AVR Remote is not Responding

Dineshshank

Hi,

My Pioneer AVR VSX 1122 is not responding to the remote . Below are some of the testing and Finding .Has anyone come across this issue and fixed it

I tested my Remote :

By changing New battery
Resetting the Remote
Using the Phone Camera to Check the IR light . I was able to see the light .

I tested my AVR :

All the manual button in the AVR worked fine
Also tried to reset my AVR

Some Observation

After resetting the remote i tried to Pair with the TV to check if the Remote is working with other device . It worked well i was able to control my Tv .

When I switch OFF my Main power to the AVR and switch back after some time .The remote works for sometime .Then after AVR stops responding to the remote .

Last edited:
Can be a processor issue, as remote sensors either fail completely or wont work. If you have other intermittent issues, with connectivity and so on, its warning that the thing is going to die in a near future.

Can be a processor issue, as remote sensors either fail completely or wont work. If you have other intermittent issues, with connectivity and so on, its warning that the thing is going to die in a near future.
But my Function keys in AVR works perfectly all the time without any issue.

Can you reverse the settings you did for HDMI CEC and anything related around HDMI and check if the problem repeats. This sounds like a problem that started soon after you got ARC working which needed a little fiddling.

Disable or Enable each HDMI related parameter, one by one and check.

The remote sensor cannot work at random. It either works or does not work at all.

Under HDMI ARC, it is possible for a another device to take control of the device functions, however, it should not disable remote operation. This is totally independent.

Are you able to increase gain on the receiver using the TV remote, when the receiver is taking a signal from the TV via ARC?

Please do not hand in the receiver for any service before confirming there is a real problem. They will only rip it apart and tell you this and that is broken and needs replacement which will end up costing you more than the receiver itself.

I have taken the AVR to the service centre in Madurai .Thanks Sriram for refering .
The service guy was good and was trying to check with another remote .It worked perfectly with that and asked me to check the remote .I ordered for an OEM remote from Amazon. The service guy ding charge me anytime which was really kind of him.
Everpert Remote Control for Pioneer VSX-521/AXD7660/VSX-422-K/AXD7662 AV Receiver https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07JVK3X32/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_oGpLCb593RKB4

Good that you found the spare for your AVR. Few thumb rule to safe guard your AVR and its equipment.

1) Keep your remote meant to be used only for your AVR. Avoid pairing and using for TV or STB. Big NO to experiments
2) Make sure your AVR is not under UPS powered. Always have a stabilizer, at least VGuard Digi 200 for consistent power and keep it plugged in a surge protector
3) Give enough ventilation for your AVR for its longevity. Bare minimum, keep a laptop cooling pad on top when you use the AVR
4) Never connect your STB (Set Top Box) to your AVR. That will pass reverse power to your AVR which will make severe damage to your HDMI board as most of the AVRs are modular designed these days

All the best

Last edited:
Good that you found the spare for your AVR. Few thumb rule to safe guard your AVR and its equipment.

1) Keep your remote meant to be used only for your AVR. Avoid pairing and using for TV or STB. Big NO to experiments
2) Make sure your AVR is not under UPS powered. Always have a stabilizer, at least VGuard Digi 200 for consistent power and keep it plugged in a surge protector
3) Give enough ventilation for your AVR for its longevity. Bare minimum, keep a laptop cooling pad on top when you use the AVR
4) Never connect your STB (Set Top Box) to your AVR. That will pass reverse power to your AVR which will make severe damage to your HDMI board as most of the AVRs are modular designed these days

All the best
Is this for Pioneer only or any AVR?

All the best
Sriram
I am already following the rule 2,3 & 4
Pairing I did some R&D

Never connect your STB (Set Top Box) to your AVR. That will pass reverse power to your AVR which will make severe damage to your HDMI board as most of the AVRs are modular designed these days

Do you have evidence of such a thing?
What makes a STB HDMI output function so different from say a TV or a gaming console?
I have always had the STB connected to the AV Receiver and it did not cause any damage.

What makes a STB HDMI output function so different from say a TV or a gaming console?
I have always had the STB connected to the AV Receiver and it did not cause any damage.

I don't have a piece of evidence and such thing need not be shared with evidence, it's indeed a precaution.

There is harm to connecting STB (applicable to the ones issued by govt) since it is more vulnerable to lightning strikes and directly result in the failure of HDMI board and other circuitry including display too. HDMI cables have copper which transmit signal. And we cannot ensure the quality of components it is constructed with.

It is purely a precaution since we hook up the STB with AVR to watch channels with better output but we don't realize it could potentially harm the AVR.

Most of the time the service center receives AVRs for service particularly for the same reason. Also, it is a pain to spend a huge amount for AVR repairs since most of the AVRs are modular in design where you get to change the entire board in case of failures.

If it works, it is good indeed but it need not be the case for everyone.

Last edited:
sandeepmohan, to be frank it is hard to submit any edivence for sure. If you want to experience the same, get a tatasky hd connection and try for it.
For me it happened with a DIY subwoofer which burnt one of the subwoofer output of my avr by the reversed signal.

I can give an analogy to help understand what Shriram and others have been talking about.
Consider a PCI modem connected to your motherboard which has a telephone line connected to it.
Now imagine a lightning hit, a burst of current flows through the Telephone line to the modem and burns not only the PCI modem but also the motherboard slot where the PCI modem was plugged in.
It is a similar sort of scenario with STB where signal cables from KU band VSAT is plugged in, a surge of current flowing through these cables could potentially flow back to the AVR from the HDMI and damage the AVR,
For enjoying TV Audio through AVR, I'd recommend using either HDMI ARC functionality or Opt Audio Out on the TV itself, works for me.
Hope this helps.

won't a lightning strike damage the TV connected via HDMI to STB. ? In my case, the TV is more expensive than my AVR. Or are the TV boards cheaper than AVR boards ?

PS: I have unsubscribed to Dish, disconnected HDMI, so no worry for me. Just a curious question.

won't a lightning strike damage the TV connected via HDMI to STB. ? In my case, the TV is more expensive than my AVR. Or are the TV boards cheaper than AVR boards ?

PS: I have unsubscribed to Dish, disconnected HDMI, so no worry for me. Just a curious question.
It's a good question however based on my experience I've observed that the HDMI ports on the TV are more rugged, I don't know why :rolleyes:

sandeepmohan, to be frank it is hard to submit any edivence for sure. If you want to experience the same, get a tatasky hd connection and try for it.
For me it happened with a DIY subwoofer which burnt one of the subwoofer output of my avr by the reversed signal.
DIY.. MMM.. that ex plains... ;)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back