beginner turntable and speaker setup

KeithFranklin

Hey,

I am new to the vinyl/turntable world. I want to set up a robust sound system in my room, that can be incrementally upgraded.
Here are the specifics of what I want initially:
  • a new entry-level turntable.
  • A vacuum tube pre-amp/amp. [vacuum tube for its aesthetic look value]
  • a good speaker configuration.
I'm budgeting around ~1 lac for the entire setup.
My music preferences range from rock, classical [western], Jazz, blues.
I am new to this audiophile world and want to build my way up with different experiences. I could use all the help I can get.

I Stay in Bangalore(Bengaluru) BTW.

Hey,

I am new to the vinyl/turntable world. I want to set up a robust sound system in my room, that can be incrementally upgraded.
Here are the specifics of what I want initially:
  • a new entry-level turntable.
  • A vacuum tube pre-amp/amp. [vacuum tube for its aesthetic look value]
  • a good speaker configuration.
I'm budgeting around ~1 lac for the entire setup.
My music preferences range from rock, classical [western], Jazz, blues.
I am new to this audiophile world and want to build my way up with different experiences. I could use all the help I can get.

I Stay in Bangalore(Bengaluru) BTW.

You will need to budget for

1. a) Turntable b) phonostage ideally integrated offering .

The Denon DP-29F has both for under 20K and you can connect directly to any amplifier

2. Tube Integrated amp ( better for your budget)

Not aware of anything in the 30-40K range..maybe keep a lookout in the classified section ? but chose this to match your speaker

3. Speakers..usually 40-50% of your total budget.
I would suggest any by Fyne audio..but there are so many options out there for a tube amp you need one which has higher sensitivity so 88db or higher will be needed. I know the Fyne audio 301 is around 30K and that gives you more budget for your tube amp

This is the most subjective so please look around and finalize that first . Your Room size and placement is very important for this and you need to find the best speaker for the room first and then match it to an amp. Not doing this usually ends up with dissatisfaction/compromised sound.

4. Cables et all keep default for now so 5-10 K or less should do that.

Last edited:
Excellent suggestions by arj. I would like to add that budget permitting, you may go in for an entry level Project or Rega RP 1. Depending on the model chosen u may require a phono pre amp. While the Denon DP 29F is a good tt, it does track a bit heavy , at about 3.5 g+. The cartridge is Audio Technica AT3600L, which is not bad, but is non upgradeable. You may get better stylus options though. The biggest advantage is built-in phonostage and automatic operation.

You will need to budget for

1. a) Turntable b) phonostage ideally integrated offering .

The Denon DP-29F has both for under 20K and you can connect directly to any amplifier

2. Tube Integrated amp ( better for your budget)

Not aware of anything in the 30-40K range..maybe keep a lookout in the classified section ? but chose this to match your speaker

3. Speakers..usually 40-50% of your total budget.
I would suggest any by Fyne audio..but there are so many options out there for a tube amp you need one which has higher sensitivity so 88db or higher will be needed. I know the Fyne audio 301 is around 30K and that gives you more budget for your tube amp

This is the most subjective so please look around and finalize that first . Your Room size and placement is very important for this and you need to find the best speaker for the room first and then match it to an amp. Not doing this usually ends up with dissatisfaction/compromised sound.

4. Cables et all keep default for now so 5-10 K or less should do that.
Hey, thanks for the reply. it was really helpful.

So the room size is 13ftx19ft. placement would be fairly conventional, against one of the walls.

I did some reading on Fyne audio 301 and it should be good to start with. I'll probably upgrade one I understand more on speakers.

For the Vacuum Tube Integrated amp, you mentioned choosing one that would match the speakers. is there any specific thing that I should look for? or technical detail that I should see/compare to pick the right one.

Thanks.

Excellent suggestions by arj. I would like to add that budget permitting, you may go in for an entry level Project or Rega RP 1. Depending on the model chosen u may require a phono pre amp. While the Denon DP 29F is a good tt, it does track a bit heavy , at about 3.5 g+. The cartridge is Audio Technica AT3600L, which is not bad, but is non upgradeable. You may get better stylus options though. The biggest advantage is built-in phonostage and automatic operation.
Hey,

I like the design and form factor of Rega RP 1. as overwhelming as the setup seems. I would like to explore the option.

can you suggest a phonostage that would go well along with this turntable? I really want the setup to have a visually appealing vacuum Tube amp to be fitting into the setup.

And maybe also give me some tips and do's-and-don'ts of manual operation TT.

Rega P1( I mentioned RP 1 by mistake, that was the predecessor of P1. RP 1 is discontinued) has an Audio Technica AT 3600 cart variant branded as Rega Carbon. It tracks lighter at approx 2 g and is thus different to AT 3600L. It has a good arm with preset bias and is a fairly simple tt to operate. All functions are manual .
As regards the phono stage, a wide variety is available , starting at around ₹2000 or lesser for Pyle Pp444 and going upto------. !! Better to ask a friend to bring u an Art Dj phono pre or Schiit Mani or any other more expensive ones from ifi, Cambridge audio ,Project, Rega or Nad. All have a distinct sound signature so do audition if u have a chance.
Look around, take ur time, listen carefully. I do hope you have a few records. Take them along. As I understand, Bangalore has a few dealers who will be glad to guide you properly.

Cheapest Option: The Best is to look at vintage direct drive turntables lile Technics SO D2/D3 which performs well at their price range. Technics direct drive TT's like SO 1200/1300/**1900 still performs quite silently.
An integrated amp with built in phonostage will work quite good at cheap but shall need to recap amplifoer's phono-card and replace small transistors. Sansui 555/555a is best option in this category.

Cheapest Option: The Best is to look at vintage direct drive turntables lile Technics SO D2/D3 which performs well at their price range. Technics direct drive TT's like SO 1200/1300/**1900 still performs quite silently.
An integrated amp with built in phonostage will work quite good at cheap but shall need to recap amplifoer's phono-card and replace small transistors. Sansui 555/555a is best option in this category.

Are you aware of any vintage Tube amplifiers with integrated which are easily available in the 40K category ? was looking at that option for someone but could not find any

Challenge with vintage is it needs to be bought from a trusted source..for someone who is just starting off can be a damper to the hobby itself. but yes vintage TTs especially those like technics can be a great option once you are more confident in this hobby.
Hey, thanks for the reply. it was really helpful.

So the room size is 13ftx19ft. placement would be fairly conventional, against one of the walls.

I did some reading on Fyne audio 301 and it should be good to start with. I'll probably upgrade one I understand more on speakers.

For the Vacuum Tube Integrated amp, you mentioned choosing one that would match the speakers. is there any specific thing that I should look for? or technical detail that I should see/compare to pick the right one.

Thanks.

13x19 is a decent sized room and you can have large drivers speakers also fit in but for your price a bookshelf will also do well. the Rega RP1 is of course a wonderful turntable but at 40K and then even a decent phono at 15K you have hardly anything left for the speaker and amp.

Sorry..a bit out of touch with stores :( usual suspects are places like Profx, cinebels etc.

to buy you can try hifimart.com and revolverclub

eg if you are not too hung up on Tubes, this is an option : https://www.therevolverclub.com/collections/performance-range

ie all in one turntable + a high quality powered speaker. very very convenient. although its 1.29L you get some really great components.
Option 2 is also good especially as the speakers go lower and may just power up your room better.

to buy you can try hifimart.com and revolverclub

eg if you are not too hung up on Tubes, this is an option : https://www.therevolverclub.com/collections/performance-range

ie all in one turntable + a high quality powered speaker. very very convenient. although its 1.29L you get some really great components.
Option 2 is also good especially as the speakers go lower and may just power up your room better.
I like option 2's setup, and it's within the budget. It also adds scope for a pre-amp if the Yamaha R-N303 doesn't hold up.

To start with a budget of 1L is less if u factor in a decent TT | Phono | Tube amp | Speakers | Cables. Now as u said that you would want to make incremental updates so best is to target components which would allow you to do that without selling as this is where u start losing money as there is a very miniscule market for pre-owned 2 channel stuff in India.

Start with
1. A TT (from the stable of Rega or Project) and good cartridge like Nagaoka MP110.
2. Target an entry level phono amp which should cost 15k
After this you would be left with minimal budget which cannot get you an amp + speakers so best is to
3. Klipsch R51 powered speakers with in-built phono (so you can opt out of 2) https://www.cinebels.com/klipsch-bookshelf-speakers-r-51pm10
4. For power cable you can check Mr. Murthy's power cable which are very nice for the price
5. For speaker cable you could try the entry level series of AudioQuest and then you need interconnects (can try the profigold or some other entry level series)

Now factor in the cost of LP's whose price has been increasing ever rapidly

Since you are in Bangalore visit Cinebels, Profx, Vikram (Mahatobar) and later also audiotion some very high end stuff (visit Absolute phase & Acoustic Potrait) so that you get a sense of what you are getting into which can then help you to decide.

Later when you have additional budget (and if needed) go in for a nice integrated tube amplifier from Lyrita audio and matching speaker which can cost quite a substential amount. (..and can use the Klipsch in another room)

Enjoy the journey .........

To start with a budget of 1L is less if u factor in a decent TT | Phono | Tube amp | Speakers | Cables. Now as u said that you would want to make incremental updates so best is to target components which would allow you to do that without selling as this is where u start losing money as there is a very miniscule market for pre-owned 2 channel stuff in India.

Start with
1. A TT (from the stable of Rega or Project) and good cartridge like Nagaoka MP110.
2. Target an entry level phono amp which should cost 15k
After this you would be left with minimal budget which cannot get you an amp + speakers so best is to
3. Klipsch R51 powered speakers with in-built phono (so you can opt out of 2) https://www.cinebels.com/klipsch-bookshelf-speakers-r-51pm10
4. For power cable you can check Mr. Murthy's power cable which are very nice for the price
5. For speaker cable you could try the entry level series of AudioQuest and then you need interconnects (can try the profigold or some other entry level series)

Now factor in the cost of LP's whose price has been increasing ever rapidly

Since you are in Bangalore visit Cinebels, Profx, Vikram (Mahatobar) and later also audiotion some very high end stuff (visit Absolute phase & Acoustic Potrait) so that you get a sense of what you are getting into which can then help you to decide.

Later when you have additional budget (and if needed) go in for a nice integrated tube amplifier from Lyrita audio and matching speaker which can cost quite a substential amount. (..and can use the Klipsch in another room)

Enjoy the journey .........
+1 except the suggestion for dedicated power cables. You won’t need that at this stage.

Tube amp will at that budget will not be a good option... Plus tube amps come at low wattage matching speakers would be a headache..get a good turntable with inbuilt phono stage and cartridge like arj mentioned + a decent speaker from wharfedale, psb, kef. Amp can be decided at last.. Anil from hifimart is very helpful, drop a message to him

I would go for a TT with in built phono , wharefedal diamond speakers and marantz amp. However , sachin 's CNC phono is a decent one to start with. Assuming that you have some fresh LPs and EPs because whatever system you have, you must have some well conditioned records to enjoy the analogue warmth and magic. If one has scratchy records then even 1L system will sound horrible.
Regards

I like option 2's setup, and it's within the budget. It also adds scope for a pre-amp if the Yamaha R-N303 doesn't hold up.
Actually you should think of a a good phono preamp as an upgrade as the next step and use the yamaha as an amp only. later on you can add a tube power amp and the yamaha can be a streamer/dac and preamp as well. so will last you several upgrades.

For a speaker at least look for one with 45 hz at 3db at the bottom end, else you will miss something in the music. option 2 does have a great range.

Consider this option:
Denon DP300F+Denon PMA-600NE+JBL Stage A170 or PSB Alpha P5. The PSB will cross the budget by ~15k. The JBL, even more. I have a little more faith in the PSB for sound, though harder to drive.

The above is a good place to start and should keep you happy for years to come. The DP300F is an old model and still relevant and good for what it is. It has heaps of options to upgrade the cartridge, provides full automatic operation and manual too, once you get used to handling a turntable. The Denon amplifier is okay as a starting point. Simple no fuss operation. You can do better but will cost you more money, which you don't have right now or may not want to spend. If you're okay to import a Emotiva TA-1, that would be by pick between the two integrated amplifiers.

Some alternative options to consider;

For the turntable, you have the Pioneer PLX-500. Add a Ortofon Red and you have a turntable that will blow the Denon DP300F and several others. This can be your last turntable, for similar dough as the Denon. Its that good. The upgrade path is almost limitless, especially around the cartridge. For the asking price, the PLX-500 is a bargain and beats every other turntable at its price point.

Vacuum tubes are best avoided as a starter component. They can be finnicky and its unlikely you'll find something that will fit within your budget. Take it step by step.

Good budget to start with. Will keep you happy for a while actually.

Since you indicate that this is your first foray, let me play devil's advocate, top yr proposal to go entry level, with Vinyl....

I believe that at the entry level, a CD Player will provide FAR Better sound quality than a similar investment in Vinyl Playback.

Vinyl Playback front end includes the TurnTable + Phono Stage

A CD Play Front end requires only a CD Player ... Try to chose one with a USB Input ... (More on that later.)

I genuinely believe that a Rs 20K to Rs 30K CD Player will FAR Outstrip the playback quality of a TT + Cartridge + Phono stage costing a similar amount.

Infact a Rs 20K CD Player will outstrip Rs 50K worth of vinyl playback ....

Each new Vinyl Disc will cost you Rs 2,000 !!! How much music will you be able to afford ? 10 LPs ? 20 LPs ? How long will they keep you entertained ?

Since you are on a Tight budget, I think your money will be far better spent on a CD Player. Infact you can save substantially when buying a CD Player (compared to Vinyl) and divert that money towards better Amp & Speakers.

If you do buy a CD Player with a USB Input, It will (along with any existing Laptop / computer for shared Audio duties) open up an infinitely large world of available music ... either streamed or CD Rips and downloads.

It is not my intention to HiJak this thread , and yes, I do Love Vinyl Playback, but IMO its not value at the entry level.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back