AVR for Movies

pareshlb

I want to decide between the following two,experts pls help
Denon 1311 @18K with 1yr warranty(new)
Yamaha 467 @ 20K with 4 months warranty(used)
Main usage will be for movies.
thanks
Paresh:)

Denon 1611 will be better than 1311 as it can upconvert to HDMI and also supports Audyssey.

Onkyo AVRs also considered as good for movies

If you closely read the price thread you will know that some people have bought denon 1611 for even less. I got a quote of 24750/- from an online seller. So price will be less for direct buyers.

If you are stretched for price at the moment, I will recommend that you do not take half measures right now. Consider low end HTIBs such as those from Sony, Samsung, etc. that are available for 15-20k all incl. Believe me that entry level AVR will cost money and very soon you will realize their limitations. For instance, if Denon is the brand we are talking about, discard anything below AVR-1912, which should be your minimum/baseline. But right now it is too expensive; so settle for something that can be considered use and throw.

But if you have a BD-player, you cannot consider the DVD-HTIB's such as above. In that case, you can opt for an entry level HTIB such as Onkto HT-S3100 or HT-S3300.

When the time comes (say in 2/3 years) that you have the money and inclination, go for a decent setup with a mid-range AVR, good speakers, etc. At that time, you will not feel much about discarding the cheapo HTIB. Or even better, you can move the cheap HTIB to a bedroom with secondary TV.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back