B&W speakers 804s

whilst searcing for a pair of floor standers I wouldlike to mak3ethe foll observations about buyingspeakers in mumbai=>>
1- they must be front ported. avoid rear ported as you have limited space from the wall and this could result in bass boom. with rear ported speqkers yourequire at least 2 feet distance from the rear wall which not many flats have the luxury of.
2- avoid side firing woofers forthe same reasons
3- floor standers are far better than stand mounts. rememberthat the stands will occupy the same space on the floor with their footprints. the luxury of a full cabinet gives better base responses. the cost of a decent pair of stands will cancel the saving of the stand mounts.remember the common midrange/woofer in a stand mount cannot rival a floor stander.
4-wooden timbre is wooden timbre-avoid aluminium cabinets
5-grills must be detachable for cleaning as well as removal. no grill is acoustically transparent and i prefer to listen with the grills off.
6- you must biwire if compatible--use the more expensuive cable for the woofers and the cheaper (same length) cable for the tweeter/midrange. an examlple is kimber kable 8TC/4TC
7-sit at the apex of a triangle formed buy your speakers and you for the ideal sweet spot.
8- invest more money in a good pair of floor standers and avoid the centre channel/sub woofer/rears if you mainly listen to audiomusic. remember over 90% of the sound comes from the front pairs - this avoids ugly wiring and other costs!!!!
shall be bck with other observations soon
am dekighted with my B & W 804 s speakers--want to listen????/

Thanks for your observations. This will surely help newcomers like me to decide on which speakers to go for.

I would also appreciate if you could post your views on the other speakers that you may have considered before you made your decision with the 804's.

Thanks

Thanks for your observations. This will surely help newcomers like me to decide on which speakers to go for.

I would also appreciate if you could post your views on the other speakers that you may have considered before you made your decision with the 804's.

Thanks

dali ikon 6- rs 75,000 and best speaker of the year. ribbon tweeter and front ported. however vinyl finish& 6OHMS IMPEDENCE. flimsy grill.square box-no curved cabinets. sound superb. i suggest you attend the av max exhibitions all over india--mumbai 28th oct 2006. however 1 yr warranty only. spend more on two floor standers and avoid the 5.1 configuration-believe me. also buy a dedicated two channel hifi amp -t will beat the pants out of any 5.1 amp in sound . i can be contacted on mumbai mobile 98200 35734 --goodluck
dr chichgar

The other floorstanders which are front ported and easy to drive are:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Speakers

Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3

Focal-JMlab Chorus 714s

Has anyone heard these speakers? If you have can you post your review of the same.

The other floorstanders which are front ported and easy to drive are:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Speakers

Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3

Focal-JMlab Chorus 714s

Has anyone heard these speakers? If you have can you post your review of the same.

mohan- hi
i havent heard the monitor audio silvers RS6 but inspected them at the av max exhibition in mumbai-- rather "HALKA" if i may say so- 6 ohms reasonable price at rs 65,000 and goode reviews especially as 5.1 system

Hi Doctor Chichgar

It was nice reading your observations.

What does the rest of your system comprise of? What are your listening tastes?

Regards

Adil

Dear Dr. Chichgar - one small clarification for the warranty on the speakers - all DALI speakers come with a 5 year warranty.

dali ikon 6- rs 75,000 and best speaker of the year. ribbon tweeter and front ported. however vinyl finish& 6OHMS IMPEDENCE. flimsy grill.square box-no curved cabinets. sound superb. i suggest you attend the av max exhibitions all over india--mumbai 28th oct 2006. however 1 yr warranty only. spend more on two floor standers and avoid the 5.1 configuration-believe me. also buy a dedicated two channel hifi amp -t will beat the pants out of any 5.1 amp in sound . i can be contacted on mumbai mobile 98200 35734 --goodluck
dr chichgar

We hope to see you around soon sir.

Regards,

The Soundsmiths

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back