Basic question about a turntable

ontherocks

If I want to get audio output directly from the three stereo wires that come right out of the tone arm, what kind of amplifier should I connect the wires to? Is it a "phono" amplifier or a AVR that has "phono" inputs?

Ok, so I do need a phono amplifier.

Since my TT (Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932) is quite old and without any references anywhere how do I figure out whether it has moving coil cartridge or not?

My Onkyo receiver has the following mentioned about the TV/CD IN audio inputs in its manual. What does it mean in layman terms? What would I need in addition to phono amplifier (if any) to get audio through my receiver?

clipboard01xmo.png

Ok, so I do need a phono amplifier.

Since my TT (Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932) is quite old and without any references anywhere how do I figure out whether it has moving coil cartridge or not?

My Onkyo receiver has the following mentioned about the TV/CD IN audio inputs in its manual. What does it mean in layman terms? What would I need in addition to phono amplifier (if any) to get audio through my receiver?

clipboard01xmo.png
Your receiver accepts line level input.

In any case, moving coil or moving magnet cartridge, adding proper matching phono pre-amp will be required unless TT does not have inbuilt phono pre-amp stage. Phono pre-amp will be required to adjust RIAA equalization and amplify it to line level input of amplifiers. Your TT (Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932) seems to have inbuilt amplifier, so must be having phono pre-amp stage.

Phono pre-amp will be required to adjust RIAA equalization and amplify it to line level input of amplifiers. Your TT (Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932) seems to have inbuilt amplifier, so must be having phono pre-amp stage.
Yes, Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932 indeed has a separate pre-amplifier stage and an amplifier stage. Is the output from the pre-amplifier stage equivalent to line-level? In other words, can I connect the audio out from the pre-amplifier stage to the receiver?

Yes, Philips HQ International, Stereo System 932 indeed has a separate pre-amplifier stage and an amplifier stage. Is the output from the pre-amplifier stage equivalent to line-level? In other words, can I connect the audio out from the pre-amplifier stage to the receiver?

It has a ceramic cartridge and inbuilt amplifier.You can connect it directly to any line level input.

Regards,

Sachin

ontherocks
if you are connecting to line level input from speaker out, make sure to turn the volume to zero then slowly increase it. To take pre out (which I think is the right way) you will need to take out put from DIN socket from back of the TT which will require DIN pin.

It has a ceramic cartridge and inbuilt amplifier.You can connect it directly to any line level input.

ontherocks
if you are connecting to line level input from speaker out, make sure to turn the volume to zero then slowly increase it. To take pre out (which I think is the right way) you will need to take out put from DIN socket from back of the TT which will require DIN pin.

I want to bypass the TT amplifier and use the AVR amplifier instead for reasons below
1. Its a very basic amplifier
2. One channel is dead, trying to avoid repairs if possible

I want to bypass the TT amplifier and use the AVR amplifier instead for reasons below
Taking pre out from socket is only option. Or if you can manage it you can take output directly from tonearm wires (Ceramic Cartridge).

Get you TT at my place. sent PM to you. See what we can do the best.

Taking pre out from socket is only option.
You mean the output from from DIN socket?
Or if you can manage it you can take output directly from tonearm wires (Ceramic Cartridge).
But then I guess I will have to purchase a phono amplifier and connect as follows. Correct me if I am wrong.
Cartridge/Tone arm ---> Phono Amplifier ---> AVR

If it has a Ceramic cartridge you can directly connect to any line level input.Don't except good performance with this TT as it only supports Ceramic cart.You don't need a phono preamp for this.You can buy good used tt which support MM/MC cart.

Regards,

Sachin

No need to buy phono preamplifier. If there is good ceramic cartridge in there it produces almost enough out put so as to be easily connected to line level input.

+1 to sachu888
If you want to hear 'good' vinyl sound there is no alternative to proper magnetic cartridge with good turntable and phono preamp.
Regards

If it has a Ceramic cartridge you can directly connect to any line level input.Don't except good performance with this TT as it only supports Ceramic cart.You don't need a phono preamp for this.You can buy good used tt which support MM/MC cart.

No need to buy phono preamplifier. If there is good ceramic cartridge in there it produces almost enough out put so as to be easily connected to line level input.

Thanks a lot. Will try it today itself. Will the audio quality increase if I connect the output from the pre-amplifier to AVR?
I understand that TT's need RIAA equalization on the signals obtained from the cartridge. Does the pre amplifier in this particular TT do that? Or is it applicable only to MC cartridges?

+1 to sachu888
If you want to hear 'good' vinyl sound there is no alternative to proper magnetic cartridge with good turntable and phono preamp.
Regards
I am all behind this particular TT because it has a sentimental value.

Oh! Sorry Should have read the entire thread.
Yes if you can read the circuit and know how to bypass the amp you can do it.
If I want to get audio output directly from the three stereo wires that come right out of the tone arm, what kind of amplifier should I connect the wires to? Is it a "phono" amplifier or a AVR that has "phono" inputs?
Will the audio quality increase if I connect the output from the pre-amplifier to AVR?
I understand that TT's need RIAA equalization on the signals obtained from the cartridge. Does the pre amplifier in this particular TT do that? Or is it applicable only to MC cartridges?
Yes then you will need a phono peramplifier. from ebay you can try cheap RIAA phono preamp.
I can't read the circuits. but yes you can use TTs preamp section also. Replacing Capacitors would also help. I think this particular TT has lots of them.
I am all behind this particular TT because it has a sentimental value.
Yes :) I understand. Otherwise why would I have kept my granddad's pioneer TT.
Enjoy.
Regards

Yes if you can read the circuit and know how to bypass the amp you can do it.
This TT has the pre-amplifier and the amplifier in separate PCBs. Hence very easy to take output either from the pre amplifier or the amplifier.
Yes then you will need a phono peramplifier. from ebay you can try cheap RIAA phono preamp.
I can't read the circuits. but yes you can use TTs preamp section also. Replacing Capacitors would also help. I think this particular TT has lots of them.
So the pre-amplifier in this TT is equivalent to a phono amplifier?

You need three stages of amplification for a TT. Those three stages are Phono, pre-amp, and then amp. This combo can be done in 1, 2, or 3 boxes. You can find integrated amps that have all three stages. These were common in the 70's and 80's and were all in one AM/FM Receivers. If you are looking to be cost effective you can probably find these used. But quality may not be high. Some new integrated amps or AVR have phono stages but it is rare.

In the high-end world in the 70's 80's and 90's you could get the phono and pre-amp stages in one box and then have a separate amp. There are still some on the market but these days it is common to have 3 separate boxes (phone, pre-amp, amp). There are a couple of phono stages that have volume controls and provide enough output to drive an amp directly. But you are then limited to having no other inputs. The two I know are the PS Audio GCPH and the Manley Steelhead (which allows one additional input).

I am not familiar with ceramic cartridges, but the common ones that require a phono stage are moving magnet (higher in output) and moving coil (lower output). MC cartridges typically sound better but the phono stages are more expensive.

If you have an AVR that has phono inputs check if it will handle a MC cartridge.

Now, there should be 4 wires coming out of a cartridge so check what you outputs are from the TT. The RIAA eq is done in the phono stage.

Thanks a lot. Sent you a PM.

That TT had diagnosed one small transistor (BC147 or like) open in low level amp stage. We took output wires from the volume control. Seems working nicely though less volume. Any headphone amp will do required line level amplification. If transistor replaced then both channel of inbuilt amp should work.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back