Automatic Tonearm Lifter

sandeepmohan

Gone are the days of quality, fully automatic Japanese turntables. Automatic is a also bad word when it comes to audiophile quality disc spinners. The good turntables sold today are mostly manual. You have to lift your arm or use the cue lever to get music going. You need to do the same thing all over again at the end of a record. Well; what if you had a device that could lift your priceless stylus off the record when it comes to the end of a side? There is a solution now.

I discovered this on Analog Planet.

http://www.littlefwend.com/

Great idea, but very expensive $250.

Well if you're running an Airtight or a Kuzma level cartridge, $250 is peanuts for what its going to save you on stylus life. Its also debatable and you must be pretty retarded to leave your stylus on the record for extended periods.

Superb thread. This has been bothering me for sometime. But given you guys are the experts would there be a massive difference between the products linked here?

Nice product, thanks for sharing. I hate leaving the stylus dragging along at the end of a record. My SMEs have lovely lift mechs but the Garrard TPA10 tonearm which carries a Shure M3D cart does not. I am looking for a vintage one to go with the Garrard tonearm :)

Price can be subjective. But nothing to worry chaps. Lifters are available in all price range. Here is middle price range one. Though Q-up looks like good enough to do the job.

So don't drop your arms
with Kuzmas or Shures

And don't spend in excess
for things like such process

'casue in the end the arm itself
will be lifted by your humble self

And just saw this.. Congratulations to Joshua on being Moderator. :)
Regards.

Hiten's verses are so simple and super. And, regrettably, so rare nowadays.
Sometimes a mere "like" does not do justice. There needs to be a "love" along with "like" a la social media ;)

Congrats Josh

But given you guys are the experts would there be a massive difference between the products linked here?

The difference I observed from videos between the Little Fwend and Q Up, is that the Q Up is a sudden release. You can see the tone arm lift off pretty quick and bounce around a bit. Very smooth on the fwend. I don't see this to be a problem. Its just the difference in how the two mechanisms work.

I do not have an answer for your question.

Personally; I like the idea. In a scenario where I am not sitting in the same room as my stereo and cannot attend to the record player immediately, a solution like this helps.
I actually do use the Q Up and really like it. also great when i go off to sleep on my couch while listening ( yup i do that ) and the Qup makes sure the cart is not running on the record all the time !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back