Bass Reflex plan recommendations for philips full range drivers.

biyer

Hi,

I am planning to construct a bass reflex enclosure for a pair of philips 8" full range driver. Its the same driver which Jaudere is using in his open baffle box. No t/s parameters available.
After a failed attempt at measuring its t/s parameters I am planning to take a risk and build an enclosure based on classic designs provided for other drivers

Philips fullrange

ALTEC PLANS

Should I just pick up any of the above plans or go the open baffle way?
My fearwith open baffle is that I may loose too much bass.
BTW I am thinking of using these speakers for listening to old hindi songs.

Hai Cranky,

I have seen in chennai Ritchie street that the Philips 8 inch Full range driver (Hi-Q Model) is actually made by Boston Acoustics, as per the dealer the Philips Brand for Speakers were taken over by Boston recently . The fit and finish of the speaker were good. Also the T/S Parameters were printed on the Carton, which I think no other Indian Brand does. How do you rate this speakers SQ wise?. Do you have any enclosure plans for this drivers. Pl let me know.

Thanks,

N Murali

hi Murali,

Can you do me a favour? if it is possible, please post the TS parameters of the driver. The drivers are indeed called Philips Hi-Q. to my surprise, there are 2 varieties of philips full rangers. one is called philips Hi-Q and has dual cone. the second is called philips full range driver and does not have dual cone.

Hai cranky and Jaudere,

Let me check up with the dealer, and will post the T/s params.

N.Murali

...as per the dealer the Philips Brand for Speakers were taken over by Boston recently
I doubt that. The son of Late Mr. Moga (Bolton founder) is not interested in running Bolton. He is more into Real Estate. I will confirm it from Angshu who had access to Bolton factory.

Back to the driver, as Shri Cranky mentioned its best in a sealed box. Philips HiQ boxes were about 18 liters. From what I recall dimensions were 12x9x15 or thereabout.

Back in the days it was a favourite driver costing about Rs. 150 ea. I recently bought a pair (4 Ohms) to install in my vehicle.

Considering your musical preference, this could be an excellent choice. Best of luck !!

I doubt that. The son of Late Mr. Moga (Bolton founder) is not interested in running Bolton. He is more into Real Estate. I will confirm it from Angshu who had access to Bolton factory.

Back to the driver, as Shri Cranky mentioned its best in a sealed box. Philips HiQ boxes were about 18 liters. From what I recall dimensions were 12x9x15 or thereabout.

Back in the days it was a favourite driver costing about Rs. 150 ea. I recently bought a pair (4 Ohms) to install in my vehicle.

Considering your musical preference, this could be an excellent choice. Best of luck !!

Hai AKS,

I meant BOSTON Acoustics & not BOLTON.

N Murali

Hai AKS,

I meant BOSTON Acoustics & not BOLTON.

N Murali
A thousand apologies only, Sir.

I can explain as below :

1. You stagger home at 1AM after a Saturday night out, in a reasonably cheerful condition
2. The bifocals are not on your nose.
3. Your laptop is smaller than it should be for your age, particularly when you are in a fuddled state.
4. An irritable wife in background #$%!! You have to now surf also! @#$

But on a positive, you will note that I still remembered the enclosure volume ;)

boston woofers launchin any idea. i saw the 6in hq, looked nice man, really. neat packaging also. dealer couldnt give any date ragarding that.

Hi Attaching a few specs.
The t/s parameters are not available it seems.
Can someone please suggest me a box design based on the specs attached?

Sorry for the poor quality of images. Digital Camera batteries dead.Clicked using phone.

Attachments

• Specifications.jpg
    Specifications.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 667
  • frequency response.jpg
    frequency response.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 656
  • frequency response.zip
    87.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi Murali,

May i know the which shop i can get this drive in ritchie street.Give me the shop name and cost of this driver.

Regards,

Naseer

Hey reviving a old thread
I am told on lamington road that Philips 12 Inch Fullange drivers are available @ Rs 950 a Piece..
Now
1) Is philips makes any 12 Inch drivers
2) Are they useful?
3) Any no brain easy DIY design is based on it? I mean I can ask carpenter to make a boy - In that 12 inch hole and voila! my speaker is ready!

Or I am asking too much!

Hey reviving a old thread
I am told on lamington road that Philips 12 Inch Fullange drivers are available @ Rs 950 a Piece..
Now
1) Is philips makes any 12 Inch drivers
2) Are they useful?
3) Any no brain easy DIY design is based on it? I mean I can ask carpenter to make a boy - In that 12 inch hole and voila! my speaker is ready!

Or I am asking too much!

1)I have heard the 12" . i think they are woofers and not full rangers(on the cardboard box, they call it a "Speaker", that's all! the dealer was trying to sell it to me as full range (he said"don't you believe in what is written on speakers?"then i listened to the sound and made him listen to the sound. they are not full rangers.the price is right (same in pune where i bought my drivers). low powered: 70W RMS

2) they can be useful in 3 way design. but again they come in plain brown cardboard box. nothing written on them, T/S is a big ask! so i don't know how to construct the box.

3) i am using "no brain" easy DIY design. : called open baffle. use Philips hi-Q full rangers with philips tweeters. I am very happy with them . to get a good bass on open baffle , you need larger drivers. i am using 15" drivers for bass.

I enquired about why they come in such a hopeless packing with no information, i was told that they are produced as replacement drivers for philips speakers which have broken down. so the box/crossover , everything is ready and no one needs T/S parameters. when you don't know about T/S parameters, "no box" is the easiest box to built as long as you lucky enough to have high Qts (>0.7 at least)

Dear Murali,

I am a fan of the Philips Hi-Q speakers and have been using them for the last 20 years or so. Recently one of the pair has gone dead and I am looking for a replacement.

I would heartily recommend that you use these speakers as front L-R speakers.

regards.

hi Murali,

Can you do me a favour? if it is possible, please post the TS parameters of the driver. The drivers are indeed called Philips Hi-Q. to my surprise, there are 2 varieties of philips full rangers. one is called philips Hi-Q and has dual cone. the second is called philips full range driver and does not have dual cone.

you got to be kidding.....

I used this speakers in 1972 through 2000, and they still make and sell these?

This must be a record of some sort for longest production of a speaker model/type.

Hi could u pls email me Mr.Angshu contact details [email protected]

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back