AVR + 5.1 i within 25-30k Rs

Naveen_Reloaded

Hi ..

recently i started a thread and got some idea..

now i want to have the best ..

suggest me wht to go for

i want a aVR + 5.1 speakers costing me 25-30k

i have a PS3 ... so i dont want a extra DVD or bluray player.

i had idea on going for onkyo HT-S5105 but replies in this forum are not that good on the product.

please suggest me. this is one time buy for me for the next 5+ years.

how about Philips HTS 3569 ?

Hi ..

recently i started a thread and got some idea..

now i want to have the best ..

suggest me wht to go for

i want a aVR + 5.1 speakers costing me 25-30k

i have a PS3 ... so i dont want a extra DVD or bluray player.

i had idea on going for onkyo HT-S5105 but replies in this forum are not that good on the product.

please suggest me. this is one time buy for me for the next 5+ years.

how about Philips HTS 3569 ?

I think the Onkyo is a decent buy. Why are you of the opinion that it was not received well on this forum? Go and listen to it at an AV store and if you liked the sound go for it.

Repeat: There are only 2 HTIBs from onkyo, 1 from Yamaha and 1 from HK+JBL around your budget. Find the dealers for these brands in your city, audition them and then decide.

Before that, read all the threads in the HTIB section on this forum. I am not sure what more help you are looking for...

Repeat: There are only 2 HTIBs from onkyo, 1 from Yamaha and 1 from HK+JBL around your budget. Find the dealers for these brands in your city, audition them and then decide.

Before that, read all the threads in the HTIB section on this forum. I am not sure what more help you are looking for...

i understand SK , i just wan to know my options within my budget. this way i can compare the options and decide on which one i can go for , for eg , some HTIB some with certain color , like silver , which i dont prefer .. i prefer black .. so if the dealer is giving only silver , i should some other options to go for..

thats why i am asking the models and thier price so that i can compare them ,

please dont take me wrong bro .. jsut want to be sure before i buy..

thanks again SK forreplying . wht are the 2 htib , 1 yamaha and 1HK / JBL models ?

i can find the products but cant find the price , that is wht prevernting me from decidoing on something

Where are u located? Try visiting Croma, Reliance Digital etc. for Onkyo/Yamaha audition and prices. HK+JBL might be available in their brand shops in big malls.

i am from salem / tamil nadu but i frequently visit chennai as most of my relatives are in chennai.

i think i better visit a shop and decide on whts available there and thier price.

i just thouight before going there and getting wht he has , i would better fix few models and even if they arent there , i may order..

guys now i have decided on Onkyo S3200 , whcih costs around 15K Rs i think .. not sure though..

but i think i can expand the budget a little bit

how much is Yamaha YHT491BL and how is it ?

can anyone suggest slightly better one than Onkyo S3200 , also how importnat is HDMI passthrough is ? i mean Onkyo S3200 has only HDMI pass through and no upscalling of other inputs ( STB , CABLE etc ) .... does upscalling really effect the picture quality ? if so can anyone sugggest a good model wihink 25-30K price ?

Hi Naveen,

The Onkyo 3200 retails for around 25k(a little less after discount/bargaining).If you are getting it for 15k it is a steal. But i dont think you got the right price since this is a new model and certainly doesnt come lesser than 22k. Please check the prices again.

Cheers
S

Hi naveen,

If you are looking for only 5.1 movie experience and not looking to hear music on your system, then Onkyo 5105 is your best option for your budget. For movies Onkyo's entry level HTiB's are very decent. I own s3100 and am happy with it for movies. When you come to Chennai visit a e-zone outlet and try to have a demo, and then decide.

cheers,
sri

Hi naveen,

If you are looking for only 5.1 movie experience and not looking to hear music on your system, then Onkyo 5105 is your best option for your budget. For movies Onkyo's entry level HTiB's are very decent. I own s3100 and am happy with it for movies. When you come to Chennai visit a e-zone outlet and try to have a demo, and then decide.

cheers,
sri

thnks srikarkav...

actually heard that 3200 is better than 3100 ... that why i thought of going for it.( correct if i am wrong )

i can strecth the budget to some extent.. so do u know any good model with upscalling and better performance than 3200 ?

wht is the price of Onkyo 5105 ?

thnks srikarkav...

actually heard that 3200 is better than 3100 ... that why i thought of going for it.( correct if i am wrong )

i can strecth the budget to some extent.. so do u know any good model with upscalling and better performance than 3200 ?

5105 will be 27-31K, depends on how hard u bargain and retailers attitude.

thnks srikarkav...

Hi Naveen,
I got my 5105 for 32K in Pune. I think you should audition this unit before taking it out of picture. I compared it with a Denon (can't remember model no.... but similar price range) and the difference in Stereo Music wasn't significant to say if either was better than the other.

I compared 5105 with Norge-1000 stereo amp, and found Norge to be clear winner. Which is generally the case with ANY avr vs dedicated stereo amp comparison.

So why I chose 5105, because ...
1. The company has its own service facility in India (I am not lost if the unit is sick)
2. At 32k there were hardly any rival models that could match the feature-set (note that it comes with 100w, 8" active subwoofer)
3. It sounded great with Wharfedale 9.2 spkrs (I prefer laid-back sounding system)

In the end let your ears be the final judge rather than reviews by others.

Regards,

5105 will be 27-31K, depends on how hard u bargain and retailers attitude.

thnks a lot for the price... thnks..

Hi Naveen,
I got my 5105 for 32K in Pune. I think you should audition this unit before taking it out of picture. I compared it with a Denon (can't remember model no.... but similar price range) and the difference in Stereo Music wasn't significant to say if either was better than the other.

I compared 5105 with Norge-1000 stereo amp, and found Norge to be clear winner. Which is generally the case with ANY avr vs dedicated stereo amp comparison.

So why I chose 5105, because ...
1. The company has its own service facility in India (I am not lost if the unit is sick)
2. At 32k there were hardly any rival models that could match the feature-set (note that it comes with 100w, 8" active subwoofer)
3. It sounded great with Wharfedale 9.2 spkrs (I prefer laid-back sounding system)

In the end let your ears be the final judge rather than reviews by others.

Regards,

thnks for replying ..

and thnks for the 2.) point. i need such suggestion , this way i will know whether there are other models to comapre.. but that points makes it very clear .... thnks

one doubt though , what is upscaling ? , can upscalling really affect the quality of the video ? and if so can a cable/STB which are at 480i ( correct me if iam wrong ) to around 720p/1080p ? and since ps3 doesnt upscale anything , so when i watch a 700MB movie ? and pass it thru HDMI to AVR , can it upscale to better video resolution ?

does 5105 have a upscaling ? or HDMI pass through ?

Hi Naveen,
II compared it with a Denon (can't remember model no.... but similar price range) and the difference in Stereo Music wasn't significant to say if either was better than the other.

Denon model is 390. It' AVR is very basic, feauture wise. It also lacks GUI. It is custom made for 390. 390 doen't compare with 5105.

Unfair comparision. Don't race ponies with horses. AVR v/s Stereo Amp. Bahuut Nainsaafi HAi....Kaliya.:eek:hyeah::D:eek:hyeah::D

There is one rival though, HK 200. Only -ve for it is It lacks HDMI. Otherwise it's a terrific system.

today i watched a youtube video regarding video upscaling / convertion ..

now i think i have to go for a AVR which can do upscaling of my STB / cable and otehr stuff... coz viewing in 480/560 i is seriuosly lame...

guys can anyone suggest a AVR + 5.1 with upscaling / HDMI input / no pass through ?

Yogesh wrote :

Denon model is 390. It' AVR is very basic, feauture wise. It also lacks GUI. It is custom made for 390. 390 doen't compare with 5105.

Can you please highlight the diffrences between receiver of 5105 and AVR390. I only see both are basic and 5105 has Audyssey setup. BTW whats GUI here?

Sonosphere wrote :

Didn't you check AVR390? It also comes with a 8" active sub. Anyway 100 watt is a marketing gimmick, Happy should be one if it puts 40W in actual.

Naveen_Reloaded wrote :

does 5105 have a upscaling ? or HDMI pass through ?

now i think i have to go for a AVR which can do upscaling of my STB / cable and otehr stuff... coz viewing in 480/560 i is seriuosly lame...

Forget upscaling @ this price point. Unless you are using a screen panel upwards 46" it makes no sense to upconvert as you can hardly make out the difrerence. STB and normal DVD's cannot be upscaled practically to 1080i or 1080P by basic AVR's or DVDp's. So enjoy 480 better by using original content.

I suggest you put your priority on 5.1 sound. Also give Yamaha, Denon and HK a listen. Onkyo speakers in 5105 are awful plastic acceptable only in Htib around 10-15k and not @ 30k.

SUB BOSS wrote :
Didn't you check AVR390? It also comes with a 8" active sub. Anyway 100 watt is a marketing gimmick, Happy should be one if it puts 40W in actual.

Hi SUB BOSS,
Couldn't find a weblink where they are giving full package details of AVR 390. Can you send me the same? BTW what is the price of AVR 390 (incl AVR + 5 spkrs + Active Subwoofer)

It is odd that the dealer who sold Onkyo 5105 to me also dealt in DENON, but he told in clear terms that no other brand gives 5105 total package features in 32k

Thanks,

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back