn of 2024.

"European Union lawmakers have reached an agreement on legislation that will force all future smartphones sold in the EU — including Apple’s iPhone — to be equipped with the universal USB-C port for wired charging by fall 2024. The rule will also apply to other electronic devices including tablets, digital cameras, headphones, handheld video game consoles, and e-readers. Laptops will have to comply with the rule at a later date."

They have also de-bundled chargers from the devices. In other words, when you buy a smartphone, say by end of 2024, it will not be packed with a charger. But then, you buy one good charger, it will work with your smartphone, laptop, camera, etc.

Hopefully, India will follow suit and implement the same legislation.

In a way, I am already achieving this. I have a 65 watt charger that delivers 5V-20V at various amperages and works with my laptop, my phone, and my tablet. Only Apple's iPAD is the odd guy here.

Cheers

Great opening post, thanks!

I just lost my OnePlus Nord CE 2 5G which had a 3.5mm socket. I own an EPOS Adapt 165 wired headset for Zoom/Skype calls etc on laptop and phone and I am now wondering how the mic will work with a new phone which will probably not have the 3.5mm socket as it is an endangered species.

I already own an iFi Audio GO Link and Meizu HiFi Audio USB audio adapters for driving proper HiFi headphones. Will these support mic input? The iFi doesn't seem to but the Meizu seems to say it does on the product page.

I now have my sights set on this Baseus L54 which claims TRS and TRRS support on the product page.

I do own a pair of Sony WH1000-XM3s which of course will work but I find them uncomfortable for very long sessions plus I don't really like the way closed headphones work for calls.

All the better quality adapters talk of DACs but none of ADCs which is specified here. Are most just passing back analog mic signals?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back