Beresford Caiman Review

Eagerly awaiting pure audio output SQ rating from Oppo vs DAC vs budget CDP

Cheers

For this test I would request a fellow member from in and around Delhi to carry the budget CD player along with him and have the above tests carried out in his presence.

Sorry for posting here, but i badly and quickly need some advice.what will be best option for source(since i am tempted to consider the DAC option). My bro is coming shortly so want to finalize this fast.
1)Marantz 5003 - 10k or marantz 6002 - 14k and add a dac caiman or 7520 later.
2)Marantz 6003- 19k, can play wav through usb, thus obviates the need for a separate dac and facilitates playing lossless from a large collection. Is it worth that much since it seems to be a convenient solution in the long term..

The vital question is whether a CDP like Marantz 6003 with its built-in DAC outperform a good DVDP/CDP + DAC like Beresford? Not much reviews on this model except what hifi. Hence need your advice.

The difference betwen a CD player and say a DAC like the Caiman is that you can use the DAC for a lot more. You can for instance connect it to your PC, or DVD player, or even some satellite receivers. Then there is the iPOD via an Onky DS1 option.
With a CD player, you are limited to just playing discs. So if you don't have a CD collection that is large enough, you are not going to benefit that much from a CD player.

Stan: How much difference does a transport make for a DAC?

As in will there be a difference in connecting the DAC to say a WDTV or DVDp and connecting it to say Marantz CD63 SE

Stan: How much difference does a transport make for a DAC?

As in will there be a difference in connecting the DAC to say a WDTV or DVDp and connecting it to say Marantz CD63 SE

To rephrase Madbull's question slightly - how would you rate your DAC paired with a run-of-the-mill transport like a mass-market DVDP. Does your DAC re-clock the incoming signal effectively overcoming the shortcomings of the cheap transport?

or would you still recommend a high-end transport?

Regards

well there are CDPs now that can play off a hard disk, and even off an ipod.

Marantz America | SA8003 Stereo SA-CD / CD Player

But DAC would def give you more flexibility.

regards

The difference betwen a CD player and say a DAC like the Caiman is that you can use the DAC for a lot more. You can for instance connect it to your PC, or DVD player, or even some satellite receivers. Then there is the iPOD via an Onky DS1 option.
With a CD player, you are limited to just playing discs. So if you don't have a CD collection that is large enough, you are not going to benefit that much from a CD player.

Sorry for posting here, but i badly and quickly need some advice.what will be best option for source(since i am tempted to consider the DAC option). My bro is coming shortly so want to finalize this fast.
1)Marantz 5003 - 10k or marantz 6002 - 14k and add a dac caiman or 7520 later.
2)Marantz 6003- 19k, can play wav through usb, thus obviates the need for a separate dac and facilitates playing lossless from a large collection. Is it worth that much since it seems to be a convenient solution in the long term..

The vital question is whether a CDP like Marantz 6003 with its built-in DAC outperform a good DVDP/CDP + DAC like Beresford? Not much reviews on this model except what hifi. Hence need your advice.

ISometime back I did a one- o- one comparison with Marantz 5003 with the Beresford 7510 and the winner was Beresford DAC. When the singer sang there was air between the voices and it felt as if it had a more presence, larger sound stage and enveloping experience.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

To add to the confusion, inquired abut musical fidelity v-dac with Audio people, chennai. They said it is in great demand but out of stock and expected to arrive only after March. Price 15k. Guess i cant keep waiting till then.

In layman's terms, specs apart, what is the diff between SQ of 7520 and caiman?For basic use as source, will not 7520 suffice?

Last edited:
Sadly, Oppo has discontinued their line of DVD players, else you could have got a 980 brought in & later added a DAC for audio purposes.
If I were in your shoes, I wld prob get an Oppo BDB 83 for now & later cosider an audio DAC if my system had the resolving ability to show up the diff.
I dont know how much of a movie freak you are but personally,I would do this as it future proof me on the video front for some time & a DAC can always be added later on.
On the DAC front, members are taking them much more seriously now, what with the proliferation of HDD based storage solutions.
I'm therefore sure that we'll see a fair number of reviews of DACs-MBR is due to get his DAC magic very soon, followed by a review, so that'll be another option to consider.
Plus Viren is seriously into designing a DAC with a valve PSU & output stage.
Knowing him, its sure to be a serious option for Indian audiophiles.
So, get a good BDP/DVD player with a respected transport for now i.o of just a CDP; & think DAC later on.

I'm pushing him, Rajiv, ever since we mulled this over a winter afternoon coffee session a fortnight back.
Any thoughts on what features, input/output jacks etc his DAC should have ,to make it versatile in pairings with various storage/line level input devices?
I'm sure such feedback would help him in designing a real user friendly DAC.

Any thoughts on what features, input/output jacks etc his DAC should have ,to make it versatile in pairings with various storage/line level input devices?

Kamal it should atleast have Co-axial, Tosilink (optical) input, and if possible a USB input too. The output should consist of both balanced as well as unbalanced RCA output. If it could also act as a pre amp controller then it would add to the feature count for this kind of product.

1. Optical
2. Coaxial
3. USB
4. Quality analogue o/p (Balanced o/p optional)
5. Headphone amp with 1.4" output
6. Remote
7. Internal PSU (no chunky adapters!)
8. Removable power chord.

Hopefully something in the lines of the Peachtree Nova features, may be with out the amp section :)

peachNova.jpg

peachtree-audio_nova_rear.jpg

Cheers.

I'm pushing him, Rajiv, ever since we mulled this over a winter afternoon coffee session a fortnight back.

Hi,

So I am not the only one asking him to add a DAC to the Lyrita product line.

I like to keep things simple.Three inputs Coax,optical and USB would be the minimum I would like to see in the DAC.

Output can be fixed line level.

Adding too many features increases the cost and often sound quality is compromised in the cost/features tussle .For ultimate sound quality simple is best.

Viren could offer the features suggested by Unleash_me and Ashishkesarwani as options.

I am curious to know what tubes Viren is considering using.

Regards
Rajiv

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back