Best contrast levels?

jagadishareddy

Dear friends;

My question is which is the best in contrast TV in the market?

Why I asked this question is. Because of the competition in the market we see so many TVs coming with more contrast level day in and day out. And it is growing to extreme level. For example it started with 1000:1, then came 5000:1, then there was 10000:1 and 15000:1 and 20000:1 and 50000:1 and 100000:1 and 200000:1 and 1000000:1 and 2000000:1 and now it is mega contrast (LED TVs) level.

Now which is the best contrast for a good TV. Well CRT TVs have gone (may be in 1or 2 years). Why is the contrast levels are going up like anything? Is there so much effect on us? Do we need so much of contrast level for a TV? Dose it make that much difference?
Can we make out the difference? If we dont then why we need so much of contrast level? Will there be any effect on our eyes?

Dear friends;

My question is which is the best in contrast TV in the market?

Why I asked this question is. Because of the competition in the market we see so many TVs coming with more contrast level day in and day out. And it is growing to extreme level. For example it started with 1000:1, then came 5000:1, then there was 10000:1 and 15000:1 and 20000:1 and 50000:1 and 100000:1 and 200000:1 and 1000000:1 and 2000000:1 and now it is mega contrast (LED TVs) level.

Now which is the best contrast for a good TV. Well CRT TVs have gone (may be in 1or 2 years). Why is the contrast levels are going up like anything? Is there so much effect on us? Do we need so much of contrast level for a TV? Dose it make that much difference?
Can we make out the difference? If we dont then why we need so much of contrast level? Will there be any effect on our eyes?

Speaking of LCDs - If you have got a chance to read any good articles on 'contrast ratios', they all say that there is no set industry standards to 'measure' contrast levels. Hence, each manufacturers have their own ways of measuring contrast. Thus, in the absence of any standardization, one really cannot compare contrast ratios of different manufactures and say one is better than the other based on numbers alone.

If you see the SONY India website they do not talk about 'contrast ratios' in their specs. However, SONY LCDs have one of the best contrast. The contrast ratio is established by contrasting the brightest white that the screen can produce with the darkest black as can be viewed. SAMSUNG LCDs also have very good contrasts.

LCD Technicalities: Do Contrast Ratios Matter? : LCD Technicalities: How Important Are Contrast Ratios? - Review Tom's Hardware is a good article on contrast ratios.

well the contrast ratios quoted by manufactures todays are the dynamic contrast,i.e the brightest whites and the darkest blacks that can be shown by the display,which may be good for marketing.like in audio PMPO.
but the contrast measurement that makes some sense is the ANSI contrast the ability of a display to show both deep blacks and bright whites at the same time.this is where lcds from panasonic,lg,philips,hitachi and other IPS based tvs suffer.where as the samsung and sony lcds based on SPVA/AMVA have high ANSI contrast which surpass majority of the plasmas outhere such as ur PV8/x10, samsung and lg plasmas.
the LED tvs which samsung is misleading are actualy lcds with LED edgelight which is just like a backlight but mounted on the sides.they have the same ANSI contrast as the normal CCFL backlight lcds.
but LED backlight lcds such as the sony 46,55inch X450A lcds have local dimming LED backlight(sony goes one step further with TRI-Luminous RGB LEDs) which increases even the ANSI contrast upto some extent.

so simply put those dynamic contrast numbers are bull.the ANSI contrast of IPS based tvs are around 500 to 1200:1.the SPVA/AMVA based tvs like sony/samsung are around 2000 to 4000:1.some sony models surpass even those figures.
the plasmas such as pv8/x10/samsung/lg plasmas can show a contrast around 1200:1 to 1800:1,the panasonic G10/v10 have a contrast around 2300 to 3300:1 ,where as the leader in plasma the pioneer kuro can show a contrast of around 3600:1
the OLED on the other hand can show a contrast of infinite.

Last edited:
Well don't both to look at dynamic contrast ratio as the no's are inflated.

Most of the sets out there are maxing out to 20000:1 .

Well look at the picture and buy a set that gives overall good picture that suits the eye, just looking at the contrast ratio is no good.

As there are sets out there with low contrast ratios but excellent picture quality.

Personally i keep my set between 50 to 65% settings for watching most of the content, i don't like too bright pictures, also depends the enviorment you are watching the set in, if its a dark room, lower settings will work well.

If it is a brightly lit room u may need to turn up the settings to get a similar picture.

Well don't both to look at dynamic contrast ratio as the no's are inflated.

Most of the sets out there are maxing out to 20000:1 .

Well look at the picture and buy a set that gives overall good picture that suits the eye, just looking at the contrast ratio is no good.

As there are sets out there with low contrast ratios but excellent picture quality.

Personally i keep my set between 50 to 65% settings for watching most of the content, i don't like too bright pictures, also depends the enviorment you are watching the set in, if its a dark room, lower settings will work well.

If it is a brightly lit room u may need to turn up the settings to get a similar picture.
well actualy no sets even cross the 10000:1 don't know how manufactures come up with those figures.
well its true that the one should'nt look at contrast levels alone,image processing makes a crucial difference,but that said contrast levels are crucial too,when big sized lcds where first launched the the biggest drawback was the contrast,which was strongly used by the plasma camp,but today lcds from samsung and sony have surpassed or matched the contrast levels of the best of the plasma.
secondly in plasmas ur settings are about correct,but in lcds increasing the contrast doesn't make the image look too bright for comfort but rather the blacks are deepend,shadow details are increased,its only when u start increasing the backlight does the image will start to look too bright.
plasma settings are more like the setting in crt,where increasing the picture/contrast settings beyond 50% will start to take a toll on our eyes.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back