Beresford DAC MK4 review

heliumflight

Hello friends,

It's been 2 week's and as I promised in my earlier threads I would write a review (though I'm not qualified) so that it may benfit my fellow friends.

Off the box the first impressions were that it brings were....

1. it brings the highs, midrange and lows to neutarlity as a single component
2. Bass is prominent not exggarated
3. Rhythm which makes it exciting
4. Tonality- If we use the preamp variable output (vol control) then the sound is warm (highs were cut off with detail being lost wheresas the bass is very prominent. Whereas when I ues the fixed output then the sound is bright and exciting.

Other things which I noticed were

lucid timing- good
pace- good
Involving- definitely
Authority- to some degree
Dynamics- very good
Clarity- definitely good for the money
Detail- very good
Controlled bass with perfect roll off- not so good, exxagerated bass but works for the better of bookshelves.
Rhythm- good
Full-bodied- neither full nor lean
Bass- not extended but prominent
Good leading edge attack- yes
Separation- very good
Exciting- yes
Knock/ slam- yes
Warm- No
Lean - no
Musical yes

****end of report**

kindest regards
helium

cool! how much did you pay for it and how did you get it?
regards

I got it as a gift but I'm pasting an email from STan that will answer your question......

Hi,

The two DACs I do are listed on my site. There is also an on-line price calculator there. Just go through the site as if you are ordering, and at the check out the final price will be listed, including shipping to your destination.

I publish few details since I go by what it sounds, not what it is made of .
Have a read on The Digital Impression - The Art of Sound Forum

Regards,
Stan

Stanley Beresford
[email protected]
redirection page
redirection page
Mobile: +44 7917896868

What was the source used? Amp & Speakers?
Which musi you tested?
Any referance music?

Source: LG DVD + Beresford
Amp: Bryston B60 R
Speaker: B&W DM 4 / Jamo Studio 170
IC: Monster cable Thx
Music: Pinkfloyd, Direstraits, Chris Rea, Whitesnake, Rush

Kindest regards,
helium

So in short did you like it?
Did it complete your expectations?
How much will you rate out of 10?

Did you try using the usb option? How does one use it? does it function like a usb sound card?

Cheers

AFAIK opamps in circuit are known to degrade SQ, thats why marantz uses propreitory "hdam" components and almost all high end equipments avoid them. Nat Semi has just released an op-amp part that does away with its limitations and a few high end audio manufacturers are evaluating it for their high-end gear.

PS: the link pasted does not work.

Regards

what are opamps being used for? For the pre-amp part? Will they degrade sound if I take line out and feed to a pre-amp/ integrated?

regards

Here is what people hav to say about op-amps

"Op-amps are everywhere: preamplifier linestages, CD players, digital-to-analog converters, and the front ends of power amplifiers, to name just a few product categories. Any component with analog input or output jacks probably employs several op-amps.

An op-amp a fraction the size of a postage stamp can replace a dozen or more discrete components that would consume several square inches of circuit-board real estate. Historically, op-amps have not matched the sound quality of a well-designed discrete circuit (tube or transistor)."

Here is a reference
National Semiconductor Introduces Industry?s Lowest Distortion, High-Fidelity Audio Op Amps
New Op-Amps Promise High-End Sound | AV Guide

cheers

AFAIK opamps in circuit are known to degrade SQ, thats why marantz uses propreitory "hdam" components and almost all high end equipments avoid them. Nat Semi has just released an op-amp part that does away with its limitations and a few high end audio manufacturers are evaluating it for their high-end gear.

PS: the link pasted does not work.

Regards

Here is the link with discussion btween 7510 & 7520.
Beresford: 7520 or 7510 - The Art of Sound Forum

There are other reviews on 7520 on same forum.

Hi anm,

The variable output needs a different filter than the fixed output just in case amplifier it connects to has not got any high frequency filters.

Regards

what are opamps being used for? For the pre-amp part? Will they degrade sound if I take line out and feed to a pre-amp/ integrated?

regards

Gobble I have the 7510 and that doesn't have the usb option. In the 7520 you can simply connect the usb cable from your laptop to DAC

Regards

Did you try using the usb option? How does one use it? does it function like a usb sound card?

Cheers

Got the answer, disregard my question.

Any Beresford users planning a change of opamps mod? Are the Nat Semi opamps easily available here?

Cheers

Congrats Heliumflight on picking up the DAC.

Hey, we must connect one of these days, but you know why I haven't invited you over.... Its just a few more days and we'll know where we are going with the son!

Vj

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back