AVR and Stereo Amp

Or Higher end AVRs can give good quality output in stereo through pure direct mode when compared to Stereo Amps?
You are unlikely to find any that are suitable or do a dual role well. Even the finest from Marantz is just average when it comes to dynamic power.

You are better of purchasing an av receiver with stereo pre outs or 5, 7 channel pre outs and use a external power amplifier to drive your front, center and right speakers. The surrounds can be driven by the avr.

How to find the balance between AVR and Stereo Amp? Shall I buy AVR with pre outs and then add Stereo Amp later? Or Higher end AVRs can give good quality output in stereo through pure direct mode when compared to Stereo Amps? If not, which AVR I should buy with pre outs that cost me the least so as to finance Stereo amp conveniently? And which Stereo Amp to choose that should have HT bypass?
I want to power Concept 40 + concept centre + Q B12 Subwoofer. Surrounds to be added later.

Kindly advise

I have a X4500h, the stereo output is least impressive in comparison to a dedicated stereo chain. My recommendation would be to get an AVR with preouts ( Denon X3600h/x3700h/x4700h) as the first step.

After that depending on your willingness to explore you can follow one of the below routes
i) Get a dedicated separates based Stereo line , this would mean a streamer, dac ( or a combination of both in one unit) , active preamp and a power amp . This is not pleasing aesthetic wise but gives a huge degree of control on the sound signature you desire. I started with an integrated stereo and moved over to chain of separates, it's a lot of work but is equally rewarding too.

ii) Get a passive preamp like Schiit SYS & an integrated amplifier setup ( separate DAC + IA or an IA with inbuilt DAC)

I used to have two different setups 5.1 for AVR and Stereo for Music. My usage is kind of 50-50.

Wanted to reduce the foot print and go for a single setup.

Purchased Marantz SR6013 along with Qacoustics Concept series speakers.

As of now I am happy with this setup for both movies and music.

I use Pure Direct for Music. Only in this setting it's as good as a stereo setup.

AVR has capability to add power amp in case of need. I don't use currently.

Investing in right speakers is equally important for music to shine

A good receiver with pre-outs will be a starting point. In the Marantz series, the SR6xxx and equivalents in Denon / Yamaha could work nicely. I have a Marantz SR 7010 and I use it in pure direct and also with the crown xls 2502 power amp. I further have a separate DAC - Pre - Power setup. The Marantz on it's own does not fall short as far as its ability to drive my Quad S2's go and I am pretty happy with all three setups. The sound signature will be different of all three but all three work just fine and to my satisfaction.

The concept 20's are easy to drive speakers, so a decent AVR should not have problems driving it. You could always add a power amp in future if needed.

Lets assume that you have this integrated amp that you really like and you want to use it in your setup for stereo, if this amp has a HT-bypass, then you could connect all your stereo music sources to the integrated and use it in stereo mode as well as use it's HT-bypass feature to use it as a power amp to drive your Left/Right speakers for Home Theatre use.
Is this HT-bypass way recommended? I am thinking to follow the same route. So that I will have just two same speakers for both HT and Stereo and keep my place neat.

Is this HT-bypass way recommended? I am thinking to follow the same route. So that I will have just two same speakers for both HT and Stereo and keep my place neat.
Right now, I can't think of a better way to integrate a stereo setup into a HT setup. Integrated with a HT Bypass should work fine.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back