Benq TK850 4k HDR projector- hands on review

Amarendra

After waiting for several weeks I finally took the plunge into 4k projection. Last year i had moved to the LG OLED C9 and was slightly sceptical about any PJ's capability to produce good bright 4k images in the budget/ mid budget range. I was also under the impression that one cannot distinguish between a 4k and 1080p image on a projector. Yesterday I was proven wrong.

What nailed the specific model for me were 2 five star reviews (links below):

The latter review (hometheaterhifi) also has detailed calibration settings available.

There is another good review by Chris Majestic on Youtube. He does a lot of reviews on YT on projectors.

Here are other reviews which put it on the "Highly Recommended" list:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-TK850-4K-Projector-Review.htm

Form factor: The pj is actually quite small and light weight. Weighing at about 5kg it is half the weight of my earlier Epson EH TW 6100 which was 9.5 kgs. Hence mounting is easier, though I keep it on a shelf at the rear end of the room close to the ceiling. The model looks really sleek and well built with a premium feel to the finishing.

Display: this is my first DLP projector and wasnt sure how it would look after using an LCD pj for the last eight years. But the image is stunning in colors. What strikes me is the brightness. It just doesnt care that the lights are on or that there is ambient light in the room. I always thought that the Epson at 2000 lms was pretty bright but I can now see what 3000 lumens can do. The eco mode in Benq is brigher than the mormal mode in epson. While testing the projector in the evening I just didnt bother closing the curtains. During setup I switched to Cinema mode and turned the lamp to eco mode to add more hours to the lamp life. This also reduced the image brightness and made viewing more palatable.

4k content: native 4k content is mind blowing. I played a couple of clips from Youtube which were absolutely stunning. Infact the clarity was such that the images appeared 3D and had a huge pop effect to them.

1080p content: the pj does a decent job of upscaling the image. The attached Denon was also upscaling HD content to 4k. I watched "Our Planet" on Netflix in FHD on a 120 inch Grandview screen seated at ~ 10 feet and images were crisp, sharp, bright. A lot of people argue that the lack of 4k content doesnt justify a 4k pj. However we tend to forget the upscaling factor which a pj or tv can bring to a 1080p image.

Calibration: I used the calibration settings shared by the hometheaterhihifi reviewer above and could see a decent jump in colors and presentation. The image brightness was dialled down and the color accuracy improved. Benq claims 98% conformity to the Rec 709 standard.

W2700 or TK 850: After being confused for days between the 2 models I picked up the TK 850 since its a 2020 model and is for less than ideal rooms. My HT room walls and ceiling are white and not ideal for 100% Rec 709 settings ;-) In the end the brightness nailed it for me. The W 2700 is just 2000 lms (same as my Epson) and I have seen it struggle with ambient light in the room. Afternoon movie viewing with the blinds down were impossible with the Epson. A more accurate projector in a less than ideal setting is not of much use.

3D: Havent tested it yet.

Sound: In built speakers are decent for nature films or casual viewing.

Setup: Has lens shift (vertical) and auto keystone correction. Placement can be ceiling or standard.

If you have any queries do let me know...

Thanks Amarendra. How is the HDR content? I know it is foolish - but a comparison with C9 is too much of an ask?

Could you post a video review of some sort?

After waiting for several weeks I finally took the plunge into 4k projection. Last year i had moved to the LG OLED C9 and was slightly sceptical about any PJ's capability to produce good bright 4k images in the budget/ mid budget range. I was also under the impression that one cannot distinguish between a 4k and 1080p image on a projector. Yesterday I was proven wrong.

The latter review (hometheaterhifi) also has detailed calibration settings available.

There is another good review by Chris Majestic on Youtube. He does a lot of reviews on YT on projectors.

Form factor: The pj is actually quite small and light weight. Weighing at about 5kg it is half the weight of my earlier Epson EH TW 6100 which was 9.5 kgs. Hence mounting is easier, though I keep it on a shelf at the rear end of the room close to the ceiling. The model looks really sleek and well built with a premium feel to the finishing.

Display: this is my first DLP projector and wasnt sure how it would look after using an LCD pj for the last eight years. But the image is stunning in colors. What strikes me is the brightness. It just doesnt care that the lights are on or that there is ambient light in the room. I always thought that the Epson at 2000 lms was pretty bright but I can now see what 3000 lumens can do. The eco mode in Benq is brigher than the mormal mode in epson. While testing the projector in the evening I just didnt bother closing the curtains. During setup I switched to Cinema mode and turned the lamp to eco mode to add more hours to the lamp life. This also reduced the image brightness and made viewing more palatable.

4k content: native 4k content is mind blowing. I played a couple of clips from Youtube which were absolutely stunning. Infact the clarity was such that the images appeared 3D and had a huge pop effect to them.

1080p content: the pj does a decent job of upscaling the image. The attached Denon was also upscaling HD content to 4k. I watched "Our Planet" on Netflix in FHD on a 120 inch Grandview screen seated at ~ 10 feet and images were crisp, sharp, bright. A lot of people argue that the lack of 4k content doesnt justify a 4k pj. However we tend to forget the upscaling factor which a pj or tv can bring to a 1080p image.

Calibration: I used the calibration settings shared by the hometheaterhihifi reviewer above and could see a decent jump in colors and presentation. The image brightness was dialled down and the color accuracy improved. Benq claims 98% conformity to the Rec 709 standard.

W2700 or TK 850: After being confused for days between the 2 models I picked up the TK 850 since its a 2020 model and is for less than ideal rooms. My HT room walls and ceiling are white and not ideal for 100% Rec 709 settings ;-) In the end the brightness nailed it for me. The W 2700 is just 2000 lms (same as my Epson) and I have seen it struggle with ambient light in the room. Afternoon movie viewing with the blinds down were impossible with the Epson. A more accurate projector in a less than ideal setting is not of much use.

Setup: Has lens shift (vertical) and auto keystone correction. Placement can be ceiling or standard.

I too was looking at the tk800 which are mainly for living rooms where ambient light is more but did not take the plunge as prices were still high. Congratulations. It woul be good if you could share some pics with lights on

Congratulations on your purchase. You nailed with this review all the confusion and doubts I had on whether to choose this or the HT3550/W2700. Thanks for the review. Couple of queries though. If you don't mind, please PM me the price and the dealer. If it fits my budget, I might go for it instead of waiting to get it from US. Also, what would be the lamp life in eco mode and cost of replacing the lamp. Finally, what is the distance from projector to screen and how many inches of screen you achieved. Also, how much you paid for the fixed screen of grandview. Sorry for so many questions. This will help me on my decision making. Thanks in advance.

@Amarendra Waiting for pics! Looks like you view movies in daytime usually? Do you have a grey screen to help with that?
LoL no I am not so privileged to watch movies in day time but yes during weekends its fun to watch in the afternoon. I have 2 screens- a100 inch fixed frame diy. I used a white black-out cloth to make it. The other is a normal 120 inch Grandview screen.

I too was looking at the tk800 which are mainly for living rooms where ambient light is more but did not take the plunge as prices were still high. Congratulations. It woul be good if you could share some pics with lights on
Will do this afternoon. I am yet to set it up properly though. Also TK800 was replaced by TK800M and TK 800M was replaced by TK850. The dealers dont tell us this.

Congratulations on your purchase. You nailed with this review all the confusion and doubts I had on whether to choose this or the HT3550/W2700. Thanks for the review. Couple of queries though. If you don't mind, please PM me the price and the dealer. If it fits my budget, I might go for it instead of waiting to get it from US. Also, what would be the lamp life in eco mode and cost of replacing the lamp. Finally, what is the distance from projector to screen and how many inches of screen you achieved. Also, how much you paid for the fixed screen of grandview. Sorry for so many questions. This will help me on my decision making. Thanks in advance.
Bear with me. I will answer all queries by afternoon

To answer some of your queries:
- yes will PM you details

- claimed life is

Normal 4,000 hours

Economic 10,000 hours

SmartEco 15,000 hours

I am currently in Eco mode which is enough. The lamp has one year warranty and pj has 2 year onsite warranty

Distance: was about 11- 12 feet which gave about 100 ft. But be careful here. The Pj has a bigger adjustment to increase the image but decreasing the image is difficult. Hence if I want to reduce image size beyond a limit i have to move it forward.

Throw Ratio
1.13 - 1.47 (100" @ 8.2 feet/ 2.5 m)

Grandview screen I picked up about 7 years back from Pioneer Screens in Mumbai. The cost at that time was INR 12k. Its extremely heavy though

Congratulations on this awesome purchase. I too am considering buying the same for my new set up. If you don't mind can you pl share the cost and the dealer's name.

Hi posting some pics taken at 4 pm (daylight). The windows/ curtains were open and the PJ was running in ECO lamp mode with Cinema (least bright) mode. Also note that the snaps were taken with a simple Asus phone and resized to fit on the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks for the review and Images.
Your writing is very good.
The most important part of your review include user aspects which are being missed in proffetional reviews..

Congratulation on your purchase.
From where did you buy this projector?
I am in process of buying projector.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back