Remote not working after batteries leaked inside the remote of my Harman kardon AVR 3550

rwnano

AVR remote control is not working after the batteries leaked inside the remote a few months ago. I am surprised to see this since remotes are usually passive and the insides are clean of any battery goo/gunk.

How do I fix this problem please?

If all the components of the remote were passive then it wouldn't need a power source (the battery).
The leaked battery electrolytes are corrosive - they have probably damaged some contact points, tracks or components depending upon the extent of the leakage. Open it up fully and check. If you're lucky, it may just be buildup preventing proper contact. You need to clean all that off. What type of batteries were they - Alkaline?

If all the components of the remote were passive then it wouldn't need a power source (the battery).
The leaked battery electrolytes are corrosive - they have probably damaged some contact points, tracks or components depending upon the extent of the leakage. Open it up fully and check. If you're lucky, it may just be buildup preventing proper contact. You need to clean all that off. What type of batteries were they - Alkaline?
Yes likely alkaline batteries

The coil that conducts power from the battery to the inside of the remote got damaged and corroded. It must be possible that its not carry full current to the inside of the remote from the battery.

I can say with 100% confidence that these would have been duracell alkaline. Never put a alkaline battery of duracell brand. Use energizer or amazon
I really cannot understand why Duracell is so expensive and popular. It's a remote destroyer. Long back I too faced the same issue with it and stopped buying them. Energizer is good.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back