AVR+5.1 Decisions, decisions!

I believe it does have a coax digital in. I'm pretty sure I have seen it demoed with a Coax digital input, also the specs say there is 1 coax in. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not according to the Denon Asia site. Any new denon owners can confirm? It seems to have 2 Optical IN and 4 analog RCA IN.

Suppose there is no Coaxial IN and I have to use the analog out of the DVD player how will the sound stream of the DVD processed by the AVR? analog stereo processed to Dolby? should there be any setting on the DVD player or disc menu?

Attachments

• X2000 Back.jpg
    X2000 Back.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Not according to the Denon Asia site. Any new denon owners can confirm? It seems to have 2 Optical IN and 4 analog RCA IN.

Suppose there is no Coaxial IN and I have to use the analog out of the DVD player how will the sound stream of the DVD processed by the AVR? analog stereo processed to Dolby? should there be any setting on the DVD player or disc menu?

If you connect via analog-in (meaning RCA composite audio), you will get stereo sound only, i.e., no Dolby Digital. At most AVR will be able convert to simulated surround via dolby pro-logic.

2 burly men visited my house this afternoon :yahoo:

I am at work till 7pm and I don't know how I can wait another 3-4 days till installation :annoyed:

Attachments

• deliverypolk.jpg
    deliverypolk.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 172
I can't wait till Tuesday!
So I have started unboxing slowly.
I never realised how big the center would be! The center is huge, bigger than the AVR (photo shows scale in front of a 55" TV). So is the subwoofer. I might not have space after all to put everything neatly. We shall see.

Since I dont have the speaker cables, I went ahead with all the other settings. Input assigns, renames etc. I must say it was a breeze. Very intuitive setup process on the X2000. I think only absolute newbies may have trouble with the setup. The only thing I am bummed about is the lack of a digital coax in for my DVD player. The Tata Sjy HD thru HDMI was easy with the HD channels showing the dolby signal.

I have one question the display shows Stereo while on the main menu of the PS3 and Panasonic 220 BD, is that normal?

Also my NTFS external HDD does not seem to work with the USB port on the Denon but works fine with the BD220. It read most file formats except one set of mkv files (it read some of the other mkvs though) I have to find out whats up with that.

The BD220's menu is a bit tedious though, is there anyway around it?

Attachments

• setuppre.jpg
    setuppre.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 149
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 148
Hey Jay, congrats on the new setup
Setup looks awesome

Only Fat32 hdd works with denon
To get DD/DTS sound from PS3, go to audio settings on PS3 and work with different settings. I do not remember exactly which settings to do, will check and let u know

I can't wait till Tuesday!
So I have started unboxing slowly.
I never realised how big the center would be! The center is huge, bigger than the AVR (photo shows scale in front of a 55" TV). So is the subwoofer. I might not have space after all to put everything neatly. We shall see.

Since I dont have the speaker cables, I went ahead with all the other settings. Input assigns, renames etc. I must say it was a breeze. Very intuitive setup process on the X2000. I think only absolute newbies may have trouble with the setup. The only thing I am bummed about is the lack of a digital coax in for my DVD player. The Tata Sjy HD thru HDMI was easy with the HD channels showing the dolby signal.

I have one question the display shows Stereo while on the main menu of the PS3 and Panasonic 220 BD, is that normal?

Also my NTFS external HDD does not seem to work with the USB port on the Denon but works fine with the BD220. It read most file formats except one set of mkv files (it read some of the other mkvs though) I have to find out whats up with that.

The BD220's menu is a bit tedious though, is there anyway around it?

Awesome setup.. Congrats.. :)

Congrats! Was it a real blind buy or profx guys recommended them? Can you please tell how is the bass on your subwoofer?

I have been planning to set up a good 5.1 setup for the better part of 6-8 years now!

Being a salaried guy with a wife and 2 kids, a decent 5.1 setup is very soon pushed down to the bottom of priorities. :indifferent14:

You can never really have a real blind buy with the sheer amount of information that you are bombarded with.

I have been hanging around the net for many years devouring whatever information I could from HFV, AVS, AVForums, Blu-ray.com, even the Amazon.com reviews some which can be pretty informative. Finally you have to cut through all the sales spiel and get the actual info which only actual consumers with some audiophile knowledge can give.

The sales guy's only job is to sell and it is very rare to find a guy who will give you genuine advice. I had a very fixed budget and from an earlier demo I was very apprehensive about going in for Polk Audio and liked the KEF. The guy tried to push me on the KEF once he found it I liked the KEF but if I wanted the KEF I would have had to get smaller speakers, which in hindsight could have been disastrous. With the size of the room, i had to get the larger center, SW and I compromised on the surrounds(A4 instead of the A6) because I felt they are not used as much.

Whatever equipment you buy and install will only sound as good as the room it is installed in. I cannot stress that enough.

Like a good audiophile friend of mine said to me one time: "Finally you are just moving air. You need adequate equipment to move around the amount of air in your room."

Right now the subwoofer is put in the corner as you can see. It is calibrated at -5.5 dB level and the bass is huge. In the initial setup the bass was really huge, all the windows were rattling etc. But now its much cleaner setting in only when really required. It sounds a little muddy (I prefer nice clean bass punch, anybody who has heard the Brand New Heavies, you know what I am talking about) But i think its more of a problem of the sub placement than an actual problem with the sub. I don't have the time nor patience for a sub crawl just yet.

When I was living in a small flat in Coimbatore, I got a Sony HTiB (MRP Rs 19,900) and it sounded awesome and punchy.
When I came back home to Trivandrum, it just couldn't handle the ginormous hall (25'x15') So now the 5.1 is in the hall and the HTiB has been transferred to the bedroom where the kids hang out. 2 advantages: They can watch Chotta Bheem without bugging me and also keep their grubby hands off the AVR etc. (My daughter is extremely curious about Daddy's new toys)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back