B&W (or equivalent) sound on a budget

greenhorn

I had the pleasure of owning a pair of entry level vintage B&W's (Vision DS3) for a year while abroad, and they've quite spoilt me with their high end & midrange performance ( better than any that I've ever had)

Unfortunately, I've had to leave them behind, and was wondering if there was something I could get which could give me a piece of that sound.

I'm using an NAD 3020 amp (the original), and honestly, it sounds a bit too laid back/dull. The gentleman I bought it from had a pair of celestion ditton 25's which, though a bit raw/honky, sounded pretty revealing.

While i would be happy to get speakers that make them sound livelier than the B&W , nothing that sounds harsh please.

My budget is 20K, and my current first stop is the pioneer SP-FS52 (though getting hold of one in chennai is turning out to be a bit of a challenge)

I bought the amp for 60 GBP, and the Pioneer TT for 45 GBP, so I'm not too keen to spend too much on a pair of speakers

Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

You should be able to get B&Ws Model DM 301 or DM 303 or 601 S2 or S3 and 602 S2 or S3 with in your budget. Out of this my choice would be 602 S3, may be for this speaker if it is in good condition it is worth spending couple of thousands more.

Goodluck

R. Balagopalan

Yes if you import it freight and duty is the killer cause 805D a 3.5 lakh pair and 602S2 20K pair the freight for both of them is the same.

I sold a pair of 602S3 in very good condition for 30K if my memory is right. It is better to watch out for a sale in India and go for the kill.

when you are abroad you have so much hyper deals like this : As a student abroad for my dorm I once picked up a b&w dm 560 for 20 bucks ;) it stayed with me in my dorm until I moved to an apartment ! I swear I had missed even better deals.

find out your local classifieds sites. in india, its olx and quikr. UK has gumtree, US has craigslist, canada has kijiji - not very familiar with the middle east - do your own research

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back