Ausio system guide

gmitra

I like indian clasical music as well as old songs. I am from kolkata, west bengal. Please guide me in purchasing a good audio system, my budget is 50000-70000. should I go for complete system of sony,philips etc. or should I go for separate player/amplifier( Denon, Yamaha) and seprate speakers ? In case I go for separate amplifier and speakers , then which make for the amplifier and which make for the speakers and which model?

the highs on indian classical music can be a little thin and this could lead to listening fatigue esp if you have a neutral - bright setup. so essentially you would be looking for something neutral - warm. not sure what your room size is but if it isnt really large imo you should go for a good pair of bookshelves and an amp to match. in that budget i would go for the monitor audio silver series ma rx2 paired with the nad c355. the marantz is another good amp.

...go for the monitor audio silver series ma rx2 paired with the nad c355. the marantz is another good amp.

Are you sure about MA? I always felt MA to be on the brighter side, more suited for Rock.

Agree with Marantz.

gmitra, you could go for a marantz cdp + marantz amp + kef speakers but this might get a bit too laid back for some.

How big would be your listening area?

There are some very good active speakers available here (check out the deals section). You could consider those.

Are you interested in an used amp and speakers (towers, bookshelves) from options to be picked up from Kolkata? Or may be just the amp or just two towers...your choice.

PM me then please.

My room size is 12x18 ft. i want to get the depth of bass as well as clarity of treble.
How if I go for Denon PMA 710A with jamo speakers ? which model of jamo should I go for ? Or can I go for onkyo amplifier with Jamo speakers? if yes then which models ?

For stereo, I'd suggest staying away from Denon, Jamo (unless it's one of their higher end models like 909) and Onkyo (their latest stereo amp has been received well though).

Another thought is you go for AVRs from these brands (movie + music). It's a compromise...

For your room size, you'd be better off with a floorstanders. Among the budget amps, consider NAD, Cambridge Audio, Marantz (I'd suggest this one). Norge is an Indian amp maker that might fit your budget. I'm not sure of how it'd sound with your choice of music though. In any case, with a budget setup, do expect a bit of brightness and ear fatigue on long listening sessions...thats my opinion though.

Are you sure about MA? I always felt MA to be on the brighter side, more suited for Rock.

Agree with Marantz.

the ma rx series is a very neutral sounding speaker. it is also very versatile in the sense that it will lean to warm / neutral / bright depending on which amp you use. though it doesnt sound too good on brighter amps

My room size is 12x18 ft. i want to get the depth of bass as well as clarity of treble.
How if I go for Denon PMA 710A with jamo speakers ? which model of jamo should I go for ? Or can I go for onkyo amplifier with Jamo speakers? if yes then which models ?

you should audition a few set ups before you buy. each set up will have its own sound signature (not about good or bad - just different) and only you will be able to decide which one you prefer. do not blindly jump into buying something without knowing what is on offer

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back