Basic Start to Projector World

maxms

So, frustration kicked in few days back due to not able to finalize my HT speakers, confusion, and in-decisiveness ,needed to have something to keep myself busy, clear mind and take a break for a bit. Result was getting a projector.
Though it was a impulse buy, a projector was always in plan in fact initially a cheap LCD Projector was very first thing i thought off to get for my HT but later dropped plan for cheap LCD projector and changed plan to get a proper projector from Benq , Epson etc at later stage, once speaker, AV receiver and TV have been upgraded.

Coming back to couple weeks back when frustration was at peak, again started seeing projectors.
Now primary issue was I had no prior experience with projectors neither anyone in my circle have or had used any. Was not sure how and if and how to set it up, what should be proper screen size or if able to make it work in normal living room setup or whether it will be able to provide a decent experience. So again, went back to getting a cheap projector so as even if it does not work out would not spend unnecessary money.
Was planning to get Egate entry level model but then came across vivibright C80 which was having higher resolution and brightness for a little extra. Did not spent much efforts this time around as expectation were anyway less and ended up getting this.
Also got a 92-inch map type projector screen as wall I was planning to use it on was dark green in color.

Initial impression -
It is very lightweight and small in size than expected also initially images were washed out and blurry, so first impressions were okish.
Played around with settings and positioning and now getting much better results. Using in living room with thick curtains but still not fully dark. Keeping brightness to 35-40, Contrast to 55-60 and color 50-60. Have observed that if light does not directly hit on screen ,can get decent quality. For 92-inch screen have to keep it at around 10ft from screen. Recommended distance is 6 ft at which it gives around 55-60-inch screen size.
It does have couple of issues though center of screen is fine, but edges are blurry especially in screen size more than 55-60 inches. Have to keep it parallel to screen so as use minimum keystone correction. Using keystone correction degrades quality. With bigger screen size pixels are visible from near but if viewing distance is more than its still ok.

Verdict-
Happy to have got this projector. Watching movies on big screen definitely gives different experience..Animation movies definitely looks better then other contents , infact these are the one most played.Kids are very happy with big TV :)
Also, it helped me to get hands-on on setup, issues, limitations and to read into different specifications and what they mean. Loaded with this knowledge and real world experience help to make a more informed decision whenever planning to upgrade to a better one.

Some images :

On Screen in Dark room
On Screen in Dark.jpg

With Lights
on Screen in Light.jpg

Projecting on light bluish wall-image size around 130-140 inch
On Wall -120 inch.jpg

On Wall -120 inch (2).jpg

Picture looks good , plan to put up proj screen , you picture will look better..!
Thanks. Have already taken 92 inch (7x4) map type projector screen. Pictures do look better on it.
Projecting on wall is for more for quick setup and convenience especially when kids need to watch something. With Projector screen, currently I have to remove TV to hang screen on wall which is a task considering plasma TV's are heavy.
Planning to get some L brackets on wall so as can quickly hang/un-hang screen without removing TV.

Happy to have got this projector. Watching movies on big screen definitely gives different experience..

That is what matters..

Also, it helped me to get hands-on on setup, issues, limitations and to read into different specifications and what they mean. Loaded with this knowledge and real world experience help to make a more informed decision whenever planning to upgrade to a better one.

You can read n # of articles.. Nothing beats hands-on experience.. You now know, what to look for in the next upgrade.. I too did the same :) ..

You can read n # of articles.. Nothing beats hands-on experience.. You now know, what to look for in the next upgrade.. I too did the same :) ..
Yes very correct. When was checking earlier was just looking for brightness, contrast and resolution. Now aware of other features to look for like Throw Ratio, Keystone, Offset, lens shift , zoom etc and their important role they play especially in my specific requirement.
These will be very helpful whenever planning to upgrade to a better model.

Apart from focus,the major problem I see with cheap projectors are their inability to produce vibrant,warm colors.
Yes that is the case. Though what i observed , these still perform ok and acceptable in bright scenes and animation movies. Dark scenes are where these limitations are more apparent.

Don't know how much of an upgrade this Xgimi H2 is,over other ones like Egate,Aun and so on and so forth...
In simple terms A full HD movie looks like a CAM version of it on these projectors.
The thread is for Xgimi H2 but a detailed review is still on the line,I suppose.The proud owners here must enlighten us on the pros and cons of this set.Was just contemplating ordering for it today as India stock is still available, couldn't order for the fear it might be just another Egate.

Don't know how much of an upgrade this Xgimi H2 is,over other ones like Egate,Aun and so on and so forth...

The inexpensive projectors are LCD screen powered by a singe white LED as light source, which are often not bright enough as the mainstream projector..

Xgimi H1/H2 is a DLP- induvidual RGB LED powered source and is significantly brighter than the above inexpensive projectors.. Xgimi is a mainstream projector.. Have been using Xgimi H1 for he last two years and before that E-gate P531.. Been using the Xgimi H1 projector just like a TV, for abt 6 hrs of usage everyday for the last 2 yrs and it serves me well..

The inexpensive projectors are LCD screen powered by a singe white LED as light source, which are often not bright enough as the mainstream projector..

Xgimi H1/H2 is a DLP- induvidual RGB LED powered source and is significantly brighter than the above inexpensive projectors.. Xgimi is a mainstream projector.. Have been using Xgimi H1 for he last two years and before that E-gate P531.. Been using the Xgimi H1 projector just like a TV, for abt 6 hrs of usage everyday for the last 2 yrs and it serves me well..
Thanks for the input.You have got both the Egate as well as the Xgimi.Why don't you spare some of ur precious time and enlighten us a bit by making a side by side comparison of the two.Just a basic one..

Thanks for the input.You have got both the Egate as well as the Xgimi.Why don't you spare some of ur precious time and enlighten us a bit by making a side by side comparison of the two.Just a basic one..

I don't have the E-gate with me now to do a side by side comparison.. But Xgimi H1 is a significantly brighter projector, I have been using it in a living room with lights (16 Watts LED) in the room and still can squeeze decent picture quality, without images being washed-out..
UFwgt2W.jpg

Picture quality on the fabric screen improved considerably with LED lights in the room, when i covered my whole glossy living room floor with a black mat / carpet as my screen was more closer to glossy floor..

I believe other than brightness a mainstream projector like Xgimi would be better on PQ/Contrast/Colors/resolution especially with light in the room.
In addition features like more keystone correction ,zoom, offset, Audio Quality, software updates (for Android projectors).
For e.g on of the main issue i am facing is that i have to keep projector at almost 4-5 ft height (my screen is at approx 2.5 ft height from floor) as there is no offset and also using more keystone correction effects focus.
I am using tripod to mount the projector but this causes tripod to be in front of my sofa and blocks the view if sitting behind the projector/tripod combo.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back