Back in the US,Back in the US,Back in the USSR

GeorgeO

Hi Folks

Greetings from NYC, off to Montreal tomorrow for the Canadian GP

I ordered a few CDs of artistes whom I had earlier recommended-Candy Dulfer, Pamela Williams and Larry Goldings. Must check on Inger Marie Gunderson.

I am considering upgrading my AV receiver and while separates are an option(costlier), I am looking at one of the Onkyo AV receivers-600/700/800 or Marantz 4000/5000 series.Being mostly a 2.1 audio guy for HT use only, I have both a projector as well as an LCD. I really dont want to invest mega bucks on a fancy HT pro+pro combo since my use will not be very heavy duty.

If separates, I would only consider either an Emotiva or Integra pre with a diy Hypex 400 watts UcD module in a 5 channel version. The total cost would be about $2000+, which would then mean I need a better projector and a screen and a butt kicker and, and..

Any recommendations/thought from any of you wise grey beards out there?

TIA

George

For AVR duty, I would look at the Onkyo any day over the Marantz.

If you are flying in through Singapore, that would be a better place to pick up a receiver. In the Us you have to work around the stupid 110 volt concept.

Cheers

Hey George,

Lucky you! Enjoy the Canadian Quali & Race.... Hope the race will be as exciting as the Turkish GP....

Enjoy it LIVE!!!

Cheers

Hi Folks

I ordered a few CDs of artistes whom I had earlier recommended-Candy Dulfer, Pamela Williams and Larry Goldings. Must check on Inger Marie Gunderson.

I am considering upgrading my AV receiver and while separates are an option(costlier), I am looking at one of the Onkyo AV receivers-600/700/800 or Marantz 4000/5000 series.Being mostly a 2.1 audio guy for HT use only, I have both a projector as well as an LCD. I really dont want to invest mega bucks on a fancy HT pro+pro combo since my use will not be very heavy duty.

If separates, I would only consider either an Emotiva or Integra pre with a diy Hypex 400 watts UcD module in a 5 channel version. The total cost would be about $2000+, which would then mean I need a better projector and a screen and a butt kicker and, and..

TIA

George

If you are more into music than HT, then why don't go with a good receiver and save some bucks for the acoustic tiles. I hear a lot of good things about the current line up of Denon receivers. May you could give it a listen. I would personally look for refurbished/demo items too if you don't mind slightly used items.
I am also thinking of discarding my more than a decade old pre-power HT combo in favor of a receiver (after I finish the acoustic treatment in my HT room). So, any feedback from your listening sessions of these amps would be useful. Anyway, have a good trip.

USSR?? that doesn't exist . I am sure you are enjoying your time.....it was my dream to be at a GP.....Happy shopping Sir.

Venkat

New AV system on the mind and F1 live! Niravana!

Hi Folks

TIA

George

I have a Onkyo 706 bought in India and I have recently check the same model in US with my friend. It runs a lot lot cooler. The one I bought runs very very hot. I thought it should be the other way because of higher current draw on 110V as compared to 220V.

I agree, the 110V piece is a bit of mess, but things are way cheaper there.

Cheers.

Hi Folks

TIA

George

Hi George. Nice to hear that you are having a blast.:clapping:

You must seriously consider the Class D Audio amp. It is really good and a lot cheaper than Hypex.

Thanks Guys

Yes indeed,Montreal was a blast. The F1, the unique French-Canadian ambience of the city, the outstanding Montreal Metro, as well as the open air cafes with a great choice of cuisine. Beautiful city, and the we stayed at the Marriott which is located directly above the departure lounge at the P-E Trudeau airport terminal-an amazing location.

Got back this evening to find that two CDs ordered had already reached-Saxtress -Pamela Williams and Quartet-Larry Goldings. Inger Marie Gundersen's CD is priced way too high on Amazon, so I'm giving her a pass.

Tomorrow and the day after has two legendary artistes perform live concerts at Madison Square Gardens, so without any furthur ado, my wife and I bought tickets for tomorrow-James Taylor & Carol King.Too good to pass up listening to Carol singing her classic numbers( which I grew up listening to in college) like Natural Woman, I Feel the Earth Move, You've Got A Friend.

Cheers

George

Tomorrow and the day after has two legendary artistes perform live concerts at Madison Square Gardens, so without any furthur ado, my wife and I bought tickets for tomorrow-James Taylor & Carol King.Too good to pass up listening to Carol singing her classic numbers( which I grew up listening to in college) like Natural Woman, I Feel the Earth Move, You've Got A Friend.

Cheers

George

Hello George - Good coincidence - I am vacationing in the New York/New Jersey area too and I am spending my time golfing and visiting friends and hifi shops. Other day I was at Sound by Singer near Union Square listening to Krell Cast components.
I am in Manhattan practically everday - Grab a coffee at the Borders by Madison Square Gardens most of the time.
Cheers
Sid

Hi Sid

Tonights' concert at MSG was awesome..Seeing Carole King live was well worth every penny we spent-she is a real show woman, and had the crowd eating out of her hand.Oustanding numbers and a great performance in front of a near sellout crowd many of whom sang along with her when she pointed the mike at them.

Hi Sid

Tonights' concert at MSG was awesome..Seeing Carole King live was well worth every penny we spent-she is a real show woman, and had the crowd eating out of her hand.Oustanding numbers and a great performance in front of a near sellout crowd many of whom sang along with her when she pointed the mike at them.

Great to here that. When I was at Borders I saw that the concert was sold out so evidently it was a fantastic performance.
Cheers
Sid

Sidvee
at NY, do check out the house band at Cafe Wah - they are simply outstanding.

cheers

Sidvee
at NY, do check out the house band at Cafe Wah - they are simply outstanding.

cheers

Will do Sridhar- Also planning to catch some Jazz performances as well at the Village Vanguard and the Columbus Ctr.
Cheers
Sid

Back