Setup from scratch .. relocation

deafbong_kolkata

Hello folks

Having relocated last year to Chicago , my audio setup at home is now in cryopreservation with no nearby date to wake up.

I have spare space here which is crying out for a small setup. As of now I haven’t started any research and just testing the waters.

However , I know what I want :

- a decent TT ( preferably a Technics/Rega/ ? )
- cart ( Ortofon/Nagaoka? )
- a phono pre
- a nice tube amp with phono input ( too much to ask for ? )
- DAC ( which can be connected to either MacBook Air M2/ iPad )
- standmount speakers

My budget is pretty tight at 8k.
Ideally I would like 50% of the budget to go to the speakers , that leaves 4k for the rest.

I’m open to preowned gear - but not sure what sites are reliable here. And I haven’t had much opportunity to visit the in-store places either.

Guidance on above would be helpful as well.

Hello folks

Having relocated last year to Chicago , my audio setup at home is now in cryopreservation with no nearby date to wake up.

I have spare space here which is crying out for a small setup. As of now I haven’t started any research and just testing the waters.

- a phono pre
- standmount speakers

Ideally I would like 50% of the budget to go to the speakers , that leaves 4k for the rest.

I’m open to preowned gear - but not sure what sites are reliable here. And I haven’t had much opportunity to visit the in-store places either.

In US please see used market first - lots of choice. here's a link shared by someone earlier- test the waters before jumping into used: https://www.accessories4less.com/

You may get a wide variety of gear at a good deal over here & it is a trusted site. Pls see the ratings of the seller too before purchasing. This site seems cheaper than Audiogon.

Hello folks

- a phono pre
- standmount speakers

There are certain brands which are priced right in US, and there are certain brands which are priced high in US due to the fact that they have to be imported from Europe or other parts of the world. Wiser buy would be chose one of them from the same price class which is priced right in US.

For example, Revel is priced right in US, where Canton or any other European brands are highly priced. You might end up with a lower tier speaker from those European brands for the same price you pay for a Revel.

That being said, I would keep aside a good part of my budget for room acoustics, otherwise it doesn’t matter how hi end you go, you will not hear half the potential of the system.

Room acoustics is absolutely no go. It’s a rented apartment.

That being said , with symmetrically arranged furniture , heavy carpeting , this is as good as I’m ever going to get.

Hello folks

- a phono pre
- standmount speakers

You should first join "www.usaudiomart.com" 🤣 ...Rest is easy :p.

Look for reliable sellers who mention their audiogon handles if buying from a far. If local to you, then prefer to listen, pay ad pickup. All the best :)

It should be easy being in USA.

Here is how you can start.

Set aside $400 for a flight to Just Audio, Maryland and spend the day there.
You'll have access to several Used and New equipment.
You're in Hi fi Mecca country.

I am not so sure about the whole tube, stand mount set up. You may need a sub for assistance.
I think that budget is plenty to start with.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back