AVR ADVICE!

Kaltrops

Hi guys!

I’m new here. I’m in the market for an AVR. After rewatching the entire MCU on Disney+, I realized just how badly I needed to get away from my Soundbar.

I have my eye on these ones -

Denon X2400H, X2500H, X1600H
Marantz NR1609.

My major concern is warranty procedure, parts and servicing in Mumbai. Which Brand is more reliable because I would like to keep it for another 5-6 years.

This is the only thing that’s stressing me out - The lifespan. I spoke to a technician from some AV repair Centre and he said go for Marantz cause Denon will last 2 years then you will need to buy a new one. Is this true?

I would also like to start slow cause I have a limited budget of around Rs70K. So I was thinking Micca Mb42X and Mb42X-C for now and then I can repurpose the MB42X for rear surrounds next year.

Will the Denon X2500H power these okay? It will be in a small room. 12x10x9 so around 1200 cubic feet.

Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:
you can start with a 2.0 setup and add up as you have budget. for 70k, you can get a marantz 5013 for 55k and Taga tav 606f se tower speakers for around 21k. You will have a lot of shops in mumbai like profx where you can audition them and then buy.

About warranty, both denon and marantz have 1 year warranty in india and it is complete non-sense to say denon work for just 2 years. I saw people using denon avr for 14 years and never had any issue with them.

Thanks for the reply! Wait an SR5013 for R55K? Where? I’ve searched but couldn’t find it for such a low price! I would really like to have an AVR with HDAM. But which is better for movies?

Wait can an “entry level” AVR like the X2500H last 14 years or the higher end ones? I didn’t realize the newer AVR’s lasted this long.

Last edited:
That person might have labelled Denon because of Denon's habit of releasing new models every year even though they don't have anything substantial to add to the newer model. That's their business practice, so can't crib much.

Marantz does it too, but they are lot more sane about launching newer ones. Still, 6013 vs 6014 totally baffles me. All 6014 got was BT4.1, HDCP2.3 and Atmos virtualisation. Yamaha is lot better in this regard. Anyway.

You can look at Yamaha v685, should cost around 55k I believe. Marantz 5013, as suggested above is pretty good too. I got myself Yamaha v585 and pretty happy with it. Just that upgrade buy has bitten me, otherwise I am happy running my 5.1 setup with v585 with front towers bi-amped.

That person might have labelled Denon because of Denon's habit of releasing new models every year even though they don't have anything substantial to add to the newer model. That's their business practice, so can't crib much.

Marantz does it too, but they are lot more sane about launching newer ones. Still, 6013 vs 6014 totally baffles me. All 6014 got was BT4.1, HDCP2.3 and Atmos virtualisation. Yamaha is lot better in this regard. Anyway.

You can look at Yamaha v685, should cost around 55k I believe. Marantz 5013, as suggested above is pretty good too. I got myself Yamaha v585 and pretty happy with it. Just that upgrade buy has bitten me, otherwise I am happy running my 5.1 setup with v585 with front towers bi-amped.
I would have taken it if you were in Delhi

Hi guys!

I’m new here. I’m in the market for an AVR. After rewatching the entire MCU on Disney+, I realized just how badly I needed to get away from my Soundbar.

Marantz NR1609.

My major concern is warranty procedure, parts, and services in Mumbai. Which Brand is more reliable because I would like to keep it for another 5-6 years.

This is the only thing that’s stressing me out - The lifespan. I spoke to a technician from some AV repair Centre and he said go for Marantz cause Denon will last 2 years then you will need to buy a new one. Is this true?

I would also like to start slow cause I have a limited budget of around Rs70K. So I was thinking Micca Mb42X and Mb42X-C for now and then I can repurpose the MB42X for rear surrounds next year.

Will the Denon X2500H power these okay? It will be in a small room. 12x10x9 so around 1200 cubic feet.

For Music go with Marantz, Denon for Movies (x1600H, best VFM). As far as the life span is concerned, you never know but as long as you have proper ventilation, a good UPS to protect against Spike/Surge, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't last long. ProFx is the official Service Partner/Dealer for Denon in India and they have an office in Mumbai. So servicing shouldn't be an issue.

Hi guys!

Marantz NR1609.

My major concern is warranty procedure, parts and servicing in Mumbai. Which Brand is more reliable because I would like to keep it for another 5-6 years.

Hi

Marantz is more edged towards music and Denon is towards movies....Pioneer and Yamaha are a mix of both worlds.....Built quality matters and also depends on the models you select. We have dedicated owner threads for each of these brands which have first hand ample information and feedback on models and pros and cons....

Unlike USA etc, warranty is limited to one year in India....and we pay so much for it. Some speaker brands offer 2-5 years...again these would be costing more too.....

If you have a set budget, why not explore the pre owned world? Besides our forum which has the For Sale by Owner section, there are a few brands and models being sold on OLX itself. Most of these are individual sellers and some are dealers...

Audition, review and decide.....

Thanks for the reply! Wait an SR5013 for R55K? Where? I’ve searched but couldn’t find it for such a low price! I would really like to have an AVR with HDAM. But which is better for movies?

Wait can an “entry level” AVR like the X2500H last 14 years or the higher end ones? I didn’t realize the newer AVR’s lasted this long.
it is available on avstore.in for 59k and many dealers on local was selling it for 55k new. You can check it with your local dealer and it should be around 55k. When I purchased my 3600h in july, 5013 was available with my dealer at 57k, with further negotiation, he can come down to around ~55k

Nowadays with avrs being complex machines, it depends on your luck. Older ones usually lasted longer due to better build and lesser features. More featured avrs are like pot luck. If you are lucky you are lucky. Service wise to you live in a premier city like mumbai and it should not be an issue.

it is available on avstore.in for 59k and many dealers on local was selling it for 55k new. You can check it with your local dealer and it should be around 55k. When I purchased my 3600h in july, 5013 was available with my dealer at 57k, with further negotiation, he can come down to around ~55k
The price of SR 5012 is quoted more than 5013 in avstore. Yesteryear receivers can really be purchased at a discounted price. There'll be no improvement with the amp section in the latest models. It would just decode more codecs( which are fairly useless to many).

55k is a good price for SR 501x series and I would stay off from the Marantz NR line.

Hi guys!

Marantz NR1609.

Hey Buddy I see you are planning to start your HT journey with Micca Mb42X and Mb42X-C. Just wanted to let you know I am selling my Dali Zensor 3, Dali Zensor 1 and Dali Zensor Vokal for 75000. As I am planning to upgrade to Q Acoustics. Let me know if you might be interested. Dali Zensor 3 is brand new purchased from Amazon and Zensor 1 and Vokal is in a mint condition. No scratches or any kind of service issues. Box and Bill Both is available. Let me know if you might be interested.

Hi. I just checked and it’s discontinued on their site so purchasing is not possible. I honestly can’t find this price anywhere.

Nowadays with avrs being complex machines, it depends on your luck. Older ones usually lasted longer due to better build and lesser features. More featured avrs are like pot luck. If you are lucky you are lucky. Service wise to you live in a premier city like mumbai and it should not be an issue.

Yeah I just went through the Denon owners thread and I’m really put off. People don’t really post that much about their amazing experiences but post more about their problems on forums so that can really mislead potential buyers, so I’m not sure if it’s just that or if the AVR’s really do have problems.

For Music go with Marantz, Denon for Movies (x1600H, best VFM). As far as the life span is concerned, you never know but as long as you have proper ventilation, a good UPS to protect against Spike/Surge, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't last long. ProFx is the official Service Partner/Dealer for Denon in India and they have an office in Mumbai. So servicing shouldn't be an issue.

Just spoke to Profx, the guys in charge of the servicing in Mumbai and they said something really negative. They said parts for Denon AVR’s are available for only 3 years so if it breaks after that period then I will most likely have to buy a new AVR.

They also said Audiomaxx is not a reputed online store and that warranty’s for any purchases made from sites other than profx will not be valid.

I don’t know what to say. So if I buy a Denon X2500H which is already 2 years old and if it breaks next year that’s 3 years and if the parts aren’t available, I’m screwed? This has to be a joke right?

Last edited:

Totally agree...the older models last much much longer when compared to the latest models launched since 2018 onwards!

Totally agree...the older models last much much longer when compared to the latest models launched since 2018 onwards!

So Should I buy the Denon X2400H which is a 2017 model? Apparently parts is an issue for AVR’s in India after 3 years from release so that’s got me worried.

So Should I buy the Denon X2400H which is a 2017 model? Apparently parts is an issue for AVR’s in India after 3 years from release so that’s got me worried.

In my personal experience, I tried a Denon once and returned it back within a week as I didnt feel the real punch that is expected. I would suggest to Audition and decide.

There are many online sites who sell various brands and models, you need to be sure of warranty if purchasing a new one. Some online purchases are not entertained by the Service center...before making any online purchase, please check with the service center if the online dealer is registered with them.

Given limited budget, the pre owned route would make sense as you also want a certain AVR...if a Marantz then with HDAM circuitry etc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back