AVR from USA

multifaced

Friends,

First of all sorry for starting a new thread, since already a similar thread is active. still i started one because i wanted to get some clarifications on general doubts, other than technical. next month i will be visiting US for a short trip. then i want to purchase some electronic items from there.. considering the huge price difference in some items like AVR. here my doubts are...

1) AVR is bulky and heavy. i don't think i can take it with me in cabin baggage. only option is to put them in check in. is there anyone who brought an AVR from US?

2) is it safe to keep the AVR inside my luggage protected with items like cloths? since it will be bulkier with its package.

3) i planning to limit my budget to 350-400 $. because i don't want to take risk on more expensive sets. i think A Denon 1909 or Yamaha 663 will come in that price. (reference: amazon). i want one with video upconversion.

4) Is there anything else (in electronic) do you think worth buying from there?

please help me..

1. please carry the AVR in its own package - the airlines will mark it as fragile and it will come comfortably in the luggage section. Limit the AVR to 20-22k INR max (25k permissible for personal use)

2. Zune HD (if its available there now)

1. please carry the AVR in its own package - the airlines will mark it as fragile and it will come comfortably in the luggage section. Limit the AVR to 20-22k INR max (25k permissible for personal use)

2. Zune HD (if its available there now)

Thanks Suprateep, is it really 25 k the max limit? i thought it was 30k.

Thanks Suprateep, is it really 25 k the max limit? i thought it was 30k.

stay within 25 for electronics - a laptop is not included - so if you want to buy the latest laptop in the US you can go ahead. But i would say stick to an avr that costs below 25k and jsut bring it over in its original package through the airlines. Ask the airline personnel to ark it as fragile.

Also try to get the zune HD (fold away the packaging or throw it away) and use it along the way. Same hold true for cameras etc.

I got my panasonic lumix 6.0 MP some 3 years back when they used to cost upwards of 15-16k in India for some 200 USD (conversion late of 43-44 then) - bang for the buck and still works and beats my bros sony 8 MP in picture quality anyday.

25k is the limit. However, unless very obvious currently custom officials are not finicky about this, but as quoted earlier, better to carry original bills and buy stuff (atleast the large ones) for less than 25000 Rs per person.

I bought of my avr's from US. First one was in the bag padded from all sides with clothes. second one was in the original packaging. if its within 25k, you dont have to pay duty.
If they mark it as fragile, that means they are absolved of all responsibilities if something happens to the AVR. The "marking fragile" is not for the safety of the item, but to save the airline's ass if something happens to the item:lol:

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back