BDP S370 as SACD Player

hd650gm

Hi all,

I have bought BDP S370 in US to be used as BDP as well as CD / SACD player. I have used all time favorite Dark Side Of The Moon to test out a simple set up - Sony DVD HTIB connected with S370 using RCA. The sony DVD HTIB itself has SACD capability and its multi channel output was good but I feel S370 stereo is better.

While the sound is very good ( considering HTIB systems ) , the details that we see in display ( here a 40" LCD ) doesn't have the track name and other details that regularly comes out for CD play back. This issue seem to be documented in sony support site and consistent with higher ups - s470 and s570 as well.

Also, in one of the threads from one of the audio community, it was mentioned that Sony BDP S370 has 24/192 wolfson DAC and the above said issue with display of track details also documented.

Anybody used BDP s370 for SACD / CD play back ? Any other experiences ?

Hi all,

I have bought BDP S370 in US to be used as BDP as well as CD / SACD player. I have used all time favorite Dark Side Of The Moon to test out a simple set up - Sony DVD HTIB connected with S370 using RCA. The sony DVD HTIB itself has SACD capability and its multi channel output was good but I feel S370 stereo is better.

While the sound is very good ( considering HTIB systems ) , the details that we see in display ( here a 40" LCD ) doesn't have the track name and other details that regularly comes out for CD play back. This issue seem to be documented in sony support site and consistent with higher ups - s470 and s570 as well.

Also, in one of the threads from one of the audio community, it was mentioned that Sony BDP S370 has 24/192 wolfson DAC and the above said issue with display of track details also documented.

Although I have the player and the afore-mentioned PF SACD, I have my player connected to a TV set, so I'm not able to give you any observations on my system. However, a friend of mine has the very same player connected to a Yamaha stereo receiver and budget floor-standers and seems to swear by it. I've heard the system myself, but am not overly impressed by the speaker/amp combination.

Ergonomically, as an audio CD player, the Sony is a royal pain in the rear:

- The numeric keypad does not work for direct track/title/chapter access.
- The unit's fluorescent display is less than basic and you have to rely on the on-screen display which means that the TV has to be kept on while playing audio CDs/SACDs.
- There is ZERO support for SACD/CD-Text.
- I do not care for Sony's *ahem* way down south of 5000/- buck build quality. Damn it, Sony, at least allow us to customize it by giving us the option of installing the internal components in a better built casing. :p

Yeah, those are my complaints! :p

Last edited:
I play my CD/ SACD thru Pioneer DV-610, but there's no display on TV. Screen is totally blank. I was under the impression that CD/ SACD will have this limitation, as my DVD-A outputs proper menu, track info, lyrics etc.

Am I missing something??

I play my CD/ SACD thru Pioneer DV-610, but there's no display on TV. Screen is totally blank. I was under the impression that CD/ SACD will have this limitation, as my DVD-A outputs proper menu, track info, lyrics etc.

Am I missing something??

The BDP-S370 does have a pretty informative OSD. And because it can be networked, you can even download the artwork from Gracenote.

The problem is that the fluorescent display on the BD player itself is limited, to say the least. Once you're used to spinning a CD in a CD player, there's no going back. *sigh!*

Last edited:
I was going through sony's 2011 line up.... BDP S380 doesn't have SACD listed in audio feature.

Link is here ...

BDP-S380 | Blu-ray Disc? Player | Sony | Sony Style USA

Well, it does, here:

At the CES in Las Vegas, Sony has presented their new 2011 line-up this Wednesday, including the their range of Blu-ray Disc Players and BD Home Theater Systems. Like last year's range, all models except a new portable model (BDP-SX1000) feature SACD playback.

The press release states: The full HD 1080p new Blu-ray Disc line includes four stand alone models (BDP-S780, BDP-S580, BDP-S480, and BDP-S380) and three integrated home theater systems (BDV-E780W, BDV-E580, and BDV-E280), as well as a 5.1 channel home theater audio system (HT-SS380). All of the models play back DVD, CD and SACD discs in addition to Blu-ray Discs.

Source: PS3SACD.com - the Super Audio CD resource for PlayStation3 users

(scroll to entry dated: January 6, 2011, entitled: Ten new Sony SACD/BD players)

I have this player but havent used for SACD/CD playback yet- have had it for a while now. Used it for Blu rays initially and then later for catch up tv services via a broadband connection(BBC Iplayer) and for youtube streaming - found the quality with these services quite good in addition to blu ray playback.It's been a good few months since I used it,need to check that it's working :)

I had thought of running the coax output into my B-Dac and using it for CD duties but never got around to it and been continuing with my sony CD player.

I had thought of running the coax output into my B-Dac and using it for CD duties but never got around to it and been continuing with my sony CD player.

Ergonomically, I find the S-370 way too limiting, as a CD player. I prefer using my Yamaha CDX-486 for those duties, instead.

Ergonomically, I find the S-370 way too limiting, as a CD player. I prefer using my Yamaha CDX-486 for those duties, instead.

Guess I'll put plans of using the S370 as a CD spinner on a back burner then.

I know this is a old thread. But I recently bought Sony BDP-S370 from a thrift store. It plays SACD as well SACD-R (SACD iso image [my own backup of SACD] written on a DVD-R). The sound quality is excellent. I tested playback through HDMI using a receiver and also through RCA to a Stereo amplifier. The sound quality is excellent.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back