In search of Fixed Frame Projector screen.

gillieee

I have a well controlled dark room for my Home Theatre. Its pitch dark even at noon. So, that gives you good idea for suggesting me the best screen type I want. I use Benq DLP projector, with 3000 lumens.
  1. I am aware of the types of screen available, but no clue how well it will perform in real. I am from Chennai, India, do anyone know where I can have a demo in all types of screens??
  2. I am stuck with Amazon so far, for getting a fixed frame and I gone through some products. I am sharing their links here Gray Screen, High Contrast ALR.
  3. I really want to know what is the difference between Gray and ALR. I am using an ALR currently, which is a cheaper one. For my dark room, will the Gray be as vibrant as my ALR performing or I should stick with ALR itself?
  4. ALR needs 30 deg viewing angle, which is not met in my room currently, that is the reason I am looking for an alternative to ALR. Which also perform nearly close to ALR and also satisfy my viewing angle, along with deep contrast.
  5. I know I am giving lot many challenges here, I don't want a white screen, I am not fond of it. But what is Cinematic White screen, how is the contrast ratio in it?

What is your planned screen size?
How are you planning speaker placement? Do you already have the speakers?
Would you like to have the front LCR hidden behind the screen?
That is what I have done in my dedicated room with bookshelf fronts (Dali Zensor 3).
For that you need an acoustically transparent material mounted on a wood or metal frame.
Spandex from an Indian source or Carl's from USA.

That is what I have done in my dedicated room with bookshelf fronts (Dali Zensor 3).
For that you need an acoustically transparent material mounted on a wood or metal frame.
I have a well controlled dark room for my Home Theatre. Its pitch dark even at noon. So, that gives you good idea for suggesting me the best screen type I want. I use Benq DLP projector, with 3000 lumens.
  1. I am aware of the types of screen available, but no clue how well it will perform in real. I am from Chennai, India, do anyone know where I can have a demo in all types of screens??
  2. I am stuck with Amazon so far, for getting a fixed frame and I gone through some products. I am sharing their links here Gray Screen, High Contrast ALR.
  3. I really want to know what is the difference between Gray and ALR. I am using an ALR currently, which is a cheaper one. For my dark room, will the Gray be as vibrant as my ALR performing or I should stick with ALR itself?
  4. ALR needs 30 deg viewing angle, which is not met in my room currently, that is the reason I am looking for an alternative to ALR. Which also perform nearly close to ALR and also satisfy my viewing angle, along with deep contrast.
  5. I know I am giving lot many challenges here, I don't want a white screen, I am not fond of it. But what is Cinematic White screen, how is the contrast ratio in it?
Hi,

as gillie mentioned there are acoustic transparent screen and
for dark room ALR not required.
Fixed frame screens are better for its uniformity look.
i ll suggest ELITE SCREENS and since u r from chennai i guess ELITE SCREEN India dealer is based on coimbatore.
Will share the contact if required

Hi,

as gillie mentioned there are acoustic transparent screen and
for dark room ALR not required.
Fixed frame screens are better for its uniformity look.
i ll suggest ELITE SCREENS and since u r from chennai i guess ELITE SCREEN India dealer is based on coimbatore.
Will share the contact if required
Please share me.
1. 120”
2. Speakers are already placed infront of the screen, that’s the reason I am looking for fixed frame.

Anyone can give an in-depth comparison of Grey screen and ALR screen? That would be much appreciated. If you say, Grey screen can provide ALR level performance in dark room, then that would be my choice.

I know ALR is for day light visibility, will the Grey screen provide that level of contrast in dark room?

Anyone can give an in-depth comparison of Grey screen and ALR screen? That would be much appreciated. If you say, Grey screen can provide ALR level performance in dark room, then that would be my choice.

I know ALR is for day light visibility, will the Grey screen provide that level of contrast in dark room?
i strongly suggest u to take demo from anywhere possible

Grey screen reduce light reflections from room and reduce black floor just by being grey. Simple.
Real ALR screens for long throw projectors are like concave mirrors that reflect more light towards the center so that viewer sitting at a distance receives a brighter image. They are very expensive. Viewer needs to be at a good distance for this to not look weird.
ALR for UST projectors are like an angled mirror that only reflect light coming from UST projector and reject reflections from room.
Then there are normal screen with increased reflectivity like 1.2 or 1.5 gain (which I think is what your Amazon link for "ALR screen" really is)

So you see, they serve different purpose and hence there is no "right choice" for you. None of these solutions "increase" contrast ratio (Grey screen lower whites too hence CR remains same).
Best (and perhaps cheapest) thing to do is make room black through paint/curtains/carpet and use a normal matte white screen (1.0 gain)

Grey screen reduce light reflections from room and reduce black floor just by being grey. Simple.
Real ALR screens for long throw projectors are like concave mirrors that reflect more light towards the center so that viewer sitting at a distance receives a brighter image. They are very expensive. Viewer needs to be at a good distance for this to not look weird.
ALR for UST projectors are like an angled mirror that only reflect light coming from UST projector and reject reflections from room.
Then there are normal screen with increased reflectivity like 1.2 or 1.5 gain (which I think is what your Amazon link for "ALR screen" really is)

So you see, they serve different purpose and hence there is no "right choice" for you. None of these solutions "increase" contrast ratio (Grey screen lower whites too hence CR remains same).
Best (and perhaps cheapest) thing to do is make room black through paint/curtains/carpet and use a normal matte white screen (1.0 gain)
Like I said, my room is pitch dark at a bright noon too. I am using ALR (cheap from Aliexpress). Matte White I have used before ALR. The only issue with my ALR being the viewing angle. My projector is in ceiling, I even tried raising my floor, still the clarity is weak due to VA.

Grey is another White screen, which spoils black color, is that your point? In that case I would go for ALR itself for fixed frame.

I've used Chinese knock-off ALR and Matte White and took a demo of a real ALR screen. Currently, using this BigVue with an Epson 1080P projector. In my opinion, Chinese ALR is just silvery grey with micro ridges that reflects the picture to the centre and ruin the contrast heavily. I tried to compare both matte White and Chinese ALR side by side and found the white to be much better PQ, so using that now.

At the same time, the real ALR from Elite or other such premium brands is day-and-night difference from these two, but only when used with a UST projector. Traditional projectors that mount on ceilings do not benefit much compared to the UST when using ALR. So, I suggest take a demo of the screen with the type of projector you have. If you find that the PQ is not improved much between White and ALR, then stick with Fixed Frame Matte White. Personally, I will upgrade to ALR screen only when I upgrade my projector to UST 4K one.

Like I said, my room is pitch dark at a bright noon too. I am using ALR (cheap from Aliexpress). Matte White I have used before ALR. The only issue with my ALR being the viewing angle. My projector is in ceiling, I even tried raising my floor, still the clarity is weak due to VA.

Grey is another White screen, which spoils black color, is that your point? In that case I would go for ALR itself for fixed frame.
I guess you will use Benq LED projector which is super bright, one of the Chennai forum member have it and projected in 100 inch elite Aeon Cinewhite, I could not complain on the black color even in Cinewhite. However, as you said Grey screens will enhance the brightness and contrast level. There are many are in Chennai you can visit and demo. Cheers. happy to help.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back