AVR Remote is not Responding

I can give an analogy to help understand what Shriram and others have been talking about.

I have understood your analogy.
If any HDMI is connected (ARC or whatever), you still run the risk of frying the board when a lighting bolt strikes. Nothing is going to save you.

If you want to experience the same, get a tatasky hd connection and try for it.
For me it happened with a DIY subwoofer which burnt one of the subwoofer output of my avr by the reversed signal.

I have used TATA Sky HD and Videocon HD. I have not had any trouble.
This so called reversed surge signal, or whatever you call it, is a design fault of the DIY sub woofer. Not the fault of the receiver. What you are implying is that we now have to disconnected everything connected to the receiver after we are done entertaining ourselves.

It is purely a precaution since we hook up the STB with AVR to watch channels with better output but we don't realize it could potentially harm the AVR.

Agree. Precaution is good. I practice the same. You identify the source for potential damage and that source is the STB input. You disconnect the cable running from the dish at the STB end. This way you don't run the risk of causing any harm to anything in the AV chain.

Guys, common, please. What you are suggesting is all a bit ridiculous. You buy a modern AVR with all the fancy bells and whistles, 4K, HDR, DTS HD Master and whatever else, and then, you are supposed to run a feed of legacy optical and HDMI, and on top of it, disconnect HDMI to safe guard the receiver. Don't you think this is all a bit inconvenient after spending so much money on up to date equipment?

The static generated by constantly pushing and pulling out cables is enough to fry any electronic equipment. You end up passing on some of that static even by yourself.

Leaving HDMI connected even to the TV, you run the risk of frying the board on your TV too.

If you are so worried about lighting bolts or surges in the line, the simple solution is to disconnect from the mains, on a bad weather day and take off the cable running from your dish at the STB end. Problem solved. No stabilizer, surge protector, UPS or CVT is going to save you. Anything that sends a reverse feed signal that is potentially harmful is a product you need to discard. That is just bad design.

I maybe fortunate here. In all my life running various AV equipment and right down to my refrigerator, I have never used a stabilizer for any of them. My desktop had a UPS. Not for surges or voltage issues. It was to avoid abrupt power outages as you know the hard drives don't take too well to this sort of thing and you obviously want a moment to save your work.

Last edited:
I sold my Pioneer AVR as it looks to a problem with IR Receiver got an new remote to test it and it didn't work . Planning to buy new AVR

Hi Dinesh,

Sorry to hear that the receiver did not work out well for you. It worked fault free for the time I used it. I still can't quite understand how or why the remote stopped responding. This is unheard off on receivers or anything that works with a remote.

Sandeep

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back