AV Receiver or Integrated Amp

tonedeaf

Hi Folks,
I have been browsing this site for quite some time , finally decided to speak up.
I am planning to upgrade my listenting habits from a Two-in-one to hi-fi.

The first stumbling block was the question.. should I buy a 5.1 A?V Reciever and build a home theater system or go for a stereo amp + 2 speakers.

My budget is limited to 40 K INR.
My listening habits are simple...still get my kicks from listening to Bela-ke-phool on vividh bharati and have a huge stack of gazals and light Indian classical.

Intended use of the system will be 75 % music and 25% movies.

I've read a few articles on the net that stereo system are good only if you are sitting in the 'sweet spot' . THe 5.1 HT systems elimiate this problem. Besides the day is not far when all music is recorded in 5.1 format.

So, if some of the cognoscenti out here can enlighten me on how to move forward, I'll be grateful.
Also, a list of some of the good dealers in mUmbai who stock multiple brands and have demo rooms to actually listen and shortlist my choice, would be helpful.

Thanks.

You didnt mention what speakers you are using.:rolleyes:

Your listening habits require a warm sounding hifi set up. Try to listen to the latest Marantz combo, CD6002 and PM6002. This shoud impress you. This combo will cross 40k by a small margin. In the mean time, if you cannot extent the budget, you may try the CD5001+ PM4001 combo as well.

There are some decent CA combos available but, in my personal experience, I find them a little disturbing at highs - which could pose an issue if you intend to enjoy your music continiously for a long time.

Dont rush. Take your time. Listen to as many systems as possible and make your selection. End of the day, what you buy shoud sound sweet to you, nothing else matters!

hi,

if majority of your listening is going to be music... i would recommend integrated stereo amp over av receiver... since stereo amp would belt out much better quality sound (music) than an av receiver... reason being in av receiver the sound signal is routed thru digital circuitry to decode it for dividing it amongst 5.1 channel.... during this process there is loss in quality of sound which doesn't happen in stereo amp.

now about the sweetspot...while it is true, but good quality speakers, placed appropriately have a wide range of sweet spot which allows you decent room for movement

and as far as music recording in 5.1 is concerned, i don't know abt it....havent read abt it...pl tell me links so that i also can update myself....but first what we need to see is how soon is that going to happen and after that how soon are our favourite gazal records going to be re-released in 5.1 recording and when will we rebuild the collection to enjoy it in 5.1 in true sense.

i had a similar doubt a couple of months back as you are having right now....and after all my research, stereo amp seemed better option to me. but at the end, you shd settle for whatever sounds good to your ears, irrespective of all research and suggestions.

enjoy.

Thanks for the input folks.
I've decided to go ahead with an Integrated Amp.
My budget of 40K is for the amp and the speaker. I'll buy the CD player later, right now I intend to play it with my SOny DVD player.

I auditioned a Marnatz ampli with Jamo tower speakers and then a Norge ampli with the same speakers.
Frankly I couldn't make out much difference.
I tried out three different CDs but I couldn't really be sure which one was better.

I have lined up a few more auditions... but am sure after listening to 5/6 amplis, I'll not be able to tell which is which. Any suggestions on how to zero in on the 'right one'.

I know this is tough! Training your ears to find the suttle difference is somthing you gain over the years of listening. Having said that, the concept of 'golden ears' is a myth.

In your budget you can look at-

a) Cambride Audio 640A v2.0 + Mordaunt Short Avant 902i

b) Marantz PM7001 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/MS Avant 902i

c) Pioneer A-A6-J + Monitor Audio BR2

These are tried and tested combos. If you ask me, personaly I would go for Marantz/Diamond combo.

Best regards.

Hi I am in the same dilemna.... av receiver which seems more practicle OR pure integrated stero amp - 75% I listen to music - while like to movies as well... but my current speakers are MA BR5 - just 2 floor standers...

In a pure stero amp - can I put the audio output from the DVD into the Amp (as aux input) and video to the TV - that way I will not compromise my Music and get to watch movies and sound thru my floor standers?

Any suggestions -

BTW - just bought an old ONKYO TX 8211 second hand for a steal - goes well with my old sony speakers - waiting to try it with my new BR5s!!

In a pure stero amp - can I put the audio output from the DVD into the Amp (as aux input) and video to the TV - that way I will not compromise my Music and get to watch movies and sound thru my floor standers?
Yes that works quote well.
I have a stereo amp paired with two floor standers and a sub.
Music is great and the compromise on movies is very little.

~dich

Hi Dich,

Thanks for your reply... pardon me but I am an amateur. How do you connect a Sub to the stero Amp? Can the following connections be added to current stero amps:

1. CD Audio (Line input)
2. DVD Audio (Line Input) and Video goes to the TV
3. Worldspace Audio (As Aux In)
4. Gaming console - (Audio to the amp - video to the TV)
5. Sub Woofer

What stero Amp would you recommend under 30K? Previously I was planning to go for a Marantz SR 5001 A/V receiver but I DO NOT want to compromise on the musicality of my system but still keep it practical !! (Wish life was simpler!)

Looking forward to everyone's suggestions...

Thanks

Also can I connect Whats your setup like?

Currently I have ordered Monitor Audio BR'5 floor standers. What

5. Sub Woofer
Pre-Out
Check the manual at Azur 640A (Version 2) Amplifier / Support / Cambridge Audio
It shows one way to connect the speakers and sub.

What stero Amp would you recommend under 30K?
I picked up CA 640A V2. A new one is around 23K
You should also audition the Norge stuff. The sound is equally good (IMHO), but they lack a pre-Out.

Also can I connect Whats your setup like?
Here is my setup: Budget receiver and speakers

~dich

Thanks Vilfy,

Unfortunately I have already bought the MA BR5's. Right now looking for a good stero amp with the flexibility of adding more speakers/sub/worldspace audio/dvd audio, etc, etc!! in the future!!!

But will consider NAD - any idea how much it costs and who's the dealer in INdia?

Hi,
The Nad Distributor Is Lakozy At Chowpatty, Mumbai. Tel 022 23697001. Some Decent Integrated Amps And Pre Powers Available There.
Regards

Hi Folks,
Back after a long hiatus.
Thanks to all of you for your inputs. I finally bought my system
Mourdant SHort 906i (Floor standers) and
Norge Reference 2000 ampli
Input source is my DVD player
I waited this long to close the thread I started becuaseI wanted to comment on the setup after listening to it for a while.

And the verdict is that it works !
The sound is amazing and I have discovered the difference between a performance that has a good recording and one that is so-so.

The speakers are fabulous - no doubt about it. I was a bit apprehensive about the Norge ampli... but it sounds good and I am quite happy with it.
I compared the CA Azur 350 witht he same speakers and I couldn't make out much difference... so I stuck to Norge. Only crib is that it doesn't have a remote... and the looks (as compared to the CA) is a little bit tacky.

Okay that's it from me.
I'll be back when the upgrade bug bites me.

Ciao.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

Good to hear that you are enjoying your set-up. Regarding the speakers, are you sure they are floorstands? I believe the 904i is the first one in the floor-standing model in the Avant series.

All the best.

Oops... I purchased the 906i (floor standers). I had auditioned the 902i but was not impressed at all. The 906i knocked me off my feet. COrrected the original post.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back