Best CRT tv

Dear venkat,
I was browsing thr.Best CRT thread and i feel yr opinion was really informative and i thought to disturb u with my dilemma so that may be yr guidance will help me.
I wish to buy a new TV.
My viewing conditions are
1.i need the TV for whole family sitting across
2.I mostly (90%) watch DTH thr,Dish TV
3.our total viewing time is abt 6 hrs
4.my budget is around 50K but i dont want to buy something costly as comapred to my viewing time nd content.
5.I gone thr auditions of Many LCD nd few plasma models but honestly the wide format of LCD makes dish PQ little streched nd persons seems fatty.and plasma as many dealers say it will be soon dead
6.So my dilemma is whether to buy CRT or LCD? Ya i gone thr all the threads telling pros nd cons of both but i feel jumbled so while i was reading yr post ,i felt that may be u will better help me.

Thanks in advance

Well.... it is really good that even in these days of LCDs and Plasmas, there is a dedicated post for CRT TVs. I am a proud owner of two CRT TVs .....
..... I own a Panasonic [T] Tau CRT TV TC-21T200. It has a QuintrixF picture tube (that uses an Invar Shadow Mask) ...... a tube made in Malaysia. The images are true to life and real. It gives a grand image .. the scenes on Animal Planet and Discovery when the animals walk on deserts with the sunset background are just beautiful. I enjoy watching TV channels and DVD in full glory. :)
...... I bought a Panasonic bcos SONY was a little more expensive during my college days. But when I started earning, I heard a year back that SONY is going to stop its CRT production. I thought to myself "Why not grab a SONY CRT before all models are sold out?". Without delaying much, I bought a SONY Trinitron (KV-AZ213M83) for 10,900 INR :lol:.
....... The image produced by a SONY TV is way too superior to other TVs bcos it uses a Trinitron pic tube. It's too good to be enjoyed in my small hall! Being a 60 Hz TV, the images are just superb compared to 50 Hz TVs. It also has Sparkling Wega 2.0, Intelligent Picture Plus, Velocity Modulation. In a nutshell, I would say the images truly rival an LCD TV's images ! And sound is also spectacular - it has TruSurround, WOW and Simulated Surround. What more do we want? :yahoo:
Few days ago, my friend purchased a SHARP CRT TV against my recommendations of Panasonic and SONY. The reason he gave was: his old SHARP Optonica TV lasted for 15 years without a single problem !
I think people running behind LCD TVs is a mere craze created by marketing gimmicks. If panel of a plasma or LCD fails, it is gonna cost as much as the TV itself ! My vote is for CRT TVs. But yes there is one problem with CRT TVs..... they don't support HD technology. :sad:
If someone is looking for CRT TVs, the best TVS as per my opinion and observation are :

#1. SONY .... ooops ! not available anymore ! :mad:
#2. SHARP (still uses imported pic tube!) :)
#3. Panasonic (uses a local SAMTEL Pic tube). :indifferent14:
#4. LG ( value for money but pic quality inferior to above 2 brands).
#5. I don't know ( cos i never consider any other brands LOL ! :eek:hyeah:).

Last edited:
#1. SONY .... ooops ! not available anymore ! :mad:
#2. SHARP (still uses imported pic tube!) :)
#3. Panasonic (uses a local SAMTEL Pic tube). :indifferent14:
#4. LG ( value for money but pic quality inferior to above 2 brands).
#5. I don't know ( cos i never consider any other brands LOL ! :eek:hyeah:).

You might want to add JVC in that list. I bought mine a year back, and it has delighted me every day that goes by..But it may not be available as commonly as the LG's and Samsungs which seem to pop up in every small store apart from the mega-stores..Got mine from Vijay Sales..

Even if I go for a Plasma or a Projector in future, I am not letting go of this beauty for sure..

Well, MetalBandit, I know JVC is a great brand. But I have never seen a JVC TV in India! How do i comment on it? This is a nation where only the marketed brands suceed, not the quality ones ! :rolleyes:
By the way, what is the size/model # of your JVC TV? Is it true that JVC's service and support in India is handled by Onida?

Last edited:
I ma told by a used dealer that a Philips 36 Inch CRT MAY be available for 12 -14 K ( or more)
Anyne expereinced these? How big are they?

Worth buying?( anyway strong opposition from wife before any decision!)

But yes there is one problem with CRT TVs..... they don't support HD technology
I have two 29'' CRT. One is Panasonic 29FX20CDS3 & other is Philips 29PT8836. Panasonic is good but Philips is killer. It is Pixel Plus29" real flat HD Ready. For more info...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/29pt8836_94/29pt8836_94_pss_aen.pdf
but sadly it is no more available. I had connected Oppo 983H via component to it, set the output to 1080p and it cleared all doubts in my mind whether HD ready CRT can handle and display 1080p content.

Well, if the Philips you are planning to buy is a Pixel Plus CRT then buying it would be great decision. Pixel Plus was a landmark in TV technology, I heard. And make sure it is HD Ready...all channels will become HD sooner or later !

Last edited:
Well, MetalBandit, I know JVC is a great brand. But I have never seen a JVC TV in India! How do i comment on it? This is a nation where only the marketed brands suceed, not the quality ones ! :rolleyes:
By the way, what is the size/model # of your JVC TV? Is it true that JVC's service and support in India is handled by Onida?

The Model number is AV29RX18. It's a 29 incher.

You are right. Even I saw the JVC around January'09 in a store at Thane. Fedders Lloyd is the Indian distributor, and I have to say they are doing a very bad job of marketing this quality brand in India. Even most of my colleagues and friends have never heard of JVC.

Acting fast on a tipoff by our own HFV member, Hemant Waghe, last year on Gudhi Padwa, I bought this one at an absolutely killer price of 9490. Thanks again Hemant..

And yes, even the dealer told me that the service is still being handled by Onida, who used to have a technical collaboration with JVC earlier.

Metal Bandit.....hope you're still enjoying your JVC well. Well 9000+ is a very good price for a JVC 29 inch model. Good deal. Regarding Lloyd's, they have their own LCD TVs ... why would they market JVC TVs effectively? JVC's mistake!

I saw a 34 inch Videocon CRT TV today for just Rs. 8990 ! It's a non-flat non-HD model ! No info available on website :rolleyes: ! Can anybody throw some light on this model ?

Last edited:
I ma told by a used dealer that a Philips 36 Inch CRT MAY be available for 12 -14 K ( or more)
Anyne expereinced these? How big are they?

Worth buying?( anyway strong opposition from wife before any decision!)

Hemant: I saw one sell in Chennai for 7k. Its a very good TV but BUT you need check on the condition as you wont get any replacement

Dear venkat,
I was browsing thr.Best CRT thread and i feel yr opinion was really informative and i thought to disturb u with my dilemma so that may be yr guidance will help me.
I wish to buy a new TV.
My viewing conditions are
1.i need the TV for whole family sitting across
2.I mostly (90%) watch DTH thr,Dish TV
3.our total viewing time is abt 6 hrs
4.my budget is around 50K but i dont want to buy something costly as comapred to my viewing time nd content.
5.I gone thr auditions of Many LCD nd few plasma models but honestly the wide format of LCD makes dish PQ little streched nd persons seems fatty.and plasma as many dealers say it will be soon dead
6.So my dilemma is whether to buy CRT or LCD? Ya i gone thr all the threads telling pros nd cons of both but i feel jumbled so while i was reading yr post ,i felt that may be u will better help me.

Thanks in advance

Hi Venkat!

I think it is better you go for CRT for your budget of 50K cos...

1) CRT is the most stable proven and robust technology for TVs. CRT(pic tubes) hardly fail! But if the panel of LCD TV/ Plasma fails, you need to invest as much as the TV.

2) CRT TVs don't have viewing angle problems. But in LCDs, blacks look washed out from an angle... family members sitting in the corner of the hall might not be able to watch TV clearly.

3) I have Panasonic and SONY CRT TVs....both are amazing for my Sun Direct DTH connection. My friend too a SHARP CRT TV for 7500 rupees a few days ago and is amazed by its performance.

But there is just one problem with CRT : CRT TVs lack High-Def Support. As Set Top Boxes are going High-Def these days, all channels will become High Def in a few more years. You won't be able 2 enjoy High-Def channels on a CRT TV. Don't invest heavily on a cassette player when CDs have come into the market!

So, I'd suggest the following: For the time being invest in an inexpensive CRT TV (currently 21" and 29" models are available for less than 10K) to enjoy watching DTH. For best quality, make sure you buy a CRT TV of one of the brands that I've mentioned in my post. After 3-4 years, when High-Def signals become common, buy an High-Def capable LCD or Plasma TV (that would have become even cheaper by then). By the way, in which city do you live? For any questions get back to me.

-Royal Analog.

Last edited:
Don't invest heavily on a cassette player when CDs have come into the market!

Interesting, I invested more on my cassette player bcos 10 yrs back I could only dream of owning it now the technology is gone, these beautiful players sell for rock bottom prices. My NAK still is miles ahead of the CD players and my investment is 10 times worth its money :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back