bass reflex speaker help!!

insane79

hi guy,
i got the jamo s606 speakers, the front floorstanders are bass reflex, they have a port on the back side, i want to know how far i should keep them away from the wall, currently they are 2 inches aways from the wall,
is that enough?
need help thanks byee...

Hi,

The rear ported speakers require bit of breathing space in order to perform well !! its recommended that you keep minimum of 2 feet gap as 2 inch is nothing,with this gap the bass will be very boomy and muddy !!

By the way anything with port is called bass reflex,so as you said the rear port one's are not the only one's called bass reflex !!

Please see to it that you maintain the distance for best sound reproduction,but if its not feasible for any reason then give as much as possible !!

Regards.

thanks for the help, just to clarify only the back side of the speakers are 2-3 inches away from the wall, the sides of the speakers are not close to the wall, only the rear side of the speakers, the backside has a port so it needs 2ft space to shoot out air?
i m confused,
thanks byee

Hi,

Yup Buddy Only the back !! Am only talking bout the back,sides do matter but back's more important !! so the speakers back ( i,e where the port is located ) should be minimum 2 feet from the wall !!

Regards.

Hi,
Speakers with ports generally also have foam bungs supplied alongwith. If u cant pull them into the room sufficiently bung the ports at the rear. It will help.
Regards

Hi,
Speakers with ports generally also have foam bungs supplied alongwith. If u cant pull them into the room sufficiently bung the ports at the rear. It will help.
Regards

wat are foam bungs? i didnt get any with mine,
these are my speakers-
S 60
wat foam bungs do?
thanks byee..

foam bungs are sponges shaped to fit the speaker ports exactly.If they were not supplied with u'r speakers i guess u could buy some regular rectangular cleaning sponges in any departmental store and cut them into the required shape.

Hi,
Yes exactly as Dr. Chandu said.
Am not familiar with ur speaker but its a vented box design so when u insert a sponge/foam bung into the rear port u are altering(read lowering) the bass frequencies. Am surprised they are not supplied. Call ur distributor and tell him ur space constraint and whether Jamo has bungs as an optional or else u will have to cut them out from a thick sheet of sponge. (Please dont shove them very deep into the port so u cant remove them!!!!!)
Insane 79 how much space can u leave behind the speaker? 2 inches is too little but 10 to 12 inches may suffice. Experiment and see if u hit a good balance as closing the rear port may make the speaker sound different and u may not like the sound.
If u are in mumbai i could give u foam bungs of different sizes as all B&W s are supplied with them and i have bungs from all my earlier speakers!!!
Regards

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes exactly as Dr. Chandu said.
Am not familiar with ur speaker but its a vented box design so when u insert a sponge/foam bung into the rear port u are altering(read lowering) the bass frequencies. Am surprised they are not supplied. Call ur distributor and tell him ur space constraint and whether Jamo has bungs as an optional or else u will have to cut them out from a thick sheet of sponge. (Please dont shove them very deep into the port so u cant remove them!!!!!)
Insane 79 how much space can u leave behind the speaker? 2 inches is too little but 10 to 12 inches may suffice. Experiment and see if u hit a good balance as closing the rear port may make the speaker sound different and u may not like the sound.
If u are in mumbai i could give u foam bungs of different sizes as all B&W s are supplied with them and i have bungs from all my earlier speakers!!!
Regards
thanks alot guys for the help,
will call jamo today & ask them abt the foam bungs, if i put the foam bungs will 3 inches of space from the rear port to the wall be enough for the speaker then?
thanks guys
byee

spoke to the jamo guys today, they dont recommend foam bungs,
they are saying it will spoil the tone quality & amplification, they said to give the front speakers an angle by 1/2 inch so the air exiting the port doesnt reflect back in, will give it a try & keep ur'll updated,
thanks byee..

Hi,

Sure thing checkout how it fares and let us know !! by the way don't mind but could you mind telling how much max space can you spare (at the back offcourse),because Am just curious to know as you are calling jamo guys for bungs and doing all sorts of things but to give it 2 feet room !!

Regards.

Hi,

Sure thing checkout how it fares and let us know !! by the way don't mind but could you mind telling how much max space can you spare (at the back offcourse),because Am just curious to know as you are calling jamo guys for bungs and doing all sorts of things but to give it 2 feet room !!

Regards.

the max i cant put them away from the wall is 3-4 inches, as it is near the exit of my bedroom door, so if i put them abit more then 4inches away from the wall it will obstruct the way to the bedroom door :-(
will give it a slight angle & see how it sounds,
thanks for the help guys,
cheers...

Turning them at an angle, or "toeing in" as it is better known, helps create better focus but be warned that it is proportionately a tradeoff with soundstage. Best contact Jamo directly to ask if you can use bungs.

U know insane 79 toeing them marginally is good in most cases but i somehow dont think it will solve the issue here.Most speakers are designed to sound its best in "Free space". By that they mean to pull them considerably away from rear & side walls and hence its important to try speakers that sound good in ones own home environment and stuck to rear walls! But apart from not being ideal are u having a problem with them so close to the wall?
My speakers are not rear ported but i still need at least 8/10 inches(my manual says a minimum of a meter from the rear wall!!!!!) from the rear wall to make them sound convincing and to accomodate fat speaker cable+banana plugs.
I too had a FS(B&W 704) which i had a tough time fine tuning due to the rear port and the space constraint in a small apartment.
Anyway try every suggestion and see. Big FS are a little tricky to position.
Regards

Last edited:
Hi Particleman,
Unless ur room is really large or u are really crave deep bass a quality SM is very musical.
I would suggest u keep ur eyes & ears open for used speakers. U will get super speakers at reasonable prices. Take advantage of someones upgrade bug.
Last week a friend bought a JM labs micro utopia SM for 1.1L (16 months old) which i think are a brilliant buy.
Regards

U know insane 79 toeing them marginally is good in most cases but i somehow dont think it will solve the issue here.Most speakers are designed to sound its best in "Free space". By that they mean to pull them considerably away from rear & side walls and hence its important to try speakers that sound good in ones own home environment and stuck to rear walls! But apart from not being ideal are u having a problem with them so close to the wall?
My speakers are not rear ported but i still need at least 8/10 inches(my manual says a minimum of a meter from the rear wall!!!!!) from the rear wall to make them sound convincing and to accomodate fat speaker cable+banana plugs.
I too had a FS(B&W 704) which i had a tough time fine tuning due to the rear port and the space constraint in a small apartment.
Anyway try every suggestion and see. Big FS are a little tricky to position.
Regards
hi,
i just moved my speakers kept the rear side of the speakers 5 inches from the wall with a slight toe about an inch & they sound awesome, i think i'll stick to my fs for now:)
thanks for the help guys,
byee..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back