Best Downloaded Movie File Organizer

haisaikat

All,
I am on lookout for a software (freeware / purchase both works fine) that will be able to seacrh every folder and subfolder of my portable HDD and list all movies along with their full media info like Size, Play Time, Audio Video channels and Bitrates (must). A probability to share this list online is a nice to have (else I will create a public google doc spreadsheet and share).

I did see a couple of such softwares online but none offered all of the following in one place
1. No need to add each file manually, software will automatically search in folders and sub folders starting from the top folder
2. Media information of movies like play time, bitrate, video - audio resoluition, channels, should be automatically captured.
3. capability to export the list to excel / csv.

The need of such a software is must for all like us who have downloaded contents but do not have the time to list them manually.

XBMC. It is best for movie, songs and photo archiving. For movies it will fetch all details from net and will show you the poster, ratings, artist and director info, year, plot of the movie etc. Give it a try. XBMC

I have installed this software. UI looks very good. It does automatic searching and inline playback as well. Can you please let me know if it by itself or via any add-on or plugin supports excel / csv export of library (or online links) along with media info like size, play time, bit rte etc?

In my case while downloading the only thing i look for is the story line, 1080P, but should be above 6gb, more the gb, great, even if it is 12gb, and will go for the movie which has the maximum seeders and lechers.

I must have downloaded over 500 movies mostly in 720P, but since last 10 months i am getting only 1080P, but once i am through with the movie, , i delete them in most cases therefore i do not look for having a record for the size, play time, audio & video details, bitrates, posters, etc.

The only thing which i do is to keep a record of the movie names in excel file which i have downloaded so that by mistake i do not load the same movie again.

V.

Last edited:
^^ I download brrip files of size around 3GB as I have only a night unlimited 2mbps broadband connection which gives only 90kbps in reality. It will take two or three days to download a movie as I use two cuncurrent downloads to get the maximum download speed possible. With a single download the speed may reach only 60-70kbps. These files are best for watching on a laptop or on an LCDTV from a sufficient distance. However we can see pixellations if watch closely. I keep only the intersted files in my media player but is seldom watched twice.

Hi Baiju, I tried these links and am able to convert to csv. However in the exported xml xbmc is not out putting video and audio codec info, file size, etc. These are must for me as many a time I find say a better quality file with someone else and at that time having such a list is informative in comparing the copy with my downloaded version without actually carrying the movie or opening it once again to view the codec info.

Indeed that is the point, with most of us we seldom watch a movie twice, so i wonder why many of them keep loads of watched movies in their hard disk that too with so much of information related to the movies in terms of size, duration, etc?

V.

I keep only the intersted files in my media player but is seldom watched twice.

Last edited:
Yes Vinay, we seldom see same movie twice.
But by keeping a copy we can get exchanges from friends, if its a good movie:)

Indeed that is the point, with most of us we seldom watch a movie twice, so i wonder why many of them keep loads of watched movies in their hard disk that too with so much of information related to the movies in terms of size, duration, etc?

V.

I keep good movies so that my family or friends can watch them. I have faced situations like friends asking for movies which I just deleted. Same case for music files. I have around 20k songs which I'm sure most of them I will never hear again.

Indeed if the movies are good it is worth keeping for family and friends.

The point is many a times we are holding heap of movies for years, all this often just for the sake of a collection show case or we do not want to delete because so much of effort has gone into the downloading etc.

During earlier days i used to keep all the movies and then i realized it is not worth a inch, so i delete after watching though i continued to keep the movies which i liked a lot, but these too i started deleting because there are so many un-watched movies stock we have and to top it always more down loadings are happening 24 X 7.

V.

Last edited:
I use Karen's Directory Printer to pull details off data on HDDs/DVDs. I'm not sure if all the attributes you want will get extracted, but this software can manage to get quite a bit of information out.

I've used this SW on data already saved and written to DVD. The data that I have currently gets updated/entered manually into an Excel File as and when I write it to DVD.

Call me a hoarder, but I keep everything. When I have enough "data" to write a DVD, it gets written to DVD, the contents get screenshot and saved, the DVD gets labelled, and the details (file details + DVD number) are entered into a master Excel file.

I can find stuff I got 2 years back in a few seconds. I do need to re-access the data often enough (such is the nature of the hobby), so this system is very handy for my purposes.

^^ Yes, it can. It will work with HDDs (internal or external), pen drives, anything.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back