Best AVR for music

hauntedhunter

Hi All,

I have asked this question in different threads,but I thought it wasn't appropriate to ask it in stereo amp thread,so asking for help from all audiophiles :

I need to buy an AVR but my purpose is music first and then movies and my budget is very very limited ( Rs 15K ) for the AVR.

I need an AVR instead of a stereo amp for some reason although music is my first priority and I truly understand and believe than no AVR can match an integrated stereo amp in terms of sound quality but still....:(

Please suggest me the best musical receiver under 15K INR .

Please help me out

(Regarding speakers I'm planning to buy 2*Wharfedale 9.2 + 1 sub ( not decided yet ) )

I need to use the AVR in 2.1 mode only,I don't plan to use a 5.1 setup :)

Please help !

I need an AVR instead of a stereo amp for some reason although music is my first priority and I truly understand and believe than no AVR can match an integrated stereo amp in terms of sound quality but still....:(

:confused: You have lost me there... honestly!

1. Music is your priority
2. You plan to have only 2 speaks and a sub arrangement.
3. You don't plan to use 5.1 - possibly never!!

Why then, do you want an AVR - it serves absolutely no purpose!!??!! You will get some excellent stereo amps for that budget - and an absolute compromise of an AVR (I wont use the word 'SAD'). You are in effect spending money to get the opposite of what you like and want! (sonically)

Well.. If you must have a cheap AVR then I recommend you try looking at the used Nakamichi in the 'For Sale' thread. Alternatively you can look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 340R. (though I don't know if it'll come for 15k).

Reasons :

1.I need to connect an active subwoofer as I love bass and do watch a lot of action/war movies.The cheapest stereo amp I could find that has a pre-out is CA 540AV2 which cost around 18k :(

2. I have tata sky + DVD player so everytime I need to switch between these two sources,I need to unplug one and connect the other ( sometimes it's irritating to get off the bed and change the source :( )

I actually would have loved to buy a stereo amp if even problem 1 is solved.I guess I can live with problem 2 :)

I guess CA 340R costs around 25k :(

Please suggest

Reasons :

1.I need to connect an active subwoofer as I love bass and do watch a lot of action/war movies.The cheapest stereo amp I could find that has a pre-out is CA 540AV2 which cost around 18k :(

2. I have tata sky + DVD player so everytime I need to switch between these two sources,I need to unplug one and connect the other ( sometimes it's irritating to get off the bed and change the source :( )

I actually would have loved to buy a stereo amp if even problem 1 is solved.I guess I can live with problem 2 :)

I guess CA 340R costs around 25k :(

Please suggest

http://www.hifivision.com/sale/2805-nakamichi-audio-video-stereo-receiver.html

Take it look at that - @ 9k -- It has some good reviews - It will address #1 but you will still have to get up to click a button to switch sources(no remote apparently - but nothing that a universal remote wont solve!)

Wrt to the CA try asking the local dealers - I have seen street prices to be much lower than MRPs

You should also try Norge etc - however I have no clue on how they sound.

Last edited:
This is my first audio setup and have saved money for months to buy this,so wanna buy new stuff only :)

I read about Marantz SR301 that its's an AVR that has good music capabilities ? Any idea ?

Do you know the price of 540A V2 ?

Thanks a lot for all the help mate. :)

You are welcome!

I was just going to suggest getting in touch with dealers in your city - you would almost always get excellent deals from people who have been struck by 'upgraditis':) ... But if used equipment is out then....

And sorry the answer is NO to both. CA prices can be had from their dealers (details on their website) ; and I haven't heard the Marantz - though lately I am being told that Marantz is good only if you go for the higher end models - and not the middle and lower. (this mind you is what I was told - it is not my opinion)

Just one question :

If the source of music is MP3 does a CD player / amplifier makes any difference to the overall sound quality ?

Please throw some light :)

In one word - YES.

The first thing I learnt in Audio - "Shit in - Shit out" :D

(Not trying to start a war on the pro's and cons of MP3)

Remember - the amp will output whatever you feed it - some add their own colouration, some actually detract. Sound is hugely personal - trust your ears - and only YOUR ears!!

In my view - technically yes - only if the amp allows you to play A+B at the same time. (Some amps do - I dont know if all do) .

The best option would be to pick up an amp with a sub out.

My honest opinion would be to start considering the pro's and cons of a used amp. It is electronics - there is NO wear and tear (marginal at best - unlike speakers). You will be able to get far better results for the money you are proposing to spend. The proof of the pudding - like the say - is in eating it. So in this case what does it matter so long as you get the sound you are looking for.

But if the amp allows to play A+B,Is there any issue with that? (As the amp with sub out is costly :( )

I can manage with adjusting the volume of the sub from the speaker :)

Also which is better :

Connecting the sub to speaker B or rec out ?

Please help to understand as I'm really a newbie ( constrained on budget too :) )

Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back