beginner turntable and speaker setup

<snip>

I genuinely believe that a Rs 20K to Rs 30K CD Player will FAR Outstrip the playback quality of a TT + Cartridge + Phono stage costing a similar amount.

Infact a Rs 20K CD Player will outstrip Rs 50K worth of vinyl playback ....

Each new Vinyl Disc will cost you Rs 2,000 !!! How much music will you be able to afford ? 10 LPs ? 20 LPs ? How long will they keep you entertained ?

Since you are on a Tight budget, I think your money will be far better spent on a CD Player. Infact you can save substantially when buying a CD Player (compared to Vinyl) and divert that money towards better Amp & Speakers.

If you do buy a CD Player with a USB Input, It will (along with any existing Laptop / computer for shared Audio duties) open up an infinitely large world of available music ... either streamed or CD Rips and downloads.

It is not my intention to HiJak this thread , and yes, I do Love Vinyl Playback, but IMO its not value at the entry level.
Very true ! i should have added the statement i usually make as well..

Vinyl is a great option if
1. you already have a lot of vinyls which you might have got.
2. you listen to music from 80s or earlier
3. you have the budget to invest in decent quality vinyls at 1500+..till 3K per copy and you know which are the good recordings !
4. you want to be hipster cool..in that case your vinyl player is just an additional option with limited albums but you will listen to majority of music streaming etc

+1 to what @IndianEars has mentioned.

To start with a budget of 1L is less if u factor in a decent TT | Phono | Tube amp | Speakers | Cables. Now as u said that you would want to make incremental updates so best is to target components which would allow you to do that without selling as this is where u start losing money as there is a very miniscule market for pre-owned 2 channel stuff in India.

Start with
1. A TT (from the stable of Rega or Project) and good cartridge like Nagaoka MP110.
2. Target an entry level phono amp which should cost 15k
After this you would be left with minimal budget which cannot get you an amp + speakers so best is to
3. Klipsch R51 powered speakers with in-built phono (so you can opt out of 2) https://www.cinebels.com/klipsch-bookshelf-speakers-r-51pm10
4. For power cable you can check Mr. Murthy's power cable which are very nice for the price
5. For speaker cable you could try the entry level series of AudioQuest and then you need interconnects (can try the profigold or some other entry level series)

Now factor in the cost of LP's whose price has been increasing ever rapidly

Since you are in Bangalore visit Cinebels, Profx, Vikram (Mahatobar) and later also audiotion some very high end stuff (visit Absolute phase & Acoustic Potrait) so that you get a sense of what you are getting into which can then help you to decide.

Later when you have additional budget (and if needed) go in for a nice integrated tube amplifier from Lyrita audio and matching speaker which can cost quite a substential amount. (..and can use the Klipsch in another room)

Enjoy the journey .........
I took my TT, Cartridge and other accessories related to TT from him, customer friendly can help with your set up as well.

Infact a Rs 20K CD Player will outstrip Rs 50K worth of vinyl playback ....
Those are all valuable inputs, except for this one bit that I am not going to agree on. There are some serious contenders for turntables at this price point and by that, I don't mean the ultra low end cheap plastic krapp. Those are not even in the picture.

The only benefit I see with a CD player versus a turntable is ease of use. I am sure we can all agree that for a beginner, the 'easy' to use bit probably holds more importance that outright sound quality. However; once you set up a vinyl playback system, all you do is place a clean record, drop the needle on it and you have music.

If purchasing vinyl is going to be prohibitive for the user, I don't see how CD's make it any better. Might as well drop any form of physical media and go straight to streaming. Even the most basic form of streaming has reasonably good sound quality these days.

Choice of music should dictate what physical media one should invest in. If it’s 80s and earlier , vinyl playback makes absolute sense.

Those are all valuable inputs, except for this one bit that I am not going to agree on. There are some serious contenders for turntables at this price point and by that, I don't mean the ultra low end cheap plastic krapp. Those are not even in the picture.

The only benefit I see with a CD player versus a turntable is ease of use. I am sure we can all agree that for a beginner, the 'easy' to use bit probably holds more importance that outright sound quality. However; once you set up a vinyl playback system, all you do is place a clean record, drop the needle on it and you have music.

If purchasing vinyl is going to be prohibitive for the user, I don't see how CD's make it any better. Might as well drop any form of physical media and go straight to streaming. Even the most basic form of streaming has reasonably good sound quality these days.
Couple of points:

1. .... will outstrip Rs 50K worth of vinyl playback .... Vinyl Playback here I am referring to cost of TT + Cartridge + Phono Pre .....

2. Yes, streaming offers a Huge choice, but to my ears, it cant touch CD (or vinyl) replay. ... Though on an entry level setup the difference may not show up.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back