Best 2.0 Passive Speakers under 40k

mehul3

Hi friends,

Hope all doing well. I'm looking to buy a pair of bookshelves or floorstanders under the 40k price bracket. Looking only at 2.0 Stereo passive configuration. Don't plan on adding a sub. Will be used purely for music listening and not for movies. Open to take the preloved route. Not looking to upgrade my amp immediately.

Just to give a background, I'm moving in from headphones into the speaker territory. Have used AKG K712 Pro, and had a listen to headphones like Hifiman Ananda, Sennheiser HD 800s within my friend circle. My Last set of speakers: Wharfedale Vardus VR300 Floorstanders.

Current Chain: Lenovo Ideapad 520 - Tidal Masters - Khadas Tone Board - DAC interconnects - Cambridge Azur 540a V2.0 (60 W per channel)

Setup will be in my living room - 19 x 10 feet plus an additional L-shaped dining area of 10 x 10 feet.

Preferred sound signature: Transparent and natural sounding. Fast transients. Pinpoint imaging. Good extension on both ends. Not looking for a warm signature or boosted bass. Not looking for a V-shaped signature either.

Options that I have heard so far(So that others can get an idea of my sound preference)

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 - Too thick and warm. Too bass-heavy
Monitor Audio Apex 10 - Lack of low-end grunt. Apart from that, they were really clean-sounding.
Mission LX4 MKII - Boosted bass, recessed mids. Did not love the overall balance.
Klipsch RP 600M - Sounded impressive, but a touch too bright.
Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 - Found them to be very transparent. Fast. Bass was a touch on the leaner side though. Overall was satisfied, but not heavily impressed.
Monitor Audio Bronze 5 - The most impressive of the lot. Amazing dynamics, great transient response. 3D sounding. Getting them preloved, but just out of my budget.
Q Acoustics 3050i - Another option that I liked. Had the right amount of low-end heft and was impressed by the scale of sound. A touch on the sweeter side though. Again, out of my budget.

Based on the above info, what all options do I have? The budget is for 40k max. Any help, suggestions from experts will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi @mehul3
If you have liked the QA3050i then why not try out QA3030i same drivers in smaller footprint.

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 also similarly has a bookshelf for it Monitor Audio Bronze 50, they too are exactly what you defined with the elder brothers.

Other speakers which come to mind are Mission QX2, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Heco Victa Prime 302.

Hecos rated freq response is low till 33hz something and sensitively at 90db. But try to Audition these.

@mehul3
Good choices and better even that you have listened to a few of the popular brands.
If not in a hurry, keep a look out for used speakers. They are the safest to buy.

Since you are Mumbai based, call HiFimart and check what options are there for MA and Q Acoustics.
Elac is a picky speaker, pairs well with some amps but not so with others.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi @mehul3
If you have liked the QA3050i then why not try out QA3030i same drivers in smaller footprint.

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 also similarly has a bookshelf for it Monitor Audio Bronze 50, they too are exactly what you defined with the elder brothers.

Other speakers which come to mind are Mission QX2, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Heco Victa Prime 302.

Hecos rated freq response is low till 33hz something and sensitively at 90db. But try to Audition these.
Came here to mention this as well

Thank you for your valuable inputs guys. Means a lot.

I was really keen on hearing the QA 3030i, but could not find them for audition anywhere in Mumbai. Same goes for MA bronze 50 and Oberon.

So, finally have decided to take the plunge and go ahead with the preloved MA Bronze 5, as I was really in love with it the first time I heard them. Hope it pairs well with my Cambridge Azur 540a V2.0

Really excited about it :)

Hi guys,

Sharing my initial impressions with my new MA Bronze 5 - Tidal - DAC interconnects - Khadas Tone Board (ESS Sabre 9038Q2M) - Cambridge Azur 540a V2.0

Full sounding and has a touch of warmth to it, yet all details are revealed in a relaxed and laid back manner. Nothing is forced and it is a fatigue free listen. I am especially impressed with the imaging capabilities and it is as if sound does not come from the speakers itself but within the space between them and a little beyond them. Soundstage is natural, not too wide, but sufficient enough for me. One notable mention is that the sound is very fast and decay is super quick when the piece demands. Highs have a nice feeling of air to it.

When I had heard these with the Onkyo A9050 using my Khadas Tone Board, they were brighter and more sparkle was present. Imaging was a touch more swifter. Cambridge has taken it a notch back, but still reveals all the details and it is a smoother listen.

All in all, glad with my purchase :) Thanks for the inputs out here.

Here are some snaps

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-41-983_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-41-983_com.whatsapp.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-48-407_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-48-407_com.whatsapp.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-44-617_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-44-617_com.whatsapp.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-34-766_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-34-766_com.whatsapp.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-52-093_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-52-093_com.whatsapp.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-55-048_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-03-19-56-55-048_com.whatsapp.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 103
Hi friends,

Hope all doing well. I'm looking to buy a pair of bookshelves or floorstanders under the 40k price bracket. Looking only at 2.0 Stereo passive configuration. Don't plan on adding a sub. Will be used purely for music listening and not for movies. Open to take the preloved route. Not looking to upgrade my amp immediately.

Just to give a background, I'm moving in from headphones into the speaker territory. Have used AKG K712 Pro, and had a listen to headphones like Hifiman Ananda, Sennheiser HD 800s within my friend circle. My Last set of speakers: Wharfedale Vardus VR300 Floorstanders.

Current Chain: Lenovo Ideapad 520 - Tidal Masters - Khadas Tone Board - DAC interconnects - Cambridge Azur 540a V2.0 (60 W per channel)

Setup will be in my living room - 19 x 10 feet plus an additional L-shaped dining area of 10 x 10 feet.

Preferred sound signature: Transparent and natural sounding. Fast transients. Pinpoint imaging. Good extension on both ends. Not looking for a warm signature or boosted bass. Not looking for a V-shaped signature either.

Options that I have heard so far(So that others can get an idea of my sound preference)

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 - Too thick and warm. Too bass-heavy
Monitor Audio Apex 10 - Lack of low-end grunt. Apart from that, they were really clean-sounding.
Mission LX4 MKII - Boosted bass, recessed mids. Did not love the overall balance.
Klipsch RP 600M - Sounded impressive, but a touch too bright.
Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 - Found them to be very transparent. Fast. Bass was a touch on the leaner side though. Overall was satisfied, but not heavily impressed.
Monitor Audio Bronze 5 - The most impressive of the lot. Amazing dynamics, great transient response. 3D sounding. Getting them preloved, but just out of my budget.
Q Acoustics 3050i - Another option that I liked. Had the right amount of low-end heft and was impressed by the scale of sound. A touch on the sweeter side though. Again, out of my budget.

Based on the above info, what all options do I have? The budget is for 40k max. Any help, suggestions from experts will be much appreciated. Thank you :)
Pl add Indiq Diamond Mishra to the Mix! A credible contender.

P.S. Just realized, you have gone with something. Keeping post for posterity.

Where are the outriggers

You do not need to raise them

They are already tuned accordingly

But the outriggers ???

As mentioned above, you do not need to raise them.
If you still prefer them raised, use small wooden stools instead.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back