AVR With Step Down Transformers

sachmm

Dear FMs,
I am from Bengaluru but currently in Japan. I came across really high end AVRs from Yamaha and Denon at really good price compared to India. You could check out amazon.co.jp. I am really tempted:licklips: to buy but the voltage difference is stopping me.

Now my question is, will it be a good idea to use it in India with a step down transformer? What difficulties will I face? Does it affect the sound quality. If Any FMs have similar experience or knowledge kindly share.
Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Spirovious. I checked these these links out. In most cases I have noticed that ppl who purchased the equipment from the US rated at 110V are okay with the step down transformer(SDT). But in the case of Japan it is different than the US at 100V. I am more inclined to presume that the possibility of modifying the two internal transformers from parallel to series connection to make them 220V will not exist either:sad:

FMs could please let me know if 220v to 100v transformers wd be available in India.

BTW I am thinking of purchasing the Denon AVR X4100 or the Aventage 1040.

Hi

The AVRs may be cheap out there, you need to consider the weight you will carry and hence payment of the same to airlines, then customs at our end and also the issue of step down transformer....most of all...no warranty....

Based on these facts ask yourself is it worth all the trouble or would you be better off purchasing from one of the many dealers here in India at a competitive rate with warranty?

Again these are my personal views.....the call is yours entirely....all the best

Hi efernand1, ya looking at all those aspects is v imp. I think I will drop the idea most probably. I think I am just bit by the upgrade bug even though theres nothing wrong wit my existing gear.:)

Universal Transformers in SP Road (not very far from Amar Radio Corporation) can wind a 230 to 100 V transformer for you. I am using two 230-120 V transformers bought from them for the last three years in audio and video gear brought from the US without any issues.

cheers,
Reji

My Maxine step down transformer has two output points one is for 110 volts and other is for 100. I am sure you should be able to use the same for Japan bought amp.

You can get a step down transformer made for any voltage ratio you desire ! Plenty of people who will make a one off transformer for decent prices.

If you are out of the country for more than a week you can bring back goods worth Rs45,000/- duty free. Only if it costs more than that do they charge something like 36% "on the excess amount". 45K duty free is for the value of all goods but usually they only look at the most expensive thing . However , unless it's really expensive or very large and heavy they don't look for exact value.

The Yamaha should be good value for money. It's a good unit. You can always sell it off here if you decide not to keep it. You can't go back to get it ...if you want it later. Remember to run it in for a couple of months (!) before deciding on the sound quality. Mine took many months to sound great. First day out of the box , it sounded dull ! Was quite disappointed . However after a few months of constant use it started to sound really good. I can only attribute it to the proper 'formation' of the foils in the electrolytic capacitors which need a DC voltage across them. This is highly debated but my Yamaha certainly sounds very good today !

Thanks Reji, Dushie n Fantastic for your replies. Your explanation has got me interested again! Fantastic, thanks for sharing your experience with your Yamaha AVR.
I was contemplating on buying either NAD or Anthem AVRs as I am more inclined towards music (but movies are imp too :)). My existing Onkyo 636 even though it has all the bells and whistles is not great for music is what I feel. I have some good FS speakers and I want to pair them with a solid AVR. However the NAD/Anthem are difficult to get here (Japan) as per what I have seen so far.

I dont need Atmos/4K options at all. I will be very happy with 5.1 and 1080p. Though I have just 2.0 now, I will be making it 5.1 over time.

I would appreciate if you let me know your thoughts on RX V779, Aventage 1040 and 2040.
Best Rgds

The Yamaha Aventage series is a higher grade than the other Yamaha RX amps. These are good but I have not heard them.
Other people said that the Yamaha is less bright than the Pioneer or Denon amps. I think I'll agree with that in the older RX X77 series. The Pioneer LX series with classD amps have very solid bass and powerful transients. I have heard them. Might be good to check them too. Also much lighter to carry !

Go for it, Just recently bought a yam rx-v 479 from Kobe for 258 usd. Got a. 0.5 kva step down trans and got going. No probs @mum airport.

Hello All,
I got denon x6200 rated 750W from US. Was planning to use all 11 channels with polk rti series. As it is 110 -120v unit , I am confused with stepdown xformer to go for. Vishal store in sp road bangalore is selling 2kva unit for 4500.
I also heard about maxine from this forum. Would like to know following:
1. Which is good. Vishal or Maxine?
2. Should i go with insulated one? where i can find one?
3. Should i connect a vguard stabilizer before connecting stepdown transformer to wall? ie wall > vguard stabilizer > stepdown > AVR.
4. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for quick reply.

Regards
anand

1. Which is good. Vishal or Maxine?
I use a Maxine and haven't had any problems since install about a year ago. Don't know about Vishal.
2. Should i go with insulated one? where i can find one?
I presume you mean isolation transformer as opposed to insulated. Opinion is divided on the forum. I now use an isolation transformer based Maxine, stepdown. I have however used a non-isolation stepdown (Raksha or something like that) for several years before that without a problem. Maxine used to sell on amazon.in and ebay.in. Here's Maxine's website SHAH ELECTRONICS.

3. Should i connect a vguard stabilizer before connecting stepdown transformer to wall? ie wall > vguard stabilizer > stepdown > AVR.
Again, mixed opinions on the forum. I think an online UPS or servo stabilizer would be better than a plain old voltage stabilizer in the chain. I just use an over-voltage cutoff (something like https://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-tvguard-voltage-stabilizer/p/itmdk6sftr3dbhh4) between the wall socket and the stepdown.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back