Epson for my 9*9 Bedroom setup - Square cutout in the back wall - Suggestion needed

Shrinivas

Dear All,

I have been following this forum for a while and can say that I have gained valuable knowledge. I am really thankful for the member who helps people like us who wish to have home theater experience but lack some knowledge.

My initial plan was to go for LED based projector but after reading this forum and going thru the feedbacks and considering my budget, I have almost finalized to purchase the Epson TW550 720p - 3D projector. This is for my bedroom setup. I have got Yamaha 196 home theater setup (indeed with help of this forum) hence audio vice I am ready.

Regarding projector, I have couple of question and need your expertise guidance to finalize the same.

Usage details:
Night time movie watching during weekends approx. 7 hours of usage per week.
90% time movies BR / HD DVD download rips. Remaining games / cricket final match thru Tata sky HD.

Queries...

1. My Bed Room size is 9*9 . Exact wall to wall distance is 9 feet 3 inches. Considering projector depth as 1 feet and remaining 3 feet for the cables behind the projector panel, I will be getting distance of 8 feet from the projector lens to the screen. From calculation the screen size is coming approx. 84 inches. Question is will this be good size to be viewed from a distance of 9 feet? i.e will we get real home theater experience to feel that we are immersed in the scene with life like image? I saw couple of videos in youtube and found that we there will be black bars in top and bottom of the projected image (16:9) which means the effective diagonal will be less than 88 inches. i.e diagonal distance of only projected image excluding the top and bottom black bars. In this case will this be good size to be viewed from 9 feet distance?

2. Technically what should be actual screen size to be viewed from 9 feet to get home theater experience? Somewhere on the internet I read that, to increase the projection distance we can have square cutout in the back wall and mount the projector in the other room and project thru the square cutout. In my case, I can think of cutting square hole between the bedroom and living room wall and have the projector mounted in the living room. In this case I can get projection distance of around 10 to 11 feet. With this the screen size will be around 100 inches. (The effective size excluding the black bars will be less than 100 inches). Will this be good idea? (Say the square cutout size is appox 3 inches extra from length and height of projector dimension) I dont think there will be issue using the remote even if the projector is mounted in different room as I understand that we point towards the screen and the remote signal reflection is received by the projector sensor. As I have made my mind set for the Epson brand I dont want to go for short throw projectors. I dont think we have any model in the home theater series in the Epson which is short throw.

3. TW550 is 3000 lumen's, my concerns is will it be too bright for this small room? Wall color is off-white and ceiling color is white. Room has one window for which we have put blackout curtain of golden color. What will be the actual lumen during watching movies.

4. Curiosity question When it will come to maintenance will cost of bulb used in TW550 will be less than the higher end model say TW6100 / TW8100?

5. Whats the approx. filter cost for 3LCD projector and frequency required for changing it?

6. Gurus would you like to suggest some other model in the Epson series if I can extend my budget. 3D is must. Max budget in this case say max 1 lac.

7. Any preferred authorized dealer in Pune?

Re: Epson for my 9*9 Bedroom setup - Square cutout in the back wall - Suggestion need

I am no expert in this but I think though 84" is fairly a large size for a good HT experience, a 100" could be more engulfing and could give a better impact at 9 feet.

Making hole is not a bad idea (ensure you don't drill into the load bearing beams of your house).
You don't have to cut a hole for entire projector dimensions. If you carefully plan, you just need to drill a hole enough for the projection beam to pass through.

I made a sketch for you. It looks like a big hole from the side but I hope it will be smaller. Especially in front cross section, it will be much narrower than the projector's width as marked in red in second pic. Hope I make sense here.

Regarding the remote, well, assuming it doesn't work, you could take some pain and set it up initially, later you need remote only to turn it off, I guess.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 101
  • wall2.jpg
    wall2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 101
Re: Epson for my 9*9 Bedroom setup - Square cutout in the back wall - Suggestion need

Hi Santy,

Hmm...got your point. Thanks for swift detailed reply.. appreciated!! .... Yup makes sense to cut out only portion to beam the light. But as its 3D projector with RF will there be issue if the projector is in another room. Really not sure as how the RF 3D for the TW550 works if the projector is in another room.:sad:

Regards,
Shrinivas D

I am not very sure about 3D link. RF should travel through walls (more through the hole) according to me, unlike DLP link. You could try it out.

Regarding brightness, it cannot be an issue. You can always reduce the brightness or the luminescence of the lamp (power saver setting?).

Are you not going to get a proper screen? If you are projecting on an off-white wall, then you can set white balance on the PJ to 'Cold' to compensate for the warm color of the wall.

Yes, I am planning to use screen, but not sure as which one to OPT in this particular case... I am looking for non-motorized screen... any suggestions please in this case?

Reg. RF can someone confirm if they any idea as how RF would work in my planned setup...

Regards,
Shrinivas D

The viewing distance should be at least 14 feet If you are planning to project 100" screen to avoid seeing the pixels.. Especially since you are planning 720p projector.... The cost of epson eh tw 550 lamp is around 12k...

And regarding screens liberty grand view has got some good reviews by forum members...

The viewing distance should be at least 14 feet If you are planning to project 100" screen to avoid seeing the pixels.. Especially since you are planning 720p projector.... The cost of epson eh tw 550 lamp is around 12k...

Thanks Jidhin, In that case, lets say if I rethink about 1080P Full HD projector, then will still it be issue of pixels for 100 Inch screen from 9 feet? or in other words whats the best screen size I should aim for? please note I want to exclude the black bars on top and bottom of the projected image while calculating the diagonal size.
Also, will zoom function help to reduce the diagonal image size to some extent without actually changing the distance between screen and the projector?

I am no expert in this but I think though 84" is fairly a large size for a good HT experience, a 100" could be more engulfing and could give a better impact at 9 feet.

Making hole is not a bad idea (ensure you don't drill into the load bearing beams of your house).
You don't have to cut a hole for entire projector dimensions. If you carefully plan, you just need to drill a hole enough for the projection beam to pass through.

I made a sketch for you. It looks like a big hole from the side but I hope it will be smaller. Especially in front cross section, it will be much narrower than the projector's width as marked in red in second pic. Hope I make sense here.

Regarding the remote, well, assuming it doesn't work, you could take some pain and set it up initially, later you need remote only to turn it off, I guess.

Dear all,

Please see the attachments and let me know if we have ceiling mount option available as shown in pic. Have reused pic prepared by Santy !

As we have tube light interfering if I use to project from my living room to guest bedroom, I am planning to use either wooden shelf or use ceiling mount as shown in figure. Would like to know if its possible to keep the projector on wooden shelf without heating issue? or if such bent ceiling mount available in market? If I use wooden shelf then will the projector kept upside down on the shelf ?

Also, do we have screen mount as shown in the figure available in markets so that there is small gap from wall so as to mount led tv on the wall and used when not using the projector? I am referring to non-motorized screens

Attachments

• Wooden shelf support.jpg
    Wooden shelf support.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Ceiling Mount below tube light.jpg
    Ceiling Mount below tube light.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Wall mounted LED TV behind projector screen..jpg
    Wall mounted LED TV behind projector screen..jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 78

Hi Shrinivas

Why do you need a bent mount? You can use conventional ceiling mount I suppose. Why tubelight should bother? The rod will be in front of it. If you are concerned about the shadow cast by the mount, it is better to shift the light to somewhere else.

Rack is also fine but keep this in mind that you will be placing the PJ upside down so any curvature on top of projector could make it difficult to place it. It will cast a bigger shadow though.

Hi Shrinivas

Why do you need a bent mount? You can use conventional ceiling mount I suppose. Why tubelight should bother? The rod will be in front of it. If you are concerned about the shadow cast by the mount, it is better to shift the light to somewhere else.

Rack is also fine but keep this in mind that you will be placing the PJ upside down so any curvature on top of projector could make it difficult to place it. It will cast a bigger shadow though.

Yes Santy, as it was my living room, I wanted to avoid ceiling rod right in front of tubelight... from looks perspective.
I will now need to rethink..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back