B&W MM-1 VS Bose MusicMonitor VS Audioengine AE5

techboy

I currently have Audioengine AE5.

I want to know how to do these two compare in terms of sound quality, oomph and clarity:

B&W MM-1
Bose Companion MusicMonitor

The main advantage would be very little desktop space and very compact and nice looking systems. But I don't want to screw up my sound quality of my current system because of that.

Thanks

Audioengene AE5, should stand out of all that you've mentioned. IMHO.
I personally heard B&W but not Audioengine, (except on the net) and seems that Audioengine has got some raving reviews... my friend is currently in Canada and I'm currently contemplating to get a pair of new AE5+ as they are cheap there... but warranty is an issue.

Heard all three, the other two (B&W MM1 and Bose) aren't even in the same park as the AE. The MM1 packs some really nifty features though which might be useful to a lot of people. It comes a distant second to the AE5 the Bose though can be safely ignored.

Consider AE5+ and also pair them with A8 subwoofer

The A5+ are nice indeed, I am not sure if one'd need a sub to go with them though. Personally not a fan of subs and the A5+ go low enough for most music genres. For a movie setup though the A8 could be a great timbre matched choice .

what is the pricing and where can I audition them in delhi? does any FM has it at his home/ office where I can listen to it?

I am quite sure the AE5 rock.... i own the AE2 connected with my comp, and what sound.... AE5 no doubt will be far superior and a definite winner...

We had heard the AE5+ at the mumbai vashi audio meet and frankly speaking they were seriously not worth the 25k+ price tag. The AE2 were decent for their price.
You could probably post the question on the vashi audio meet thread to get a wider perspective.

Ps: OP i just realised u already have the AE5. If you need sound improvement out of active speakers, you should probably look at the krk's or genelic

Last edited:
I would strongly urge you to look at Aktimate mini+.
When i looked around for a pair of speakers for desktop use, Aktimate was much better than AE, MM1 and Bose in terms of sound quality and also connectivity options.

Alliance4Digital, mumbai is the dealer for India and usually they do give a good discount.

in my opinion, if you do not need seperate speaker system.. go with JBL onbeat xtreme(around 18.5k) far better than audio engine a2 and some other same type models.. the bass is awesome

I would strongly urge you to look at Aktimate mini+.
When i looked around for a pair of speakers for desktop use, Aktimate was much better than AE, MM1 and Bose in terms of sound quality and also connectivity options.

Alliance4Digital, mumbai is the dealer for India and usually they do give a good discount.

ever compared it to earthquake iq52 ?

Heard lots of systems, I would rate them in this order:

Aktimate Mini+ >> Aktimate Micro >> Swan M200MKII >> Audioengine AE5

These are the ones I heard. Finally upgrading to AVI DM5 in December when it is available in India.

Based on my research, and to some extent my hearing (some of the models), by and large you can rate as :

Aktimate Mini+ (Rs.54000)
>
Aktimate Micro (Rs.45000 approx)
>
Swan T200b / H5 (Rs.40-42k) / M200MKIII (Rs.35k) ( I would probably prefer MKIII over other Swans but some people may prefer T200B ove Micro infact)
>
Cheapest Swan bookshelf (Rs.12-15k)
>
Audioengine AE5+ (Rs.30k)
>
Bose MusicMonitor (Not sure, around 20-30k i think)

B&W MM-1 (around 37-43k or so) is better than AE5+ in terms of clarity but has less power. It is probably comparable or slightly better than Swan in terms of clarity, not sure exactly, but it isn't in the same league overall as Aktimates or Emotivas or Adam Audio speakers.

Thank You

Aakshey

Didn't know that. MKIII has a much larger sound with more authority and bass than Micro which is 45k. MKIII is warmer as well. For its price, I dont think you can better it even with a passive setup, it is as good as it gets.

But for 45k Micro offers a sharper sound with better transients, though I have heard only MKII and read about MKIII, and also heard Micro.

Heard lots of systems, I would rate them in this order:

Aktimate Mini+ >> Aktimate Micro >> Swan M200MKII >> Audioengine AE5

These are the ones I heard. Finally upgrading to AVI DM5 in December when it is available in India.

Based on my research, and to some extent my hearing (some of the models), by and large you can rate as :

Aktimate Mini+ (Rs.54000)
>
Aktimate Micro (Rs.45000 approx)
>
Swan T200b / H5 (Rs.40-42k) / M200MKIII (Rs.35k) ( I would probably prefer MKIII over other Swans but some people may prefer T200B ove Micro infact)
>
Cheapest Swan bookshelf (Rs.12-15k)
>
Audioengine AE5+ (Rs.30k)
>
Bose MusicMonitor (Not sure, around 20-30k i think)

B&W MM-1 (around 37-43k or so) is better than AE5+ in terms of clarity but has less power. It is probably comparable or slightly better than Swan in terms of clarity, not sure exactly, but it isn't in the same league overall as Aktimates or Emotivas or Adam Audio speakers.

Thank You

Aakshey

I urge you to hear the IQUAKE52 to compare that to your best aktimate mini ,and get surprised, and share it to us all :clapping:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back