Best 29" CRT television in India?

I am among the lucky few who have the 29PT8836 but the best part was the Rs. 19000 price tag that even a expensive place like Croma in Pune sold it for. I was flat broke but I had to have this television set so with a little help from my colleague it was in my living room in a few hours after purchase.

You need not even strain one bit to see the difference in picture quality between this Philips & a Sony. Sony does rule the segment but I find it hard to understand why they over price their products.

The only big flaw is it is impossible to find a DVD player that will upscale all the way to 1080i over component video. I found one and its a new model Onkyo DV-SP406 but then again at Rs. 15000 it is a little too expensive for a DVD player.

There is a huge difference even when watching TATA Sky on a 100Hz TV. I do not know what the 29PT8836 does but there is a lot less noticeable dot crawl associated with digital broadcasts.

The real king of CRT TV was the Philips 29PT7325 & 29PT9421. I am sure that these two models will shame any modern day full HD LCD/Plasma screen but then again all you got was 29" at an insane Rs. 1Lac. Prices did fall till around Rs. 75000 but it was still expensive

Last edited:
I bought Samsung 29CSZ40 (100Hz, 1080i HD-Ready) in 2007 and since then I have no complains whatsoever regarding the picture quality. It certainly is very crisp and is a treat to watch DVD's on. That time I paid 25K.

The real king of CRT TV was the Philips 29PT7325 & 29PT9421. I am sure that these two models will shame any modern day full HD LCD/Plasma screen but then again all you got was 29" at an insane Rs. 1Lac. Prices did fall till around Rs. 75000 but it was still expensive

Yes those were good TVS but modern technology has gone too far ...... In 1 lack you get 42 Inch 1080 P FHD Plasmas & LCD which are ages ahead .....Just see any 1080 P demo on it...and shher size add advantage!

Re: Why not LCD?

EDIT: This is OT. Didn't know there was another thread going on regarding the aspect ratio. Not able to delete the post.
Dude, I have a HD Bravia and its built in resolution upscaler gives me a fantastic picture with SD broadcasts from my TataSky box(the MPEG artifacts in Tata Sky are still there, but that's Tata Sky's fault and easily visible on CRTs too!)

What spoils SDTV on HD LCDs is Wide zoom. Most people are so ignorant that they stretch the 4:3 picture to fill the whole 16:9 screen. This skews the aspect ratio, makes everything look fat and short and most importantly, blurs the picture.

If you maintain the source aspect ratio of the incoming signal, even SD will look great on your LCD HDTV, especially if its upscaler is good. Its time to kick CRT's ****; I too loved CRTs; but the day I got my Viewsonic VX1940W PC monitor, I was awestruck by the amazing picture. :eek: And I am just as happy with my Sony LCD HDTV. (KLV-32V550A/B; What Hifi group test winner) :yahoo:

The picture is stable and the geometry is perfect; something you never get in any CRT.

In my opinion, wide zoom is not that bad. When I bought my LCD, I used to watch the TV programs in 4:3 ratio for almost 2 months. Then I figured, it's better seeing fat people than having those 2 big black bars on both sides. I guess my brain is automatically taking care of removing the extra fat from whatever I see :licklips:

Last edited:
the Philips pixel plus 29" CRT which i saw a few years ago selling for a lakh was a piece of art.even for that high price it was totally worth it considering it was getting manufactured in Netherlands and the build was unlike any other.

I have never ever seen a CRT which has even half the pic quality what the Philips offered(DVD movies looked almost like HD with pixel plus and DNM).i have owned sony WEGA CRT's which i bought since everyone said sony is the best. then, i found was not true after using it and i regret till date that i missed out on buying the philips pixel plus 29".

after doing my research i found out that philips have invented many technologies in CRT such as 100HZ(early 90's),DNM(1996),pixel plus and many other.

couple of years back when i was hunting for a 42 inch LCD i saw a 34 inch flat screen crt in a Philips showroom and bought it without second thought. I have to say i am enjoying that TV till date.

Last edited:
I owned this Philips 29" PT8836 HDTV Ready few years back. I was very much impressed with the reviews of the model and I was also very much impressed viewing it side by side with Sony.

This model was fully imported from Thailand (one of the cheaper countries than India). So there was no quality control.

I Felt I was a unlucky man as I have to replace three new TV sets as all the sets I received have Genuine faults and I was replaced on all occasion. (Of course I had to fight for it).

the Philips pixel plus 29" CRT which i saw a few years ago selling for a lakh was a piece of art.even for that high price it was totally worth it considering it was getting manufactured in Netherlands and the build was unlike any other.

I have never ever seen a CRT which has even half the pic quality what the Philips offered(DVD movies looked almost like HD with pixel plus and DNM).i have owned sony WEGA CRT's which i bought since everyone said sony is the best. then, i found was not true after using it and i regret till date that i missed out on buying the philips pixel plus 29".

after doing my research i found out that philips have invented many technologies in CRT such as 100HZ(early 90's),DNM(1996),pixel plus and many other.

well if u are comparing a Rs 1 lakh philips crt u cannot compare it to an ordinary wega but atleast to a DRC 100hz wega models such as DA,DB series which were priced anywhere b/w 36k to 60k.but the best crt out there was the sony HR series this tvs was priced more then 32inch lcds in 2006 and was only available in selected sony world showrooms and if in bangalore u would have spotted one in Radio House one of the biggest showrooms for sony products.the amount of detail and contrast the HR series delivered was just amazing,it was the best of the trinitron picture tube with 4 times less pitch size and the best of sony image processing put in a sony crt.these models where only made in japan,unlike other late models which are made in thailand or malyasia.

while the philips models have a good image processing circuits ,it can't match the trinitron picture tube for the shear contrast levels,so when u match the trinitron picture tube with sonys own equivalent of 100hz and DRC engine u get stunning picture quality.but the philips models where cheaper the philips 100hz 29inch models used to be priced about 21k to 23k,while the sonys 29inch 100hz models starts at 36k for DZ.
the made in japan version DA,DB seriesused to cost about 50k+ and HZ series used to cost about 1lakh for 29inch.

Last edited:
Hi,

I really dont know about HD ready CRTs. But among normal CRT's my vote goes to Panasonic Tau 29'. I simply love it with Tatasky and DVD's.

@r5378 - That makes two of us. I am also on OMR:)

cheers,
sri

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back