AVR with good stereo 2channel / neo6?

corElement

Hello,

I was wonderring something after reading a lot of posts - a lot of people said that integrated amps produce better musical audio than even high end receivers on 2ch mode.

I have one old phillips amp and bookshelves with full range drivers from 1970's which indeed sound amazing with old songs - not so good with new - but its starting to die so I cant really say anything about it.

However as I said I was curious and when I first got my jamo avr-693 6.1 amp I never even bothered to check out stereo 2channel , directly started using PL and PLII and for music I used 5 channel upmix. So when I read about 2 channels on stereo being better than 2ch on avr's I switched to two channel expecting shitty sound. Surprise surprise the speakers just opened up like someone took a lid off them , completely mopped the floor of direct 5.1 upmix.
However the center and rears died I did some fiddling around and found neo 6 mode was unlocked as well switched to neo6 music and the same quality stayed in the towers but the center and rears turned on aswell!

Is it possible my amp has a good 2ch stereo and a good neo6 music upmixer ? Cuz the sounds really amazing in comparison to the direct upmix from 2ch or dolby pl. I'm noticing dolby PL and dts sounds better in movies but neo6 with direct 2 channel input really really brings the towers to life. Noone knows about my amp and some even snort at jamo avr's but I'm only finding more and more satisfying things, is it possible that my amp has a good stereo/neo6 mode compared to other brands?

However the center and rears died I did some fiddling around and found neo 6 mode was unlocked as well switched to neo6 music and the same quality stayed in the towers but the center and rears turned on aswell!

Is it possible my amp has a good 2ch stereo and a good neo6 music upmixer ? Cuz the sounds really amazing in comparison to the direct upmix from 2ch or dolby pl. I'm noticing dolby PL and dts sounds better in movies but neo6 with direct 2 channel input really really brings the towers to life. Noone knows about my amp and some even snort at jamo avr's but I'm only finding more and more satisfying things, is it possible that my amp has a good stereo/neo6 mode compared to other brands?

What is neo6 ? Is it a codec/chip which mixs 2ch into 5.1 ? Do u want to say your avr sounded better in 2-ch sound than movie sound with same speakers. What are speakers u r pairing with avr?

Last edited:
What is neo6 ? Is it a codec/chip which mixs 2ch into 5.1 ? Do u want to say your avr sounded better in 2-ch sound than movie sound with same speakers. What are speakers u r pairing with avr?

Neo6 is codec from Dts which converts 2ch to 5.1 like DD prologic.

I'm finding neo6 to give "pure audio" quality output to towers and also play rear and center vs the default "5 channel stereo" upmix. The sound is pretty amazing hearing towers on 2ch dedicated stereo and neo6 music mode.

Simple observation - if you like what you listen to, then you have reached the end point in your quest.

Yes, integrated amps are better built for music than AVRs due to the feature set that comes with the AVRs (something has to give) but the newer AVRs (past 3-4 yrs) are decent for music as well.

One thing to consider is that Neo-6 is a simulation of the sound and is meant for 6 channel setup. Pushing this through 2 channels is not a direct apple/apple comparison.

Hello,

I was wonderring something after reading a lot of posts - a lot of people said that integrated amps produce better musical audio than even high end receivers on 2ch mode.

I have one old phillips amp and bookshelves with full range drivers from 1970's which indeed sound amazing with old songs - not so good with new - but its starting to die so I cant really say anything about it.

However as I said I was curious and when I first got my jamo avr-693 6.1 amp I never even bothered to check out stereo 2channel , directly started using PL and PLII and for music I used 5 channel upmix. So when I read about 2 channels on stereo being better than 2ch on avr's I switched to two channel expecting shitty sound. Surprise surprise the speakers just opened up like someone took a lid off them , completely mopped the floor of direct 5.1 upmix.

Simple observation - if you like what you listen to, then you have reached the end point in your quest.

Yes, integrated amps are better built for music than AVRs due to the feature set that comes with the AVRs (something has to give) but the newer AVRs (past 3-4 yrs) are decent for music as well.

One thing to consider is that Neo-6 is a simulation of the sound and is meant for 6 channel setup. Pushing this through 2 channels is not a direct apple/apple comparison.

I see, I suppose you're right because I think I'm satisfied now. yay!

@ Core element

Had you been able to catch up at the huge meetup in Gurgaon, i believe your questions could have been effectively answered with all many equipments at hand including 6 speakers of brands like - Dali, Quad, Wharfedale and plugged in to test with SACD/CDP via - AVR (Denon-2309), Stereo Amp(Marantz Pm15 S1), Quad(Pre-Power) & the Tube Amp ..the differences were evident to the ear ther and then.

I dont really confirm to upscaling technologies personally, but its a matter of the ear & heart both. Since, as one of the friend says ..that if you like what you hear, the job is done. Now you can just look onto the deeper aspects of your journey as an audiophile.

wishing best

I really wanted to but im moving to new apartment in ggn in these 4 days, too many other things planned.. workers, carpenters etc.

I can imagine the differences were quite something. Thats why I feel I have to leave my brain to adapt to a certain level of satisfactory sound, which I feel has been achieved for me - for now.. tastes change over time, very subjective so lets see where my tastes take me in 5 years :D

I can imagine the differences were quite something. Thats why I feel I have to leave my brain to adapt to a certain level of satisfactory sound, which I feel has been achieved for me - for now.. tastes change over time, very subjective so lets see where my tastes take me in 5 years

That is true pal.. though satisfaction is rather a rare & difficult event esp in audio world, but enjoy till you carve for something else.

Unfortunately my yamhav863 avr donot have neo6 or I would have been tried it. My avr supports only "Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio with CINEMA DSP and Adaptive DSP Level".

How do you select a perticular codec in your AVR??

cheers

That is true pal.. though satisfaction is rather a rare & difficult event esp in audio world, but enjoy till you carve for something else.

Unfortunately my yamhav863 avr donot have neo6 or I would have been tried it. My avr supports only "Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio with CINEMA DSP and Adaptive DSP Level".

How do you select a perticular codec in your AVR??

cheers

Your AVR is far advanced and better than Jamo referred!

From what I understand the yamhav863 is indeed far more advanced but from its specs, it definitely seems to be a hardcore movie avr. The reason why I stayed away from yamahas and pioneers. I liked marantz and denon but their stuff was more expensive had had far more features than I wanted or needed.

Last edited:
I agree Yamaha863 is a good amp, but neo6 is not mentioned anywhere in its manual. So it may not be that advanced.

Secondly can selection of different codec can be made manually ?? how??

cheers

Unfortunately my yamhav863 avr donot have neo6 or I would have been tried it. How do you select a perticular codec in your AVR??

The 863 does support DTS Neo 6. In terms of choosing a Codec, the best is to allow the AVR to select the Codec based on the signal it gets from the DVD.

Cheers

The 863 does support DTS Neo 6. In terms of choosing a Codec, the best is to allow the AVR to select the Codec based on the signal it gets from the DVD.

Cheers

Mine didnt initially show neo6 either, it only came on when I selected pure stereo. Maybe thats what he needs to do.

If you have neo6, id def recommend it over standard 2ch pcm upmixing to multichannel and also dolby prologic II music mode. the dolby gives better effects but the neo6 just makes my day in terms of how all the speaker put out the sound from a stereo source.

Last edited:

Oh! thanks venkat, it is great to know that 863 supports neo6. Normally we allow the AVR to select the Codec based on the signal it gets from the DVD. But after corElement's experience I would like to try it with 2-ch. Now the question is how to unlock it???

Oh! thanks venkat, it is great to know that 863 supports neo6. Normally we allow the AVR to select the Codec based on the signal it gets from the DVD. But after corElement's experience I would like to try it with 2-ch. Now the question is how to unlock it???

Try pressing the "surround" button on your remote, you may have repeat it till you see Neo6, otherwise the best option is to go thru the manual.

I think what you need to do is get "PCM" source and then cycle surround modes, then compare between stereo only with neo6 and native upmix

For me

native upmix = all 5 speakers active but sound : okish not noticible GREAT
Stereo only = Front two towers : sounds GREAT, towers come alive
neo6 = all 5 speakers active / sound near 95% stereo quality from fronts but center and rears active and you can configure them with center dimension width setting for neo6 how you want the soundstage to be.
Dolby PLII music mode : Worst utilization of the speakers but good seperation of effects between each speaker.

Back