Best 26" LCD TV ?

Thanks Spiro. Yes I saw that Philips can play more stuff from USB, it was really nice. Yes, I am trying to get the 5609, will be working on it in the coming days. :)

Hello guys,

I had been to Chennai this weekend, to my wife's home. I took some time out and took her to Sony, Samsung & Philips exclusive showrooms (Tambaram & Mount road), and showed her Sony 32 " V550A (Full HD), Samsung 32" B530 (Full HD) and finally, the beautiful Philips 32" 5609 (Full HD). And she too was impressed with the Philips 5609, its sound and picture quality. Sony's & Samsung's were good, but not as good or better than the Philips.

And the part that made her give me the go ahead for Philips was the versatile USB functionality. I had taken couple of movies (Jurassic Park III, GI Joe, ICE Age 3, Dark Knight) in my pen drive which I had downloaded from the internet (regular 700 MB .avi files), in order to test the USB feature, and we both were amzed with the quality of picture & sound that the Philip produced. And it so easy, just plug it & start watching it. Ofcourse it was not crispy clear when watched from a very close distance, but when we were at a distance of 6 to 7 ft (the distance from which we'll be viewing it, in our home), it looked great. We just kept talking of how the cinema experience would be with high quality DVD, and Blu-Ray discs movies, paired with a nice home theater system (we will be buying it in couple of months).:licklips:

And I will be booking my beauty (Philips 5609) in couple of days, and will be getting the delivery this Saturday. We're already debating which movies to see first on it :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for all your help guys, for helping me in choosing my first LCD TV, infact first TV after marriage. :) I wouldnt even have thought about Philips, if I wouldnt have visited this forum. I was sure of buying a Sony before.

I'll post my initial days experience & review soon.
Special thanks to Spiro & Ram.:)

Last edited:
Surely ,you will enjoy Philips.DVDs played from HTPC just look like true HD mov. Ocassionally it looks like plasma with no limited colour.

Yeah Spiro, I am looking forward for the wonderful experience.:)
By the way, everyone here talks about "HTPC". HTPC means Home Theater PC (Personal Computer), right?:rolleyes:

Yeah Spiro, I am looking forward for the wonderful experience.:)
By the way, everyone here talks about "HTPC". HTPC means Home Theater PC (Personal Computer), right?:rolleyes:

Thats true,If you have new PC,you can add graphiccard & soundcard (may not actually necessary for entry level)& turn into HTPC.

oh ok. I dont think I am right now looking forward for that. What I initially want to do is watch some DVD/blu ray movies with my wife, coupled with a nice home theater system (Probably Sony, with tower speakers, which I'll be buying in the coming months.) Wow, that would be a really nice cinematic experience at home. :clapping:

I have played few mkv & they looked amazing.
I am the Legand chase is very watchable without judder.

Oh good to hear that Spiro. I too will enjoy them, soon.
And has anyone here has had any experience with Phillips after sales service, in Bangalore? This is one space where I am very very doubtful about Phillips, though Spiro has had a good experience (but its in Mumbai), and as we will use these products (LCD TVs) for atleast 5 yrs, this is a very important factor.

So please share your views on it guys. I am going to do the payment for my Phillips 5609 tomorrow, so want a final go ahead, about after sales service.
Spiro & Ram, your views (on what you've heard of, about service in B'lore) are also welcome.

Thanks guys.

I think customer care no is same everywhere which I dialed for complaint.
After I called,the other side recognised that I am from Mumbai even though I called from Reliance Base phone.

Yeah the customer care number is probably the same (which number did you use?), but I wanted to know the quality service in Bangalore.

And one more weird thing, when I try to find out Philips authorized service center in any city in India (Was not getting any results for Bangalore, so I tried other cities like Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi), through their website, it says "No Dealers found"! This is very sad, as I am going to buy their product tomorrow. :mad:

I am talking about the below link:

Philips Consumer Products - Service Center Locator

Spiro, have you ever tried the above link?

Before buying LCD,I asked few Q on philipsindia web(contact us)& I got reply,even service centre adress & no.LCD centre is single @ Goregaon,Mumbai.Rest are for other products.

Oh ok. I did the online chat with a Philips representative today, and got the service centers addresses & numbers in Bangalore (there are four). And also called thos toll free numbers published in Philips India website (1800 102 2929, 1860 180 1111, are they really toll free for us, especially from Airtel mobile?)

And my Philips 5609 delivery got delayed, as a famous Kannada actor (Vishnuvardhan) passed away today, and many shops including the Philips Arena showroom, were closed today.:sad:

I expect to get the delivery (after Bajaj approves my finance) on Friday.

Cool down ,you will get it as new yr gift. :eek:hyeah:
Toll free to BSNL/MTNL according to manual.
I called from reliance.

Oh yeah, I think I will be getting it tomorrow (my wife's bday too), so double bonanza, :yahoo: and we will watch some nice movie together via USB. I will be getting my Tata Sky connection on Sunday.

Hey Spiro, you said you had connected your Dish TV via composite and not via component. What is the difference? How is a cable connection like Tata Sky normally supposed to be connected? Does that make a difference to the picture quality? My Tata Sky will be setup this Sunday, so which port should I ask the Tata Sky guy to connect to, on my Philips 5609?

And also Spiro, are you using a Stabilizer for your 5609, if yes which brand is it, V-Guard?

Hey, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL IN THIS FORUM !!!:)

Last edited:
Hey Spiro, you said you had connected your Dish TV via composite and not via component. What is the difference? And also Spiro, are you using a Stabilizer for your 5609, if yes which brand is it, V-Guard?

Hey, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL IN THIS FORUM !!!:)

Add my wishes too.
Dishtv & even old Tatasky STB has composite only.So no opt for me.No stabiliser yet.No powercut these days.
Component > S video > composite

Check you get new STB with Tatasky with component out only.

Taming the Composite, S-Video, Component and RGB Jungle
Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Updates-

Just got call from Dishtv & they said its possible to get component output from current STB(no physically present).I will try to do it from service centre.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Spiro. Oh ok, so I will also check with Tata Sky if they too have the option of Component output, as it seems to be better than Composite.
I've read both the links and the michaeldvd link was very informative, now I've some idea of Component vs S-Video Vs Composite. Thanks for sharing Spiro. :)

And not many power cuts in my area too, but will get one stabilizer soon. Probably V-Guard (as suggested by some people here)...

Last edited:
Hello all,

I finally have got my new Philips 32" 5609 delivered at my home, on the afternoon of Jan 2nd (my wife's bday, also got lot of other stuff too, so her bday was very eventful & exciting:)).

We both are loving it, it looks really beautiful from outside, with the glossy finish and glassy edges. The remote is very light (Sony's was heavier and bigger), and easy to use. I had made a note of few checks to be done on a new TV, which I got from this forum, and had kept a printout with me, while getting the delivery, and I have verified some things like the screw holes, operating hours (it shows 00021, after viewing it for 5 to 6 hrs, so will check it again today to see what does it actually mean).
SD quality (tata Sky) is really good (and feel slightly better than Sony,Samsung & LG, in this segment), and movies from pen drive (DVD quality) was AWESOME. The best part if the sound, it has a very decent bass effect in its sound, and I find this far better than the Sony, Samsung and LG, in the same segment.
The Tata Sky guy had come this Saturday evening to install the STB. I asked him how he found the Tata sky picture quality in my Philips 5609, when compared to other brands like Sony,Samsung, etc (I asked him as he had installed Tata Sky on other houses having these other LCD TVs), and he right away said that he found Philips better than all others. And he said most of the Sony's have prblms with Tata Sky signals. Though he may no be an expert to comment, but I found him reasonably informed about TVs and Satellite Dish.

I wil post some photos, and more experiences, in some time.:) I am enjoying my new TV, and am very happy with my purchase.:yahoo:

Thanks to everyone in this forum, who helped me in deciding my first LCD TV, especially Spiro & Ram.

Last edited:
So we guided correctly.Congrates again. :clapping:

Did you connect Tatasky with component?
Sound- yes ,i had mentioned somewhere that Bass goes low to ?70Hz.

Happy watching.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back