Best Budget DVD Player?

venkatcr

For those looking for a real budget DVD Player, we may have some good news from Toshiba. After losing out in the HD war, Toshiba decided to go back to the drawing board, and swore to the world they will make the ordinary DVD better than Blu-Ray. With their XDE processing, they may not have succeeded in that, but they seem to have produced a superb budget player.

Using the Zohran Valdis 966 processor for audio decoding and the Zohran HD Extreme 2 chip for scaling, the Toshiba XD-500 has scored a perfect 100 in Secrets Benchmark test. This is, mind you, only thorough HDMI. It scores 52.5% through component, but who uses component nowadays?

At 99 dollars (Rs.4,500) this looks an absolute steal. According to the authors, the XD-500E performs superbly for music, and the one place the Oppo beats it is in the Oppo's 'warmth' as far as music goes. Toshiba is more transparent according to the authors.

The XD-500E may not be available in India as Toshiba has never been very active here. But those who travel regularly, or have someone coming from elsewhere in the world, it may be worthwhile to pick a piece up.

For more details read the review at Toshiba XD-E500 DVD Player - Benchmark - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Of course, Brian Alvarez and Adrian Wittenberg are looking at the XD-E500 skeptically (How-can-anything-be-better-than-the-Oppo?), but they do have a lot of admiration sprinkled across the review, grudgingly though.

Shall some of us get together, set up a company, and import a few 100 pieces? I believe customs duties are going to be cut. So we may actually smile in all this recession.

Cheers

Great news Venkat for budget DVDP customers like me. Toshiba has a presence in the laptop markets in India. Many vendors sell Toshiba laptops officially with bill and warranty. Are the laptop business and the video business looked after by different sections of the company, then?

Great news Venkat for budget DVDP customers like me. Toshiba has a presence in the laptop markets in India. Many vendors sell Toshiba laptops officially with bill and warranty. Are the laptop business and the video business looked after by different sections of the company, then?

Toshiba has almost full presence now. I have seen their Regza LCD TVs/Washing Machines and Refrigerators at Spar Hypermart in Bangalore. Only thing is I didn't find any DVD player. Need to check with their zonal office or something to see if they have any plans.

That is the one. Even in this article, Riyad Emeran acknowledges that the player is good. His confusion is why invest in DVD now when Blu-Ray player prices are hovering around 300$. It is not fair to compare a DVD Player with the output of a Blu-Ray player.

In India we are yet at least 2 years away from time when Blu-Ray will become as common as DVD is today. It does make sense to buy a DVD Player that is good with video, and one that can be replaced without worry when Blu-Ray become common. Investing under 10,000 for a DVD Player such as the Toshiba would make sense.

Cheers

Last edited:

Asit , usually computers and consumer electronics are two different division of such large companies. Yes, Toshiba has been active in the PC/Laptop business, but I have not seen too many of their consumer electronics products in India. Have to wait and see if they will come to the country with this player. Pioneer has just now become active in spite of the fact that a large number of their products are being sold in the country.

let us see what happens. In the meantime, if you can get someone to get you a piece from Dubai/Singapore or some such country, it might make sense.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back