AV receiver and 5.1 speaker Combo for <80,000

tomahawkx2

Hello everyone,

I have been reading all the threads on the subject but am still confused which av receiver and speaker set up is ideal for my needs. The following are my requirements:

Room Size: 14 Feet * 12 Feet ( LCD viewing distance 8-10 Feet)

Usage:
Music: 30% - Rock (Floyd,dire straits, eric claptop, etc )
Movies DVD: 30 % - English (Action movies, Music Videos)
Tata Sky +: 40% (Sports) - WOuld love 1080p upscaling ability on my AV reciever
Budget: 70-80 K
Location: Hyderabad. (i have the option of buying the av receiver sent from Hong kong as my friend will be coming to India next week)

I am undecided between denon (1610,1910), Onkyo 607, Marantz (4003). And i am totally lost as far as the speakers are concerned.

Please help configure an AV reciever and 5.1 speaker combo ideal for my room and my needs.

Appreciate all your help and support. I am open to sourcing an AV reciever as step one and then pairing them with suitable 5.1 speakers as step two.

Hello everyone,

I have been reading all the threads on the subject but am still confused which av receiver and speaker set up is ideal for my needs. The following are my requirements:

Room Size: 14 Feet * 12 Feet ( LCD viewing distance 8-10 Feet)

Usage:
Music: 30% - Rock (Floyd,dire straits, eric claptop, etc )
Movies DVD: 30 % - English (Action movies, Music Videos)
Tata Sky +: 40% (Sports) - WOuld love 1080p upscaling ability on my AV reciever
Budget: 70-80 K
Location: Hyderabad. (i have the option of buying the av receiver sent from Hong kong as my friend will be coming to India next week)

I am undecided between denon (1610,1910), Onkyo 607, Marantz (4003). And i am totally lost as far as the speakers are concerned.

Please help configure an AV reciever and 5.1 speaker combo ideal for my room and my needs.

Appreciate all your help and support. I am open to sourcing an AV reciever as step one and then pairing them with suitable 5.1 speakers as step two.

As per your needs try auditioning the following combo:
Denon 1610 with Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package, Cost around: 70K
Denon 1910 with the Q-Acoustics 1010i Cost: 82K
Denon 1910 with Wharfedale Diamond 10 Package Cost around 80K
Onkyo 607 and Marantz with any of the above speakers package.

Last edited:
Denon 1910 with Wharfedale Diamond 10 Package Cost around 50K

Thanks Ashish, i read about the 1910 and warfedale combo being a winner. Any particular reason why this is so much cheaper than the rest? Is this an entire 5.1 channel package or only front floor speakers.

Thanks Ashish, i read about the 1910 and warfedale combo being a winner. Any particular reason why this is so much cheaper than the rest? Is this an entire 5.1 channel package or only front floor speakers.

Wharfedale seems to tone down the bit of harshness of the Denon in question and sounds Warm together. Also the package price I have mentioned here are based on the Wharfedale BS based setup in which you will have DM 10.1 as your fronts with the matching center channel and the Dipole/Bipole Surround speakers along with the matching subwoofer from the same package.

Thanks a lot. That narrows it down a bit.

Is there anywhere in hyd that i can audition the combo of denon 1910 with warfedale and q-acoustics 1010i?

I still have a lurking feeling if this might be excessive for my room. The room is a penthouse and floor is carpeted, I donot have too much problem with the neighbours. room size 14 feet * 12 Feet. Please comment.

Denon 1910 will do just fine in your room, go with that or an Yamaha 665 or Onkyo 607. You can go one level down (1610/565) on the AVR front, but it's better to have power in reserve for future use.

Try Vector @ Punjagutta for Wharfedale speakers, he might have other AVRs and speakers also. Hyd is pretty dry city for auditioning stuff though...

Guys, thanks a lot for helping me out with this.

I found one of the guys in the forum mention global e-bay. Yamaha 665

Global Easy Buy

What do you think of this? Has someone bought from global ebay before? Will there be a service and waranty problem? What about the power sockets?

Please do help. if my avr budget goes done by 17K i will probably invest in a ps3 aswell

Guys - Appreciate your advice - Bought the following package for 1 lakh from a Hyderabad Dealer. (the same was available at 95 k with 9.5 floor standees)

Denon 1910 + Diamond 9.6 floor standees + SW150 + 9CS + 9 DFS

The 9.6 floor standees have not been delivered yet and i am using two bookshelf front speakers in the interim. The setup is far from complete so cannot write a review of the sound quality.

It's been a long 3 months of trying to make the right decision, below are a few things to keep in mind for newbies:

1) Budget the cost of cables for fronts, surrounds, subwoofer, HDMI, component and optical cables. Didnt think these would cost me an additional 10 K . (for quality audioquest or monster)

2) Need to invest in a decent stabilizer to protect your investment. (5K to 10K) - Havent done this yet.

3) True to it's reviews - my first impression of Denon 1910 remote is not great at all. Need to invest in a decent universal remote - Logitech maybe for 4-5 k

4) Some dealers ask for installation charges of around 2-3K (I got a waiver on this from my dealer)

The whole thing might end up costing me 1.2 - 1.3 lakhs - this is close to 40K to 50 K over budget. :)

5) Global easybuy is far from mature. I tried to get a Yam 765 from various vendors and it kept getting refunded (3 times). I suggest that you call global easy buy customer service 1800 209 3229 to find out if there is a likelyhood of the purchase getting refunded. (Trust me, they can tell you if you put enough pressure - They can see the transaction not viable due to incorrect entry of freight charges)

I look forward to sharing my experiances with the forum members . You can either PM or contact me at [email protected]

Want to make a special mention of svenkateshsmart and skumar for speaking with me over the phone and helping me make my decisions.

Will follow this up with review of how the whole thing works in my room !!! - Wish me luck!!

Vikas

Last edited:
Guys - Appreciate your advice - Bought the following package for 95K from a Hyderabad Dealer.

Denon 1910 + Diamond 9.6 floor standees + SW150 + 9CS + 9 DFS

The 9.6 floor standees have not been delivered yet and i am using two bookshelf front speakers in the interim. The setup is far from complete so cannot write a review of the sound quality.

It's been a long 3 months of trying to make the right decision, below are a few things to keep in mind for newbies:

1) Budget the cost of cables for fronts, surrounds, subwoofer, HDMI, component and optical cables. Didnt think these would cost me an additional 10 K . (for quality audioquest or monster)

2) Need to invest in a decent stabilizer to protect your investment. (5K to 10K) - Havent done this yet.

3) True to it's reviews - my first impression of Denon 1910 remote is not great at all. Need to invest in a decent universal remote - Logitech maybe for 4-5 k

4) Some dealers ask for installation charges of around 2-3K (I got a waiver on this from my dealer)

The whole thing might end up costing me 1.2 - 1.3 lakhs - this is close to 40K to 50 K over budget. :)

5) Global easybuy is far from mature. I tried to get a Yam 765 from various vendors and it kept getting refunded (3 times). I suggest that you call global easy buy customer service 1800 209 3229 to find out if there is a likelyhood of the purchase getting refunded. (Trust me, they can tell you if you put enough pressure - They can see the transaction not viable due to incorrect entry of freight charges)

I look forward to sharing my experiances with the forum members . You can either PM or contact me at [email protected]

Want to make a special mention of svenkateshsmart and skumar for speaking with me over the phone and helping me make my decisions.

Will follow this up with review of how the whole thing works in my room !!! - Wish me luck!!

Vikas

Congrats on your purchase Vikas!

Do send a pm to Madbullram regarding your need for voltage stabilizer. I will see if I can get some links as well in the meantime.

Last edited:
Congrats my friend for the purchase. :yahoo::clapping:.... enjoy your equipment... and share your experiance

Denon 1910 with Wharfedale Diamond 10 Package Cost around 80K

Denon 1910 with the Q-Acoustics 1010i Cost: 82K?? any idea where it will be available in Mumbai? how's the support of denon/QA? does it include cables & 1 year warranty in 82K?

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry about the delay in posting my review. The are two reasons for that.
1) I was away in Mumbai for a brief period.
2) But once i got back,I was not very satisfied with the sound quality ... and before i posted a negative review, i wanted to ensure i got everything right.

Initially the avr was connected to TATASKY with component video and DAC optical for Audio. Monster HDMI connects the AVR to the LCD.
- Noticed there was increased pixelation on Sony Bravia 32 inch full HD - Later found that the 2 month old bravia was defective and the issue will be resolved with Sony Service
- The detailing that i was hoping to hear was missing - which was attributed to the limitations of sound quality from the source itself.

I bought a Phillips DVD player, Connected it to the AVR through HDMI for video and optical for audio, as was suggested and here was my first satisfying experiance:

- Played 'lord of the rings' DVD - The quality of sound was brilliant. the dolby pro logic splitting and the details was simply great. Subsequently played 'Kill Bill' and 'diehard' and the effects were great too.

- The sound quality from a DVD of dire straits was pretty good too. 9.6 floor standees were sounding great in stereo mode while playing MP3s.

- However - I played 'Eagles' DVD and found the bass riff on the Hotel california sound track distorted.

I believe the problem is the center speaker(warf 9 CS). I wonder if there is any way to isolate the sound first in the 9.6 and than in the 9 CS and tell the difference for sure. Please advice....

Overall - this whole thing is still work in progress. I dont want to discourage anyone from buying warfedales with denon, but my friend's all yamaha 665 setup sounds much better. I am hoping these are teething problems which can be sorted out. Or if the centre sepeaker problem can be established so that i can get an exchange. I will keep you guys posted on the same.

I believe the problem is the center speaker(warf 9 CS). I wonder if there is any way to isolate the sound first in the 9.6 and than in the 9 CS and tell the difference for sure. Please advice.....

You can set the required speakers as "None" in te AVR and test the rest which are set as "Yes".... or simply unplug the fronts and test the center...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back