Avr for driving Paradigm monitor 9s

sunster

Hi All

I'm planning to buy an avr for my Paradigm monitor 9s. I was considering the pioneer vsx 930 or the DENON 1200/ 2200. Both have output around 110w rms at 8ohms. Would this suffice or would it be underpowered. Also any suggestions for other avrs in the sub 60000 range which has higher output.

Thanks

Sunny

Your signature says you have Marantz SR-7005 AVR? Any particular reason for the upgrade. Marantz AVR can work well for Paradigm Monitor 9 which are 91dB speakers.

Cheers,
Raghu

The Marantz is going to be transferred to another location and I'm looking for another receiver with features like Bluetooth and wifi inbuilt as well as enough power to drive the paradigms

Denons will get you close to the sound signature you already have from Marantz.
Pioneer may sound different. It also has fewer digital inputs.

If you want to stay safe go for Denon 2200; if you are feeling adventurous try the pioneer.
I know this sounds crazy; can you lug your speakers around for audition?

Cheers,
Raghu

Wow. Thanks Raghu. I'm looking for a change in sound as I see myself watching movies a lot lately and also I'm into edm. The warmth of the Marantz is good but I don't mind a change to the brighter side. Any options.

Think of Onkyo...I've always found it to have the 'punch' for movies that you are looking for...something I've observed of late is that Onkyo has kind of fallen out of favor, wonder why?

Get an AVR that has at least 2.1 or 2.2 pre-out.
Later you can always add an out board amp if power is lacking.

Cheers,
Raghu

I'm also leaning toward Onkyo. How does it fare with music and if I pair it with Paradigm monitor 9s. I'm going to be running a purely 5.1 setup for movies and music.

Hi Sunny,

IMHO Marantz has enough of steam to drive the speakers..with its inbuilt adjustable 9 band EQ..nothing can go wrong..the SR5010 has the required features you are looking out for.....since you will be using it as 5.1...you can use the Bridge mode or (A+B) mode to drive the floorstanders....

If budget is an issue, perhaps you can look at pre owned stuff where you can get a good AVR for much less than your budgeted amount....check HiFi Ads, OLX and Quikr... I believe there is a SR 5008 and a Denon for sale which may meet your expectation....although there is no built in Wifi or Blue Tooth...an external device can be connected to fulfill this requirement...all the best....

Thanks for the tips. I'm narrowing it down to the DENON x2200w. Will the 95w per channel at 8 ohms suffice for the paradigm monitor 9s

Thanks for the tips. I'm narrowing it down to the DENON x2200w. Will the 95w per channel at 8 ohms suffice for the paradigm monitor 9s

On paper X2200 and Monitor 9s seem well matched.
Amp is at 95W max (translates to 0-20dBW capable)
Speakers operates between 15-200W (translates to 12-23dBW)
Speakers max sustained power is 150W (translates to 21dBW)

So Denon is well withing operating range of the speaker.
Starting at 91dB-SPL your speakers can produce 91-101 dB when matched with Denon at 1 m. In the real world at 10ft or 3 m this range will be "perceived" as 75-85 dB on a conservative side. This is the fatigue free listening range. About 80dB sound at say 30% volume is not a bad experience at all.

Unless Denon cannot produce the required current under stress (read, momentary low impedance due to content in sound tracks) you should be fine. These days AVRs have enough juice to produce current on demand. If it cannot, then you will have clipping and distortion. Before you hit this limit, AVR should go into safe mode.

Now for movies, it is a different ball game. AVRs these days do not say how many Watts when driving 5 or 7 channels. Expect it to be lower may be in the average range of 60Wpc (translates to 0-17dB) in case of X2200. Still not so bad as far as sound levels are concerned. With 5 speakers it will be pretty loud even at moderate volume. Remember AVRs are smart enough to detect how much power to pump to each channel depending on the content. So there is some pretty advanced "black magic" or real-time processing happening inside.

This is all theory. The best thing will be is to lug you main speakers L/R to the showroom and stress the AVR. It is a pain but it is worth it if you can spare a day to do so.

Cheers,
Raghu

Wow Raghu. That is in depth. Thanks a lot. Makes the decision easier. So happens that a demo room close by has a pair of same paradigms hooked up to a DENON 2200. Will experience it. Once again. Appreciate the info.

Ah. The demo setup makes life easier for you. Stress the AVR and see it holds up to your content (sound and heart)

Cheers,
Raghu

So what did you finally buy, after the test, was the Denon 2200 able to handle the Monitor 9, or did you go with some other received. Can you please post what transpired after the above posts. Reason- I have a Denon 2200 and am looking for the right speakers. Have thought about Monitor 7 but confused.

You can try Anthem AVRs. It may be expensive compared to Denon.
Anthem and Paradigm should match well as they are of the same company.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back