AVR in the Rs 100,000 price range

Does Sunfire makes sense in this price range,I am just asking out of eagerness.
I remember,one of my friend at my college had a 7 lakh sunfire Rig,it was a monster and blows you away,i dont really recollect the model,specs etc.It might not stand now since we have the next gen audio formats now.
Vj

My 2 paisa on AV Receivers - If you plan to combine music and movie listening into 1 unit, then IMHO one needs to consider the higher end rcvrs. the units from cos like Arcam, Parasound, Classe, Sunfire or even Simaudio, Krell, Theta etc, because these from my auditioning sound very good on music - but when it comes to standard 7.1 movie reproduction I have noticed that the mass mkt cos like Yam, Den, Onkyo, Pioneer or B&K, NAD can sound excellent - has to do with the way movies soundtracks are mixed as well as acoustics in your own room with 5 or 7 speakers and a sub. Also one has to consider obsolesence with formats changing every couple of years. Now the best of both worlds would be to buy exotic components in both settings, if one can afford it:)

.... when I imported a Promitheus tvc preamp last year.

Sorry moderators, and members for this little out-of-thread talk, but I was considering a Promitheus tvc pre-amp very seriously a few months ago to pair it with a power amp like the Odyssey Stratos. Actually the guy from Promitheus was offering me a great price and I was dying to find out more about this Promitheus. Ultimately I did not take the plunge (chickened out, you could say) and settled for something very different and I am very very happy with it. But for my own and others' education, it would be nice if you care to share a bit about this passive pre-amp, with wihich other gear you have paired it with and so on. May be not here, but if you wish, perhaps in a different thread.

Sorry again, and regards.

My 2 paisa on AV Receivers - If you plan to combine music and movie listening into 1 unit, then IMHO one needs to consider the higher end rcvrs. the units from cos like Arcam, Parasound, Classe, Sunfire or even Simaudio, Krell, Theta etc, because these from my auditioning sound very good on music - but when it comes to standard 7.1 movie reproduction I have noticed that the mass mkt cos like Yam, Den, Onkyo, Pioneer or B&K, NAD can sound excellent - has to do with the way movies soundtracks are mixed as well as acoustics in your own room with 5 or 7 speakers and a sub. Also one has to consider obsolesence with formats changing every couple of years. Now the best of both worlds would be to buy exotic components in both settings, if one can afford it:)

Parasound never had an AVR in its range. Their first AVR - HDR77 is yet to be released. I can't recall any AVR from classe, Simaudio.
But I'm sure when the Parasound AVR comes out, it would be nothing short of spectacular in Audio performance. Price is expected to be just under $3000

Also, I would not count NAD as a mass market brand.

My Bad - what I meant is HT preamps from the higher end brands - Yup I agree these companies do not make receivers - I heard their pres, in fact I used to own a parasound pre and a 5 channel amp a few years back and that was when I auditioned a bunch of higher end pre-pros in the Detroit area where I used to live.
The best I can recall was a theta - I want to say Casablanca (no flames pl. my memory is bad), that I felt played music beautifully.
I believe the standard NAD is a mass market brand - at least in the US it is - I think they have a upmarket line called the master series that competes in the higher end.
Anyhow that is just my opinion - no offence intended

Would it be possible to buy something in the 60-70k with 1080i or p upscaling?

The Yamaha 863, Denon 2310, and Marantz 6003 all provide upscaling upto 1080P. Marantz, in their modest way, call it up-conversion.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat - I plan to head to the profx store in Hyd - maybe this weekend and I will try to check out the 2 denons.

Thanks Venkat - I plan to head to the profx store in Hyd - maybe this weekend and I will try to check out the 2 denons.

Another option is to choose an AVR with pre-outs. In this case the AVR will act as a pre-amplifier leaving the amplification to a independent two channel power amp. This way you can get good music as well as good movie sound from the combination.

Cheers

Another option is to choose an AVR with pre-outs. In this case the AVR will act as a pre-amplifier leaving the amplification to a independent two channel power amp. This way you can get good music as well as good movie sound from the combination.

Cheers

One of the reasons I chose Denon 2309 over 1909 (It does not have pre outs). Though I have not picked up the additional 2 channel power amp as yet.

sid,

i am going to be based out of Delhi. I am moving there in the end of this month. the only thing i am scared about is custom duty. I would imagine they would have charged something on ur kit also. By the way which SVS you bought? I had the audition of PB13U in kent home cinema last year. it was awesome brute power but in the end went for Jl audio f113 due to its finesse, size, power and calibration.

as per what venkat says make sense however i still feel its all about DACS in used and most of the cheaper ones do not have high quality dacs like burr brown 1796 or 1794. therefore most of the time its advisable to spend upto the figure you are looking at as anything above just add the power and few other tits and bits which are more of marketing gimmick then of any use.

so take your time and trust your ears while buying.

regards,

swatantra

Parasound never had an AVR in its range. Their first AVR - HDR77 is yet to be released. I can't recall any AVR from classe, Simaudio.
But I'm sure when the Parasound AVR comes out, it would be nothing short of spectacular in Audio performance. Price is expected to be just under $3000

Also, I would not count NAD as a mass market brand.

Just out of curiosity, how would these fit in?

Product Lines > Halo > P 7 Preamplifier
Product Lines > Halo > A 51 Five Channel Power Amplifier
Simaudio MOON CP-8 Preamplifier / Processor
Simaudio MOON MC-8 Multi-Channel Amplifier

I guess, all one needs is an excellent source with on board decoding and 5/7.1 output.

Other than the obvious Master Series, NAD is pretty much in the league of any other AV company out there.

The OP might want to try Lexicon as well, if he can get hold of it!

All the above might be significantly above 1L, but then again, you are entering a whole different level of AV.

Cheers.

Just out of curiosity, how would these fit in?

Product Lines > Halo > P 7 Preamplifier
Product Lines > Halo > A 51 Five Channel Power Amplifier
Simaudio MOON CP-8 Preamplifier / Processor
Simaudio MOON MC-8 Multi-Channel Amplifier

I guess, all one needs is an excellent source with on board decoding and 5/7.1 output.

Other than the obvious Master Series, NAD is pretty much in the league of any other AV company out there.

The OP might want to try Lexicon as well, if he can get hold of it!

All the above might be significantly above 1L, but then again, you are entering a whole different level of AV.

Cheers.

P7 or even C2 (universal input voltage) could be fantastic. Have not come across a single negative feedback about A51 so far. can't go wrong with the Halo series.

Simaudio, IMO, is overpriced product.

NAD, although a good product, quality is a bit of a concern. for the price, I guess there are better options.

Lexicon, from what I understand, dont make their amps (I could be wrong here). Crown makes their 7 channel amps, which is not taken well among certain audiophiles. no scientific reasons; but why take chance...

Swatantra,
I have the svs pc12 plus. I moved back to India 2 years ago from US and moved my belongings in a 20' container under TR, so I paid about 1 lakh duty on all my stuff, including 4 pairs of speakers, a pair of monoblock tube amps, couple of solid state amps, a few tube and solid state preamps, all my ht spkrs incl. the svs, a few dvd & cd players. Had to use influence with cutoms ppl, initially they tried to impose 10lacs duty.

Swatantra,
I have the svs pc12 plus. I moved back to India 2 years ago from US and moved my belongings in a 20' container under TR, so I paid about 1 lakh duty on all my stuff, including 4 pairs of speakers, a pair of monoblock tube amps, couple of solid state amps, a few tube and solid state preamps, all my ht spkrs incl. the svs, a few dvd & cd players. Had to use influence with cutoms ppl, initially they tried to impose 10lacs duty.

Sid,

thanks pal for all the information. I am really worried about my stuff now although I have someone who does the clearing at ports but can't trust these buggers. i can't believe they were asking for 10 lacs so basically they just say what they feel like. I actually moved from SVS Pb13ultra which i kept for around 6 months and had to change it finally due to constant threat from wife:sad: nevertheless, I am in love with Jl now which gives more power and low grunt below 20hz. and absolutely love the 4 inch excursion. overall, SVS i think is one of the best company for sub beating seaten, HSU and all other ID sub companies.

i feel sad and sorry that our government do not want people to return to motherland by imposing such ludicrous amount of custom even after considering that they are used items.

anyways have you decided about the AVR? I would suggest either Onkyo 906 or Denon 3808A and i am sure Profx people will give it away within 1lkhs as they mostly have the 3808 model and not above mentioned which is been released recently.

try your luck you never know.

Regards,

swatantra

Swatantra,
JL audio makes superb subs, I had the good fortune of hearing these when I was over in the states this May. The best part IMHO they seemed comfortable with musical low note reproduction which I was never happy about the svs. It always felt kinda sluggish w/ music. Now I dont know about the box designs in SVS as I always had the cyliner designs but they perform great with movie sound tracks.
Regarding customs what I learnt was that negotiation is the key and a very clear list of your belongings helps further because then they know that your are being honest (though they themselves are not). Anyways after that it is a matter of convincing them the age of the equipment with receipts and so on. It takes a little bit of patience.
I'm still deciding on the AVR after all the excellent suggestions. Will make my decision in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers - Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back