AVR + Speakers from US

anshuk23

I know this topic's been done to death, and might not warrant a new thread, but bear with me guys. Just this one time.
I'm coming back to India in a couple of months, and was planning to buy a AVR with some speakers.
That said,
1. AVR: Does it make sense to buy one from one of:
Audio Video Receivers
Yamaha | Denon | Dual Voltage Audio Video receivers, World Wide voltage 110-220 volt AV Amps
Receiver

or should I buy one off amazon, and use a transformer with it? I dont really want to clutter my room with that ugly looking box, but at the same time, if I buy one from the sites above, I run the risk of not testing it here during the warranty period (since they'll be 220v models).

2. Speakers: I'm planning to plant this setup in a 10x12 room, and am not planning to add subwoofers to the setup. So this is going to be a 5.0 setup.
Am I losing a lot on not adding the sub? I plan to buy this 5.0:
Amazon.com: Polk Audio RM85 5-Channel Home Theater System (Set of Five, Black): Electronics

I might add the sub sometime later, but for now, I'm on a budget.

The other option I have is to have good center channel and front speakers:
Amazon.com: Polk Audio TL1 Speaker Center Channel (Each, Black): Electronics
and
Amazon.com: Polk Audio RM8 Wide-Dispersion Array Satellite Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

Which setup would be better?
Also, is there a voltage/frequency issue with the speakers? With the sub, there is, but with the other speakers?

I'm looking at a overall budget of ~500 dollars, so pl keep this in mind while you respond.

Thanks guys. Sorry if some of these questions are outright foolish. I'm learning the lingo, so just wanted to be sure about everything. :)

Hi,

AVR with 220 volt support: Good, but there is no BIG price advantage buying from US.

AVR with 110 v + local made transformer: makes less sense to bring : risk of no warranty, voltage issues

Speakers: HTIB is not a big advantage. 95Hz-24kHz response is a normal spec. Probably you need a SUB !.

Boston acoustics soundware with Sub sells for 24K in india !.

You can buy polk bookshelf or floor standers speakers in almost same rates in India now . unless it is a refurbished . these are recommended than the small ones

hg

Last edited:
Small drivers without sub, the system is kind of handicapped.

You can save some money by buying a 5.1 system or something with bigger drivers like couple of bookshelves.

Last edited:
I wouldnt hesitiate to bring a 110V unit-I have a Marantz pre pro with a step down unit, it works fine-and many other FMS also have bought 110V gear. The price difference is significant.

It is a good option to get a 110v Receiver from US as the price diff is almost 50% from here in india. warranty might be an issue but it is least risky, many of my friends have it without facing any issues till date. And get the sub too. Few days back Polk Audio 10inch sub was up for 70$ on amazon almost 4.5kRs and where would you get such an offer. now it is increased to 120$. but still it makes sense to purchase all the components together Av, speaker and sub.

Go for 110V(just have look there must be receivers that support both 110 and 220)?

As for 110V, I am using 110V SR6007(Open Box bought for $600, new was 1199) with step down transformer. Price difference is huge. Try to look for all brands and look for Open Box or may be refurbished if that works for you. As you are in US you can test thoroughly with speakers and return if any issues.

Note : There is always a risk involved, in case something goes wrong I am not sure how easy it is to find someone to service since its been bought from US. But even spider man has to take risk :D.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back