Best 29" CRT television in India?

PbR, checkout if philips arena people in chennai can help u in transporting it. In pune, It was available with Philips Arena. If u can push them for transporting it, its good for you.

~Ishwar

Hi,

Philips Chennai cannot get it from any other region, thats the way they operate, and Pune Philips Arena (supreme plaza) has 1 in stock, but is skeptical on octroi and any other charges that may be incurred my me, and does not know how much these may add up. Pune quoted 21k.
Looks like a dead end...

I was trying to buy a Philips 29" a fw months back & finally settled for SONY since the model ( I think 7732 or something.. 100 Hz) i had narrowed down was discontinued.

With great difficulty i had managed to locate a dealer with a demo piece.The picture was awesome.By the time i decide to finalise 2 weeks later,The model was not avlb.

From all the posts, its clear that the desired Philips TVs are not avlbl easily.

God save if any of the sets were to develop a problem, I heard the service is pathetic.
Can some one share their experiences abt the customer support?

No Doubt! Sony Is The Best 29" Crt Tv In India. In My Self I Am Using Sony 29" Crt Wega drc (digital Reality Creation) 29m/80,100mhz True Flat Picture Tube Costing Around 73000.00. I Am Using Last 5 Years Is No Compliant And Still Good Working.natural Colors And 2 Tuner Pip, progress Scaning lot Of More Options. Any More Questions?

Last edited:
I had given up on prog scan/100Hz Tv, and just got a Sony KV-SZ292M88. It is connected to a Toshiba SD3960 via component, and TataSky via AV. PQ is excellent for SD.

Hey what's the latest?? Is the Philips model still available somewhere by any chance? Or another company has a comparable model?

After looking around, I think I would buy a samsung Slim Fit CS-29Z57 or a CS-29Z50. Should cost me 17-18K. Does it have progessive scan or 100 Hz?

I would still love to buy a TV with these features and HD. Is there any affordable model offering these?

Try this web site:
Compare India - Televisions

That should help you locate a good 29" CRT. Only problem is it takes some additional research to find out if the TV in question is progressive-scan or not. But with the criteria of "Sony, Panasonic, etc." + "26 inches or higher" + "below Rs. 20,000" there are few choices.

The one problem that still remains with the CRTs available is the aspect-ratio -- there are simply no widescreen displays available. Given the falling prices of 32" LCD displays and upconverting DVD players it may be better to go in for such a combination instead.

I am not sure but you can still try for Philips model at 2 Delhi showrooms: 22149595 and 23742578.

all the best

Hi guys this is my first post.I have a good news for thosse who are in hunt for the 29" 100Hz philips television.Yesterday I went thru this thread and out of curiosity i enquired a local dealer in my place about the 29pt8836 the dealer phoned the philips main dealer in chennai and told me that this particular model is availabel and it costs 24990INR.:)

Hi guys this is my first post.I have a good news for thosse who are in hunt for the 29" 100Hz philips television.Yesterday I went thru this thread and out of curiosity i enquired a local dealer in my place about the 29pt8836 the dealer phoned the philips main dealer in chennai and told me that this particular model is availabel and it costs 24990INR.:)

Oh? Good...where is your 'local place'?
PbR

24990INR Don't you think that's too high a price for such an old model..
Again no good news for me.. I need this in Patna.. very far from Chennai..

Not a very helpful comment - but THE BEST CRT telly I ever saw in my life was a Philips. 8 times overpixelating or something. Appeared on the Indian market several years ago. I saw it when it was being launched. Boy, it was easy to mistake it for a Plasma. It was THAT clear. I was watching it from a distance of 3-4 feet. Try that with an ordinary 29" CRT telly :rolleyes:

Initialy I was @ to purchase 42" HD Ready Plasma costing around 50K-55. But many forum members suggested for Full HD. Hence I was looking for a good 29" CRT @ 12-13K for a period of year or two after which I would have gone for 42" or bigger Full HD Plasma/LCD/LED LCD. I came to know @ the Philips model & learned our forum member Ishwar had the same. Ishwar informed me that Sumaria Mumbai used to have it. I enquired with Sumaria Chembur Mumbai and they had one demo piece available(The price quoted 14K with One year warranty with exchange of my old AKAI 2167P Model). After negotiations Sumaria did not reduce the price but offered without exchange. I watched the Philips set for 2 hrs in store and found no flaws. Bought at home today and is on since 4 PM. I sold my old TV today for 1K. So the net price is 13K. The picture is absolute stunning and worth the risk of 13K.
Special Thanks to Ishwar..:)

Hello everybody
I am not here to tell you about the best one, but to warn u to not try any panasonic model. It will be hell. Panasonic tvs are 2nd most costliest, but worst in quality. You will just go on discovering the type of problems, a crt TV can have & enjoy counting the numbers. Service is also highly unsatisfactory. Even its LCDs models are worst. Beware of PANASONIC.

never ever try PANASONIC. U will just go on pulling your hairs.

Buddy any specific instances as forus oes GaGa over Panasonic? As I an see the commnt is in late night or very early morning - can you elobrate your expereince please??

Why not LCD?

Dude, I have a HD Bravia and its built in resolution upscaler gives me a fantastic picture with SD broadcasts from my TataSky box(the MPEG artifacts in Tata Sky are still there, but that's Tata Sky's fault and easily visible on CRTs too!)

What spoils SDTV on HD LCDs is Wide zoom. Most people are so ignorant that they stretch the 4:3 picture to fill the whole 16:9 screen. This skews the aspect ratio, makes everything look fat and short and most importantly, blurs the picture.

If you maintain the source aspect ratio of the incoming signal, even SD will look great on your LCD HDTV, especially if its upscaler is good. Its time to kick CRT's ****; I too loved CRTs; but the day I got my Viewsonic VX1940W PC monitor, I was awestruck by the amazing picture. :eek: And I am just as happy with my Sony LCD HDTV. (KLV-32V550A/B; What Hifi group test winner) :yahoo:

The picture is stable and the geometry is perfect; something you never get in any CRT.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back